Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Can someone suggest a GOOD ARF Profile.

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Can someone suggest a GOOD ARF Profile.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 11:18 AM
RCBOZO
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone suggest a GOOD ARF Profile.

I have just started to fly RC this year and I my latest plane is the H9 Super Stick 60. Several club members think that I have enough "talent" to jump into a 80" Profile. I am very comfortable with the Stick even though I have only flew a gallon of gas through it so far. That Satio 100 is the Cats A** for that plane!

Anyway budget is tight and I have not built anything before so it needs to be a inexpensive ARF, well built, with great flying characteristics!

The club President Jeff Heitman said that he would love to teach me 3-D ,and he is the best local pilot I have ever seen! The only thing is all of his planes spend more time getting repaired than they do waiting to be flown
Old 07-29-2003, 12:09 PM
akahoverit
My Feedback: (2)

If you want a .40 size most of the guys here will suggest the morris knife ARF, I have one with a JR system minus the reciever for sale for 200, only has like 3 flights on it and no hanger rash. You can see it at www.morrishobbies.com
Old 07-29-2003, 12:27 PM
RCBOZO

Thanks for the offer but It was suggested that I would be better off learning on a larger 80" or so profile. Do you have any thoughts on that?
Old 07-29-2003, 12:36 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

The only one that comes to mind is the Aeroworks profile. I think Ohio Model Products will also have a kit soon, and their 40 size is good.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:11 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Originally posted by RCBOZO
Thanks for the offer but It was suggested that I would be better off learning on a larger 80" or so profile. Do you have any thoughts on that?
who told you that ?
Go with the Knife, you can't go wrong. It is also much easier to haul around and set up. I would not recommend the Aeroworks ARF for a first profile and how to learn 3D on. Not that it won't do it easy, but have in mind that a first profile will get dorked a lot if trying to do low stuff and learn the right way. If $$ is no issue, and your rebuilding skills are up to par, then go with the big one, if not start in the 40 size class.
Just my $0.02
Old 07-29-2003, 04:47 PM
akahoverit

I'm with Ulf, you said you were $ concious, if your not then get in line to get the extreme flight RC fun fly edge 540 ARF, www.extremeflightrc.com
Old 07-29-2003, 06:42 PM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Im with Ulf. Unlike a stick type plane, the profile planes will get away from you FAST. From what I have been reading, I wouldnt buy the Aeroworks regardless. I agree with the Knife. The CG Extreme 330 would be a good second choice............................................ ..John
Old 07-29-2003, 07:08 PM
RCBOZO

I was told that something smaller like the Knife or CG Extreme would be too short coupled and harder to learn with? I have looked at the specifications for the CG Extreme and it only has 3/8" throws recommended all the way around! The Super Stick 60 I have has more than that. I will need more throw than that to do 3-D right?
Old 07-29-2003, 07:48 PM
Texas 3D

yep, that is what they recommend but not what you will use. You will use most likely on high rates set to all you can get on throws and then adjust your low rates accordingly. Don't go by the 3/8" they recommend. Just forget it.
The big ones might be a little easier to hover, but that of course only counts when you already know how to hover. If you are learning you might have a mishap here or there, and don't want to replace the big plane or expensive equipment while learning. Have in mind that we are talking high torque servos, bigger engine, more expensive ARF. This adds up to a couple of hundred bucks very quick.
The Morris Knife is a plane easy to learn 3D on, and will do it all. Pretty much does a little bit of everything and is a very forgiving plane at the same time (if there is such thing as forgiving in this hobby LOL). A lot of the Pro Bro's have learned on that particular plane and almost everybody loved it.
Get yourself a nice strong 46 motor and the Knife, and have fun. You won't regret it.
Just my $0.02 . Nuff said.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:57 PM
f2racer

Originally posted by RCBOZO
You mentioned that you're on a tight budget... An 80" profile will need either an OS 160FX, Saito 180 or 26cc gas. Have you budgetted accordingly? Plus you'll need to run high torque servos on all the control surfaces (save the throttle), which will also cost some $$$.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:43 PM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Listen to Ulf on this one...Trust me..............I LOVE MY KNIFE !!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 09:33 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

