RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   Badius Owners Club III (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/6371525-badius-owners-club-iii.html)

tam popo 01-16-2008 08:45 PM

RE: Badius Owners Club III

Guys - I'll have to mke this quick, Daddy's Taxi Service is needed....
EZ* Flight report - weather great, no wind, sunshine(!!), and no rain, thats a first for January. Ok, I'll keep it short - bloody fantastic days flying, the best ever in 2 years Put 2 packs thru the SS, which is now b/less and almost vert, plus the trim is spot on, landing is a breeze its that slow. Same with 3D Tribute and didn't even crash one of them, all intact. Then came the EZ* - wow. Only problem was the 2200 3S lipo is a dud now I think, it didn't put out enough for the 480 brushed it was that bad. So I left it in the nose and put a 1300 3S pack on top and that was the start of some of the best flights I've had with the EZ*. The extra weight of the 1300 pack made a big difference and it jut cruised around - I could have gone for a walk and come back and it would still be there at 200ft. Brought it down perfectly and used 2 more 1000 3S packs (all I had with me). And the beauty came home in one piece - fantastic. I had the biggest grin ever and it hasn't gone yet. See ya later guys.....

tam popo 01-16-2008 08:52 PM

Guys - Bora dar (Welsh - good morning) - I saw a bunch of guys once chasing sheep and asked why, one guy said "Well, you gotta get a good looking one, aint you"!!!! Dioch an vow (Thanks guys).....

Stingray69 01-16-2008 09:03 PM

Nice flyin Tam. Throw away your glue. A no-wind day is like a day in paradise. It tames even the wildest flying planes. Hope you have another session like that again soon.

Our weather tomorrow will have me grounded. HDL will be my agenda. I will hopefully score some brownie points for when the brown truck arrives next week. Charlie M's comin to town. [X(]

TerryE 01-16-2008 09:09 PM

Lou:

The JR servos are not recommended fo\r the Rex 600.

Here are some comments from Helifreak:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are borderling on a 600E. JR/Spketrum says up to .30 nitro and .50 electric, but that is the edge.

I run them on my Hurricane 550, and that is .30 electric and about as large as I would go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally would not run a ds821. User error or not, they have a reputation of failing.

I assume they mean on 4.8v, I am not sure about 6v.

Here is the link to the thread:http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....990#post513990

Terry

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 01-16-2008 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lou, what a wonderful idea:D, we'll get Mike to tell us the proper incrediments and well dip you! That might solve your problems;), it's a whole-istic method anyway;);):D:D.

Fahim, the reason I posted that link to the pushrods is that thoes don't have to be bent. They have connectors on each end the L end goes into the control horn and the servo gets a keeper that is adjustable. That allows you to adjust the servos for balance. To answer your question, a Z bender is best, but it costs more than the pushrod kit. Next would be a pair of pliers setting the first angle, then a pair of needle so setting the second at 1/4" or less. Bend the wire, the use the needle nose and bend again. Both wires have to be just right. I'll say again I recommend you hit up the hobby store and get the pushrod kit. It will make your build easier.

Flight report:D:D, 2 1/4 batteries through the cessna and I was starting a 3rd when my nephew arrived and wanted to fly something. The cessna flights were fairly simple, but I'm getting my turns more even and while it is not aerobatic, got some good corkscrews and hard turns. I think it is entirely good practice.

Here are some build pics of the bug.

Tim

CaptainRandy 01-16-2008 09:42 PM

Tam,

Very Nice job. I could see your smile all the way over here.:D It's such a great feeling when everything goes right.

Tim,

Can't wait to hear of a great SU flight. I still haven't fixed mine yet.

The wife has me pretty busy the last few days. We are doing some painting and re decorating. Gotta admit it looks pretty nice.

Just wait till I tackle my garage. It's going to look like a Home & Garden makeover. Pappy's little Hanger:D

TerryE 01-16-2008 09:56 PM

Pappy;

In true HGTV style, take before & after pics :)

TE

ktaylor 01-16-2008 09:57 PM

Terry, it's not the voltage that the DS821 have a problem with, in heli's it the vibrations of the heli beating the air into submission that kills the gears in them. FOr real. I got this from JR's site.

Tech Notes

The DS821 servo is a powerful, accurate sport digital servo recommended for RC airplane applications up to 1.20-size. For helicopters, the DS821 operates best with 30-size glow models, and up to 50-size electric. Loads and vibration in larger models may cause premature failure of the servo resulting in damage or injury to property and persons.

