Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

inverted tail scrape!

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

inverted tail scrape!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 08:16 PM
iatemydingo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inverted tail scrape!

how many of you fun flyers have scraped the tail on an inverted pass and lived to tell about it? i just did yesterday and have the rudder to prove it
Old 07-28-2003, 08:32 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Default Re: inverted tail scrape!

Originally posted by iatemydingo
how many of you fun flyers have scraped the tail on an inverted pass and lived to tell about it? i just did yesterday and have the rudder to prove it
Really ? Well, where is the picture ? Oh btw, it only counts if the plane didn't crash or landed inverted.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:40 PM
iatemydingo
My Feedback: (1)

nope, i flew away and landed just fine, im gonna try again today if i had a digi cam i'd post pics but i dont :-/
Old 07-28-2003, 10:53 PM
jnjacksn

Default Awsome!!!

This is the only way to fly! Yesterday I hit a little to hard and tore the rudder off my plane. Still flew it away! It's the best time I ever had breaking an airplane!

Here is another thread from a while back!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...556&forumid=21]
Old 07-28-2003, 11:18 PM
matlok

Here's a pic of jnjacksn's aforementioned plane. Looked really cool, but I still think he only did it to keep me from flying his plane anymore! (j/k - thanks for the stick time!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	97286_4669.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	55628  
Old 07-29-2003, 02:21 AM
bentgear

That looks like mine did a few weeks ago. Not lucky enuff to fly it off, but it didn't break the prop. Thinking of adding a tail wheel to the rudder but its a little light. May make a couple of standoffs coming off the rudder post and run some music wire attached to the fuse to a tail wheel about 1" above the rudder.

Drugg it a few times Sunday but splatted 3 more times. At least the rudder stayed on and the prop didn't break. Went back with oversize hinges cut out of Great Planes material.

jnjacksn were you flying at Merygold this weekend after the big birds flew. I should have taken the time to say hello but we had to drive to Indianola <sp> to get cleaned up and go eat. It was good to see Gary S and constrictor up there.

Ed M.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:50 AM
jnjacksn

Default Merigold flying

Bentgear,

Yes, I was in Merigold this weekend. I am the president of the club that hosted this little get together. I didn't get a chance to fly till sunday, cause all my big birds are still in the boxes they came in.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to say hey either, but it was great to see Gary hover under the tent! WOW, too many great pilots to tell the whole story! I'm working on next years already!
Old 07-29-2003, 11:33 AM
wagas

Default From the past weekend in AL Fly In

This guy scraped a little to hard. Missed the scrape but got the landing...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	97399_1439.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	55629  
Old 07-29-2003, 05:47 PM
funflyer06

I've never scraped but I've come pretty dang close. I got around 4 inches and pulled out of it because it scared the crap out me. But I loved it and I've been trying to get that close again!
Old 07-30-2003, 01:58 AM
funflyer06

Ok so I kinda did it tonight. I was flying my Somethin' Extra and got real low and liked so then thats what I was doing the rest of the night. And I hit the tail a little to hard and bang. The nylon engine mounts snapped and the area in front of the hatch is a little tore up. There's a little scrape on the tail and thats about it. Like jnjacksn it was the best time I ever had wrecking an airplane. It was only my second wreck out of my 4 years of flying.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:03 PM
JIVE TURKEY

I have, with a spad trainer (flat bottom wing/dihedral). This is the plane I really learned to fly inverted with. I kept getting lower & lower, till the ruder drug along the grass, I pushed the little right stick forward and flew out. It is something I'll never forget!

Next time I tried it, the rudder grabbed, and did an inverted plow- type landing. the only thing damaged was prop.

I was also flying the same plane around inverted, ran out of gas, and plopped it down nice and easy upside down in the tall grass (no dammage; spads definitley have there place in this great hobby of ours!)
Old 07-30-2003, 09:13 PM
jnjacksn

Default 33% Inverted tail scrape...

I am currently building a 33% Aeroworks Extra 330 ARF w/ DA100. Hope to post pictures of the inverted tail touching soon after its maiden flight!
Old 07-31-2003, 01:33 AM
matlok

Old 07-31-2003, 01:47 AM
rwh

The trouble with inverted tail touches is that once you touch the tail you won't be able to move the tail down with the elevator in order to regain some altitude.

To fly away it helps if you have a runway that tilts down and a bit of power to pull the nose up.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:20 AM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

Default fly away

your right about not being able to push the tail down to pull out.
the only other way to do it is to pull out on power.
once the tail has touched it's all prop pulling you out. or it's all ground pulling you in.
your plane has to scrape on a positive angle of attack.

pretty cool club to be in..
Old 08-23-2003, 10:02 PM
kennyandannie

If you do your fly-by in the harrier position, low and slow, the pull out is easy as adding a little throttle, don't let your nerves force you to make any sudden moves.
This move is sweet as heck!!!

kenny
Old 08-23-2003, 11:47 PM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

I have a 4 star .60 i mounted the engine sideways on just for this trick. I have had successful inverted rudder ground scrapes probably close to a hundred times. But ive probably landed upside down 500 times. It is hard to get the angle just right because once the rudder is on the ground you cannot rotate. My 4 star would just land inverted as sweet as you please. In all the times i landed that way i only broke 3-4 props. Now that im into profile planes its easy to do with an inverted harrier rudder touch
Old 08-24-2003, 12:03 AM
kennyandannie

Constrictor,
I have a 4 star 40 that I am putting an OS 50 in, just to be able to play around like this.
The plane that I usually do this kind of flying with is a Top Cap with another OS 50 and a Macs Header.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:07 AM
kennyandannie

Constrictor,
Speaking of the " rudder on the ground and not being able to rotate" is one of the reasons I like to do this maneuver in the harrier position, your nose is already pointed up, just squeeze the throttle and up she goes, ever so gently!
Old 08-26-2003, 02:51 AM
Surfer Dude

I don't mean to sound like this I'm trying to out do you guys but there is a friend of mine named Elmer Helfert who lives in Chicago, and he put a 20 FOOT groove in the runway with a Giant Stinger going at full throttle. It was really neat to hear about it and then to see it was something even wilder! According to what I've herd from some of his other friends who have known him longer than I have, claim that he used to walk pattern ships across the field back twenty years ago.
Chris
Old 08-26-2003, 03:21 AM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

Old 08-26-2003, 10:01 AM
kennyandannie

Top Cap bit the dust yesterday!! I was flying at a new field with a lot of tall trees. The air does some funny things at ground level with the wind blowing over the trees at 15 to 20 mph!

Low and slow, whoops too slow, broke fuse in half, time to fly something else. Maybe I'll put my Sig Wonder with the 25 fx up tomorrow.

See ya