My Knife is easier to hover than my U-Can-Do.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:47 PM
ryansdad40

Default they are all right

yup listen to these guys,, i did and now have 3 morris 40 size,, wouldnt want a 80" profile now!!
Old 07-30-2003, 03:47 AM
akahoverit

The bigger they are the bigger they hurt your wallet when you crash!
Old 07-30-2003, 03:59 AM
777M8

Originally posted by akahoverit
The bigger they are the bigger they hurt your wallet when you crash!
You can bet on that. But the BIG ones do make alot more noise when they go in

Bill
Old 07-30-2003, 01:31 PM
Texas 3D

You can bet on that. But the BIG ones do make alot more noise when they go in
yeah

CRASH !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	97705_3591.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	55678  
Old 07-30-2003, 01:42 PM
RCBOZO

Hey Ulf what was that thing? I hope that wasn't yours! If I am able to get a profile would the Morris Knife the "BEST" or are we talking Chevy and Ford again? A couple of guys at my club have Ohio Model Profiles. One is the Big Edge 540 and the other one is the 40 size profile.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:48 PM
Hacker

ulf...gear looks ok
Old 07-30-2003, 02:45 PM
Texas 3D

That was a Aeroworks 80" Profile ARF. Just the size you want.
It only lasted about 10 seconds in flight when flutter ripped the whole stab out. Engine was a Moki 2.10. Here is more info on this maiden flight : http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...roworks+maiden

Hacker, the gear was intact and sold to the guy that bought the new ARF Aeroworks send me as an replacement. It was a tetherite gear btw. This and the engine and a couple of servos (toasted 2 $100 JR 2721 servos on this baby) where about the only things intact.

OK like mentioned before, the Knife is a very nice plane to learn on how to 3d. The OMP and Sledge are also very nice planes, and I am sure there are tons more of them out there. THE OMP doesn't come as an ARF form.
Start out with a Knife, I am sure you will like it. It is an all around good 3D plane, and makes learning how to hover easier (I am sure you want to learn how to touch that tail on the ground )You can always build a OMP or Morris kit while you are learning flying the Knife, and then when finished with the kit, you have an idea on how to throw those little profiles around..
Old 07-30-2003, 02:49 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I've got to second everyone's advice here.... Go with a Morris the Knife Arf for your first 3d trainer... The big ones may fly better, but only when you become a discerning profile connoisseur!!

Wait till you can really hammer the sticks before you go to big... Otherewise you'll be spending lots of cash... and lots of time doing repairs... The big ones are always more involved to repair....
Old 07-30-2003, 04:16 PM
dgfick

I thought that I saw somewhere that Morris was putting out a Sledge ARF. Anyone know if thats true? I hate building.
Would the Sledge be better than the Knife? Also what weight are these (sledge, knife, topcap) planes coming out to be with standards and a 720 nimh pack?
Just bought a Magnum 52 (2 stroke)and am looking for something to put it on. My friend had a magnum 52 on a V50 and it does ok....He doesn't know what his V50 weighs though.

Thanks
Dave
Old 07-30-2003, 04:44 PM
PaulSwany

They are working on a sledge arf... but I don't believe it's out yet....
Old 07-30-2003, 05:00 PM
RCBOZO

Hey Paul hows that Saito 72 running? Have you gotten the hang of it yet or do you still prefer two strokes? I have only been flying since this season, and I have a couple of MDS 40's and a Saito 100 thats on my Super Stick 60. I don't have alot of experience with two strokes but this Saito is very easy to start, LOTS of POWER! Would you recommend someone using a four stroke or a two stroke on a profile like the Knife? I read alot of people use the Saito 72 on their Knife's.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:03 PM
PaulSwany

I sold my Saito 72 long ago... The engine ran great... I have nothing bad to say about it... I just prefer 2 strokes...

I think an Irvine .53 or OS .46 or os .50 would be perfect for the Knife... If you're on a budget, the TT .46 is hard to beat..
Old 07-30-2003, 05:15 PM
RCBOZO

$149 Knife
$109 OS 46 FX
$ 50 Hitec Servos
----------------------------
$ 308 Plus TAX

I think this might be the next project!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.