Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

wobly wings on sig ultimate FF. Help

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

wobly wings on sig ultimate FF. Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 12:40 AM
Sarsipius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wobly wings on sig ultimate FF. Help

I've put 6 flights on my sig ultimate fun fly and noticed that the wings seem to be getting a little bit "wobly". They are still firmly attached but just seem to have more movement left to right than I am comfortable with. Anyone else here had that problem? How did you fix it?
Old 07-30-2003, 01:00 AM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Mine are pretty tight. I did see a guy that added a steel cable, like a pull pull cable between the bottom strut on each side of the bottom wing and the middle strut at the top of the fuse and that made a big difference..................... john
Old 07-30-2003, 04:11 PM
Sarsipius

Default thanks

I would think that would create a lot of drag tho
Old 07-30-2003, 04:21 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Did you reinforce the hole that the bolt goes through? There is a small piece of ply that should be there. If you missed it during construction, I think it's a small piece if 1/16 ply.

Secondly, has the brass threaded insert come lose inside of the fuselage? Re glue that puppy with some thick glue. Either thick CA (not my choice) or epoxy (my choice).

Lastly, is the hole that the dowel goes into too lose? Add a filler of some sort. Maybe even a very small piece of aluminum tubing in there to hold the dowel still. Maybe some masking tape aroud the dowel if the play is very slight.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:24 PM
Sarsipius

I think the dowel might be the ticket. Everything else seems fine. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:27 PM
Jeremiah 23

After 7 years of yanking the crap out of mine, I put her to rest this past week.

That plane is the the hottest "Turn and Burn", "Bank and Crank" airplane I have ever flown.

Not much for 3D hovering type stuff, but boy, when I put her through the show I had developed...Everyone stopped to look...

Dang I'm going to miss that plane....I had lots of people tell me the wings should have folded long ago...My whole flight was kept in a 75 yard box and it ripped from takeoff to landing.

Oh yea, back to the loose wing thing. After a couple of years the wings did get a little loose but it didn't seem to hurt the way she flew.....I did put some foam weather stripping in the wing saddle and that tightened things up good as new.

I really loved that plane and may just put all the 3d crap on hold and build another....I got allot more Wow out of flying her fast and tight than I have ever gotten out of hovering low and slow!

Hope this helps, your going to love that plane but watch it....she is a little squirrelly!
Old 07-30-2003, 04:32 PM
Sarsipius

I like the weather stripping idea. I'll try that. What did you have your elevator throws set at for low and high rates? I'm just curious. I have been playing around with the high rate elevator throw and still have a bit too much, It tends to snap with full elev. on high rates. I'm using way more than the book calls for. On low rates I have about what the book calls for on high rates and I like that.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:33 PM
TailTwister

I agree, there's no better yank and bank plane out there. Each flight, try your best to rip the wings off of the darn thing and you will love it.

Foam in the wing saddle is a good suggestion.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:38 PM
TailTwister

When I set up rates after the test flights, I set the low for all it can do without a sanp. Then I set high to all it can do, PERIOD. I had my CG about 1/2 of an inch behind the location on the plans.

This plane will turn much tighter with a flapperon mix too. After you get all of the throw you can get without snapping the elevators, add about 1/2 that amount as flapperons and it will turn tighter.

Wait till you do a high rate (all you can get) blender at full power. It is truly a blurr.

I have had two of these, and they are fun.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:49 PM
Jeremiah 23

As far as the throws, I just started with the book and cranked it up little by little until it started snapping out at full pull and full throttle....I could fly on the Verge of stall and do all kinds of neat tricks with it.

I never dialed down the throw on full down elevator and while inverted if you pushed full down it would snap out....

Thats what finally killed the love of my life! I was doing crazy low fast inverted passes and rolling circles really low (3 feet at most) when I ran out of gas.....It dosent' glide at all! so I pushed full down instead of rolling out and she popped up to about 10 feet like right then....and did a snap stall to her death!

I have tears in my eyes.....I have to go lay down....sorry!
Old 07-30-2003, 08:41 PM
cloudniner
My Feedback: (87)

Default Engine Choice

Sorry about you Ultimate Robodog8.

I am just finishing mine and would like to know what engine and prop you guys use.

Thanks.........

RSN
Old 07-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Sarsipius

I'm using an OS 50sx with an APC 12.25x3.75 prop. It will hover at just below half throttle and at full power it will climb straight up from the ground so fast that you lose sight in just a few seconds. Even with full aileron deflection it climbs staight up like a bat out of hell.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:46 PM
TailTwister

My first one was A Rossi 53 with a 12.25x3.75. My second one was a Saito 72 with a 14x4W.

I liked them both.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:25 PM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

46 FX 12-4 APC
Old 07-31-2003, 07:31 PM
cloudniner
My Feedback: (87)

Default Sig Ultimate Engine Choice

Thanks for the info on the engines and props. I will be using my YS53 so I would think it is in the ball park. You are all using low pitch props, I will try to figure out what diam. to use with a 4 pitch.

Thanks a bunch.

RSN
Old 07-31-2003, 08:49 PM
Jeremiah 23

46 fx / 11.5/4 or 11/4

unlimited verticle, but that was not really the show stopper....flying low and making extreemly tight turns in all directions while rolling and cranking.....I just can't tell you how many times I had people walk from the other end of the flight line to check out my setup.....

Don't baby it.....fly it like you stole it!!!!