Important: Do not use liquid thread lock with the DS821 servo!

Do not use any form of liquid thread lock to secure the servo arm screw to the output shaft of the DS821 servo. Chemicals in these liquids react with the polycarbonate gear set causing the plastic to become brittle, fracturing the final output gear.

TerryE 01-16-2008 10:02 PM

So, based on this, do you think I will be OK? I have no experience with these servos, so need your expert advice.

Terry

ORIGINAL: ktaylor

up to 50-size electric Loads and vibration in larger models may cause premature failure of the servo resulting in damage or injury to property and persons..

ktaylor 01-16-2008 10:07 PM

Um, we're looking at how much money into that helicopter,, and JR actually posts that on thier own site,,, no I wouldn't use them for this application.

EDIT, actually, Terry, when it comes to Heli's I am totally clueless. Better get someone's advice that is more knowledgeable about helis particularly the T-rex 600.

TerryE 01-16-2008 10:11 PM

Ken;

What about the UH servos you were testing? What would you recommend?

***** Everyone: I will get the servos. I know what the original thought was, but I have some Christmas money and will get the servos myself. I just need your advice on what to get. You guys have already done WAY too much. I am serious, please, I will get the servos.

Terry

TerryE 01-16-2008 10:13 PM

Ken;

Could you post a link to the servos you were testing from UH? I will ask about them on HeliFreak

Thanks

Terry

ktaylor 01-16-2008 10:20 PM

I have been using two of these. Metal gears. I have one in the Sporter on the Rudder, same on the Chipmunk now. Very good servos. Precise & strong, 132 ounces torque. Reviews say that a guy is using them on a Raptor.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=3880

Unfortunately they always go out of stock. But here is it's brother, same manufacturer, plastic gears. Has good reviews. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5426

ktaylor 01-16-2008 10:23 PM

I also stumbled onto this store..

http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/StoreFront

Terry, here's a review that applies to the metal gear version.
l
I use 3 of these in a Hurricane 550 helicopter to replace $ 40,- servo's that did not hold their position resulting in an untrimmable helicopter. These servo's are fast and accurate (although a little power hungry). I will use them in my next helicopter as well, may even try one on a tail.... I also tried it in a 1:10 scale touringcar as a steering servo. I performs well and seems unbreakable. I am using a servo saver in the car of course.

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 01-16-2008 10:34 PM

Terry, ask helifreak about servos. If I can find Gary, the superskids, guy I'll ask him. He was big on the Aces for a while, but I haven't seen him around for a while. I have a bunch of the secret servos, but since one failed on the first SU attempt, I have misgivings.

Randy. I hope to get the SU in the air saturday. The kids are still in school when I get home, and I don't want to do anything that makes ability to use the field questionable. Did you remove material from the plane to use the 7x5 prop? And I'm still at a loss on how to mount the prop. Your pic showed an apc prop I think, so maybe I should buy one and figure it out from there. I have a bl motor and a t-bird esc for it sitting here.

Back to the bug.

Tim

Loubud 01-16-2008 11:19 PM

Terry,
Kate's copy/paste from JR's sight is what I saw also. I think maybe a little more investigating is called for. I think there is a bit of confusion with the proper servo but would accept the manufactures word when talking about servo failure in your heli.

One thing that bugged me was the call for a servo that is only recommended for 4.8 Volts. That bugged me as 6 Volts is like I posted earlier, faster and stronger torque.

Another thing was that JR said vibration was the main culprit to the servo failure. I know a lot of guys do not balance the rotor blades since the heli will normally still fly. Thing about that is, the heli is all over the place, still flyable and shakes itself to death.

That and JR not saying anything about the balancing of the rotors leads me to believe that the servos would work. I can't imagine you not making this heli perfect before lighting it up.

On the other hand, JR says this is the upper end of the servos usage. So with all of this in mind, I just dunno. There are always nay sayers no matter how good something is. And there is always sour grapes.

I don't know who Helifreak is or anything about his knowledge or grudges. Some folks don't like certain brands, some don't like this or that.

The UH servos are still rather new. I suspect they are good but Kate is still testing his out with good results so far. That said, they're still the new servos on the block. Might want to consider a digital servo for the rotor and regular standards for the other 3 till more is known about the UH digitals.

