Reload this Page >

Tempest Modifications for Typhoon 2000

Notices

Tempest Modifications for Typhoon 2000

Old 06-08-2021, 01:00 PM
jkiefer06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tempest Modifications for Typhoon 2000

Does anyone have the modification instructions for Mike Hester's Tempest? I have a set of the Typhoon 2000 plans but need the modification sheets to build the Tempest. I've read the old build thread but couldn't find where the actual modifications were listed.

Thanks,
Jim Kiefer
Old 06-09-2021, 04:38 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Jim,
I had the Tempest plans, which were just changes to the the wing and stab; specifically, reduction of the wing tip and stab tip chord. Unfortunately, I can’t find my copy of the plans. The Black Magic evolved from the Tempest; so you might be able to use the platform for the wing and stab from the BM to create a Tempest.
regards,
Will
Old 06-10-2021, 05:07 AM
jkiefer06

Hi Will, Thanks for the scoop. I saved some of the images from the build threads especially the good fuse profile shots. I'm thinking I can use a laptop projector and project the images over the Typhoon plans and although it won't be 100% accurate, it will get me close to the reduced profiles you mentioned. I also found some old Desire plans and am considering scaling them up to a 2 meter plane. I've never flown a Desire but I always thought it was a very attractive design. I've also got a used Sequel that needs to be stripped and refinished. Do you have any tips on stripping epoxy paints from fiberglass?
Old 06-13-2021, 09:42 AM
flywilly

Hi Jim,
I’ve never stripped a painted fiberglass fuselage, but post that question in the Classic Pattern forum over on RCGroups and I bet you’ll get some good suggestions!
Just an FYI; Don Carlson ([email protected]) kits both the Typhoon 2+2 and the Black Magic VF3. Send him an email for a price list.
regards,
Will
Old 06-13-2021, 09:48 AM
flywilly

PS: the Desire flies very nicely. I built one years ago, but reduced the wing tip chord (to improve snap rolls) and reduced the area to about 820”sq. If scale up the plans to 2m size, you’ll be looking at a wing area of about 1200”sq which is a pretty big wing!
Old 06-14-2021, 06:56 AM
jkiefer06

Hi Will, I e-mailed Don. Thanks for the scoop!
Old 06-14-2021, 07:13 AM
jkiefer06

To be honest, I never looked that closely at the Desire wing. I just like the profile of the fuselage. After I acquired the Desire plans, I built an Escape and took away some of the fuselage taper on the bottom of the fuse by adding some depth all the way back to the empennage and more or less blending it to the bottom of the vertical fin and rudder. Essentially, I took some of the Desire design characteristics and added them to the bottom of my Escape. The plane seemed to point better and knife edge was improved with no compromises any where else so I am a believer in the Desire but the biggest thing is I just think it looks cool! The design also lends itself to electric because there should be plenty of room for a battery compartment.