Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Looking for Morris Spinsation plans

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Looking for Morris Spinsation plans

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 12:40 AM
tileflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Morris Spinsation plans

I would like to find a set of plans for this plane and also like to hear from those who have flown one.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:49 AM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Default Spinsation

I had one, my friend has it now, I still have the plans. It's the kind of plane that puts a big smile on your face when and after flying it, and makes strangers at the field come up and ask you: "How'd you do this and how'd you do that?". Some times you may outright laugh while flying, or shake your head in disbelief. It is a tough plane to hover, but it will do so much more, that no other plane will do. I had much fun with it for many months, and then moved on to other, and now to gas pllanes. As I said, I have plans and instructions, what's a fair price? If you will remember my name and be ready to send my a copy of the plans if I ask for one in the future, heck I'll just go ahead and send them to you. I know this would make me look good in the eyes of the Profile God, and that's good for me he he.
DKjens
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100293_3898.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	57019  
Old 08-09-2003, 12:53 AM
tileflyer

That sounds like a deal to me,a friend of mine has a print shop.I would have no problems making myself a copy and sending them back to you.Thanks for the offer!I will send you my addy and name via PM.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Bob Talley

I have had and flown two of the Spinsations - plus several re-incarnations (re-re-re- repaired versions) of them. Undoubtedly, the wildest machine I have ever flown in my 50 years of R/C flying. I used about 70 degrees of control surface throw (in each direction) on all control surfaces in high rates and found it to be spectacular. This is the first model that I have ever flown that could do square vertical figure eights - not very pretty ones, but recognizable. I used a stock MVVS 40 on mine with 5% nitro fuel (which is the max % nitro you can you can use in a stock MVVS 40) and an APC 12.25" x 3.75" prop.

Unfortunately, the plans alone won't do you much good, as the wing is a triple taper and every rib is slightly different from the adjacent ones. If you have a set of Su-Do-Khoi rib patterns I have heard that they are same, but don't know that for sure

- NOT a beginners model for sure.

Bob T.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:51 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Bob,
So you agree with my description of this plane then, he he? I had huge throws on mine as well, and lots and lots of expo. If I build an enlarged version of this plane, II was thinking of using the Diablotin airfoil, a double reflex symmetrical airfoil. My DiablotinXL wing performs spectacularly and I will use that airfoil for planes in the future. Jerry's Big Boy/Spoiler is much the same, but s-symmetrical.
I am just looking at the plans, and they show rib #1(root) and rib #4, where #6 is the tip, so ribs could easily be generated by a copy machine by enlarging or shrinking.
DKjens
Old 08-09-2003, 06:03 PM
tileflyer

Bob,

Interesting that we both have the same last name!! Alot of my Grandfather's family is from Little Rock. Thanks for the help you guys ,I think this will be a fun plane to build and fly.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:06 PM
robb_h
My Feedback: (1)

I've been flying my Spinsation for a couple of weeks, and it's a real conversation piece. The Spinsation video from Morris is well worth the money, and shows what it's capable of.

Word of advice: start with the throws relatively mild. I flew mine the first time at the "novice" throws shown on the plans, and it was somewhat of a handful. My high rates are now slightly past the novice throws, and I actually find myself flying it the whole flight on high rates. I'm gradually going to start increasing the throw each time out.

I can easily get 3 complete pinwheels; however, I can't quite get the falling leaf yet. The falling leaf should be possible once I increase the throws some more. It's a little skittish on the ground and acts like it wants to ground loop (ie. it's short coupled and the gear is high). Best advice is to get it off the ground as quick as possible, and throttle back once it's climbing. The instructions say it can develop "fatal flutter" at full throttle, so throttle management is required. I'm using an O.S. .46 FX, and have had no signs of flutter. It lands at a very high angle of attack (like a delta), and slows down real quick. I don't want to find out what a deadstick is like.

Only modification I made was to use 1/4-20 nylon bolts to attach the landing gear, as opposed to the steels screws included in the kit. I'd rather replace the nylon bolts, instead of the front fuselage.

I agree: Definitely not a beginner's plane! I've asked a few competent fliers to take the controls, and they refuse. The plane just ain't right.

Robb
Old 08-10-2003, 12:24 AM
Spike373
My Feedback: (1)

I have had one for about 5 years. Had the Morris powerhouse .45 on it. What a junk engine. When running it was awesome. I had a lot of dead sticks. It is not hard to fly at all, in my opinion. It does some crazy stuff! It likes to tail wag when you get on the throttle, lookf cool though. It tends to nose over if you chop the throttle and bring it in hot. Just slow it way down and have almost no roll out. That seems to work best. I really like it. I may have to dust it off and stick the .46 fx on it. That Rossi (morris) went doen the road. ----Mike