Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Have you flown a CG Extreme 330?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Have you flown a CG Extreme 330?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 03:00 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you flown a CG Extreme 330?

I'd like to know your impressions.
I just ordered one because of this.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...&referrerid=60

Inverted and Upright High Alpha?
Coupling?
Mixing?
Problems with the kit?

I am gonna use my Saito .722
Old 08-13-2003, 03:05 AM
theKAT
My Feedback: (1)

Maybe we'll hear from Tavis on this one...
Old 08-13-2003, 12:29 PM
akahoverit
My Feedback: (2)

Compared to the OMP it flies a pair of pliers.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Alfster

I think you will like it Wayne, just know ahead of time that it is a bit heavy....Mine is right at 5 lbs. And even though it is a porker, I am flying it on a new OS 46FX with stock muffler, baffles in, 12.25x3.75 APC prop, and it will still hover all day long. Not as much power to pull out as I would like, but adequate. The 72 should do fine. I am still moving the balance around on mine to get it where I want it, but right now I have it approximately 5.25

It is a bit twitchy there with my setup, but I like it that way. Throws are pretty wild, but I have lots of expo programmed in so I usually just leave everything on high rate and fly it from liftoff to touchdown. Only have a few flights on it, but I have had it in a flatspin, upright, seemed decently tight, but nothing special. Mine does have some coupling, pulls to the belly a tad in knife-edge, but that could be something I built in it, am still working on getting everything setup the way I like it. Rudder is KILLER...first time I tried to do a knife-edge fly-by, my thumb got a bit heavy on the rudder, and I was 3/4 through a knife-edge loop before you could blink !

Landing gear is total junk.....don't even taxi the plane with it. It will topple over on one wingtip even at taxi speed with the stock gear. Plus, every landing is a nightmare on paved surfaces. New gear transformed my plane into a nice little bird.

Understand these are simply my "opinions", and nothing more. I have never flown an OMP, or a Sledge, so I cannot compare the 330 to those planes, but I am sure that both will fly better. But for what the 330 is, I think it is a nice little plane, it looks good, being an ARF means it gets in the air quickly, and aside from the crappy landing gear, I am very happy that I bought it.

I still want an OMP, and a Sledge though.....

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give you some info.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:24 PM
wgeffon

Thanks Alfster.

I have some CF gear I will use on it.
My Sledge was a little over 5 pounds and it was awesome with the .72
Old 08-13-2003, 04:34 PM
Alfster

No problem bro, just trying to give you a bit of info. I think you will like it. Of course, if it "flies like a pair of pliers", then maybe I'm just not used to flying good planes... hehe

If the weather is good tomorrow morning, I will take it down and let BillyHell give it a whirl. Then you can have a couple of opinions from TN.

I saw his OMP fly this morning, and it looked SAHWEET !!
Old 08-13-2003, 04:36 PM
wgeffon

You going to the Pro-Bro on Sept 6th?
Old 08-13-2003, 04:38 PM
Alfster

Wouldn't miss it for the world !!! Peeler Park is my home field. Looking forward to meeting all you guys then.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:49 PM
jon595
My Feedback: (2)

I have been flying one for about 6 months. The key to the plane is to get all the unnecessary weight out of it. The last 2 have been in this configuration:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...ht=330+extreme

Moved the tank back up to the stock location. Flies great. Has 8% rudder to elevator mix on right and 6% on left (might have it backwards, I'm at work). CG is set so that it flies inverted hands off with a full tank.

Good Luck!!
Old 08-14-2003, 03:38 AM
bentgear

Wayne, I think you will like it. Mount the 72 as far back as you can.
The cg in the manual is very conervative. Rates in manual are too low even for low rates. 3D rates should be 45 deg. + on all surfaces. If you mix in ailerons and elevators use 100 % but put it on a switch as it kills flat spins. Don't use the wiring tube for the elevator and rudder leads, just put some white ultracote or clear tape over them. You might want to set the neutral point on the ailerons up so they follow the bottom contour of the wing.

Let us know how it does.

Ed M.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:11 AM
BotleRocketWar

You might want to set the neutral point on the ailerons up so they follow the bottom contour of the wing.
Why would you do that??
Old 08-14-2003, 06:23 AM
Alfster

Because if you don't, it flys around with it's nose in the air like you have a bit of flaps dialed in........at least mine did. I'm no aircraft designer or anything, but I suspect just a tad bit of incidence error built into the design, or something. Maybe one of these Aeronautical Engineering types will give us an explanation why it has to have some reflex in it to fly level ??
Old 08-14-2003, 11:39 AM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

Alfster

If you want to squeeze a few hundred more rpms out of that .46 drill out the muffler outlet. Work your way up to 3/8". Take the muffler apart if you do it because the drill bit will cut the bolt that holds the muffler together.

My .46FX with drilled muffler on 10% using an APC 12x4 turns in the low 13's

Works good on profiles but if the tank is behind a firewall the reduced back pressure gives fuel draw problems.

Or buy a Tower Muffler and try a 12x4 APC.

Back to Goldberg 330

Can anyone get a harrier or elevator out of it? Mine doesn't seem to like low alpha harriers, I have to keep the nose up really high or a wing will drop. Tried the spoileronsand flaperons, no luck.

Otherwise a really nice 3D profile.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:07 PM
Alfster

geoharry,

Yes, eventually, I will get a better pipe for the engine. I just wanted to fly this "bone-stock" for a bit for testing purposes. I will try a Tower, or UT, or similar pipe, but wanted to try it this way for a while, to see how much difference the other pipe makes in the actual "feel" of the flying, not just the RPM numbers.