So...I'm at a loss here.
I'll hold the JR's till you decide what you want to do.

Pappy,
Nope

Loubud 01-16-2008 11:22 PM

Terry,
Kate's copy/paste from JR's sight is what I saw also. I think maybe a little more investigating is called for. I think there is a bit of confusion with the proper servo but would accept the manufactures word when talking about servo failure in your heli.

One thing that bugged me was the call for a servo that is only recommended for 4.8 Volts. That bugged me as 6 Volts is like I posted earlier, faster and stronger torque.

Another thing was that JR said vibration was the main culprit to the servo failure. I know a lot of guys do not balance the rotor blades since the heli will normally still fly. Thing about that is, the heli is all over the place, still flyable and shakes itself to death.

That and JR not saying anything about the balancing of the rotors leads me to believe that the servos would work. I can't imagine you not making this heli perfect before lighting it up.

On the other hand, JR says this is the upper end of the servos usage. So with all of this in mind, I just dunno. There are always nay sayers no matter how good something is. And there is always sour grapes.

I don't know who Helifreak is or anything about his knowledge or grudges. Some folks don't like certain brands, some don't like this or that.

The UH servos are still rather new. I suspect they are good but Kate is still testing his out with good results so far. That said, they're still the new servos on the block. Might want to consider a digital servo for the rotor and regular standards for the other 3 till more is known about the UH digitals.

So...I'm at a loss here.
I'll hold the JR's till you decide what you want to do.

Pappy,
Nope

ktaylor 01-16-2008 11:43 PM

Gee Lou, felt so strongly about that post that you had to put it up there twice? :D;)

Hey, I just found something I bought when Mark & I made that trip to get Ice & look for whiffle ball bats at Brad's Walmart. I saw that they had Gorilla Glue & the noticed they had this little "Gorilla Glue Pen" as they call it. Had to buy one & see how it worked. Instead of that yellow tan foam, this dries up white & doesn't need Elmer's glue to accelerate it. Just dampen one of the two surfaces, clamp it And it's fully cured in 1/2 hour. Much faster than the original stuff. I just redid the motor spacer block on the Spitfire, I guess I'll see if its strong enough when I go fly it. Already ran the motor up to 140 watts on the plane & the glue held. Me likey.

Stingray69 01-16-2008 11:57 PM

Lou, I don't understand. Could you say that again?

export! 01-17-2008 12:02 AM

Balsa Dudes....

My NSLHS has this iron;

http://www.monokote.com/accys/topr2100.html

Is this good enough?

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 01-17-2008 12:04 AM

Ok Lou, did I miss TEGE's lotto?

I have been working on the bug. Figuring out the instructions. I know instructions are hard to write, you have to know how to build it, then write instructions, there is a point in that progression where you start to make assumptions. After all you know how to do whatever, and everything is clear to you. We had to write instructions for plastic wall hangers a few years ago. It seems simple, but you have to assume you are writing for someone that is cluless, which makes it hard.

Tim

Airbourne in Japan 01-17-2008 01:43 AM

Ken, i posted your planes today, but they had to go seamail. 4 weeks to you

gunfighterII 01-17-2008 05:26 AM

Scott,
That will be fine. I started with that one and ended up giving it and my heat gun to Brent.

I'll refrain from the servo discussion as you all know what I would recommend.:D:D And it would be way over budget.:eek:

CaptainRandy 01-17-2008 06:59 AM

Lou,

Thanks, Nope explains it all:D

Tim,

If you already have a BL motor for it, then go for it. The motor should turn in a clockwise direction, when looking at the shaft. This is opposite to a fron mounted motor. Now look at the prop as you would normally mount it ( most times with the writting out, Now reverse the prop to have the writting in toward the motor.

Now if you look at the motor prop set up from the front of the plane, It would be spinning counter clockwise and the prop would be like a normal front mounted set up. Do you understand what I just explained?

You always want to spin the prop in the direction that it was built for. By reversing the prop, and having the motor turn in the opposite direction (clockwise) you have accomplished this.

Hope that helped you to understand. If you still are using the brushed motor, then make sure the motor turns clockwise when looking at the shaft, and put the prop on the way it came from the manufacturer.

five-string 01-17-2008 07:23 AM

Ferny, GTX (Superskid Gary) has been on the heli site I've been following for my Walkera...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28...28/key_/tm.htm