Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Touchin the tail

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 02:02 AM
matlok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Touchin the tail

So what are they going to do, put is in "AMA jail"?!? There's really no such thing as "illegal" with the AMA, just something that would put you in breach if something happened that required the insurance that you may or may not actually have anyway (read the full policy )

So touch away.........
Old 10-30-2003, 06:17 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

ORIGINAL: Constrictor

Gordo, I'm pretty sure AMA doesn't cover the flyer him self or his property anyways. so your not covered either way. AMA is for the other guy and his car that you hurt
If there is a violation of the "safety code", insurance is out the window. doesn't matter who wants to file, pilot or other, won't be anything there.

Matlock, there is only partial truth to what you say. Though AMA can't arrest you, every club I've ever flown at uses the AMA safety code as the starting point for the "rules" and proceeds to screw things up from there. Said clubs can quickly exercise the option to send you packin' if you violate said "rules" if they have a mind to.

Call it a "code", call it a "rule", call it one of the Ten Commandments. Someone will try to enforce it, and where will you turn? Point is, (to me anyway) it's just another rule we will ignore. That will lead to important stuff being ignored too, as is always the case. Therefore a less safe hobby, and more guys getting yelled at at there club. Anyone besides me see the "NO 3D" crowd at the local field salivating over this one?LOL

Last thing, I promise: I don't see this reflected on AMA site. Any chance we're not getting this right?
Old 10-30-2003, 06:39 AM
Tattoo

Since getting into 3D...the first thing I realized is that the need to drive across town to the AMA field was gone. Suddenly the ball diamond down the street and the fairway across the street have become flying fields. I'll just leave it at that, but, the idea of using that $58 each year on airplane stuff, as opposed to paying for someone to tell me what I can and can't do...is becoming very appealing. The AMA sure has taters...it's like Allstate telling you how to drive your car. Geeze.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:52 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Gordo.

Its there in the 2004 safety code under Radio Control.

http://modelaircraft.org/templates/a...-files/105.pdf
Old 10-30-2003, 08:25 AM
777M8

My only concern is this...If all 3d where to go outlaw we would have a hard time having our Pro Bro events. I guess I am lucky to be able to fly at a field where this stuff is not a problem...B Bill
Old 10-30-2003, 09:59 AM
ballistic1
My Feedback: (27)

I feel somewhat perterbed over the AMA (no tail touch) ruling
IMHO a fun fly or even a giant scale aircraft doing such a manuver on the active
runway is safer than a combat , warbird or any plane of any size traveling at high speed
Now if you were sitting in the pitts and someone is doing tailtouches on the runway
screws up and burns in how far will the remains go?
now on the otherhand some on doing a high speed low pass has somekind of problem
and burns in LOOK OUT !
I am saying this because I have been in this situation and have seen parts and entire planes go
threw a chain link pit fence and in this situation its allways been someone flying at high speed -not the 3d stuff
If the AMA is so concerned about safey where is there logic on this
the rule should state its ok to do as long as no one else is using the active runway- have to show respect for others
just my opinion
Old 10-30-2003, 11:32 AM
T_Hill

wgeffon,

It's in the 2004 safety code. The question is how did it get there. There has been no vote on it, at least no vote in the minutes of the EC meetings. The next EC meeting is Sat Nov 1st. I wounder if there is going to be a vote this weed end. I've emailed the question to several AMA reps and don't have an answer yet.

Tracy Hill
Old 10-30-2003, 01:10 PM
fadmuker

AEROBATICS ARE AEROBATICS,
I AM ALL FOR FLYING SAFETY, NO EXCEPTIONS
BUT THESE MUPPITS THAT TAKE OFF FLY IN CIRCLES THEN LAND,THEN CRITISIZE ANYONE PUSHING THE ENVELOPE,
WILL NOT HERE ME SAYING
"WE DONT LIKE THAT TYPE OF FLYING HERE"

STUPID FLYING SHOULD BE STOPPED!
BUT NOT ALL FLYING IS STUPID!
JUST BECAUSE YOU CANT FLY LIKE THAT

I CAN JUST IMAGINE THE WRIGHT BROTHERS ABOUT TO TAKE OFF,AND SOME CRETTIN CHURPS UP, WE DONT LIKE HISTORIC FLIGHTS ROUND HERE!!!
HO WELL,SAID WILLBER! WE WILL JUST KNOCK THE WINGS OFF AND CALL IT A CAR THEN!!

DONT THEY KNOW
ITS FUN TO FLY FUNFLY
Old 10-30-2003, 03:47 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Man.... What some people will do to eliminate the jealousy factor when they go out to fly.... Sometimes I think they stay up at night dreaming up new stuff to pi$$ off the folks that go against their grain...

I'm starting to think like Tattoo here..... Easier to just fly at the local ball field... Some of this stuff just doesn't make sense...
Old 10-30-2003, 04:06 PM
Mike_Mc

Personally I'm not interested in 3D and think the name is kinda funny (not try to start anything agian) but I've always been for the underdog and outcast. I feel for you guys. Good luck on figuring it out. BTW, from what I've seen you guys don't need a club field to fly at. Go outlaws.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:19 PM
tailspnr
My Feedback: (1)

Well all I can say is that I hope the non-3D guys in my club dont read this thread and dont find the new ruling. Thats truly a bunch of crap.

Shoot, Ive seen Jeff Williams screw-up a tailtouch with his Sledge so hard in Nashville that he broke the rudder. The end result was a nasty harrier landing.................and only 2 people were killed in the incident....whats the big deal[:@]

J/K on the previous comment for anybody that takes things too seriously...about the deaths that is....but Jeff really did squash his rudder.....

Tony....you guys go ahead and wear the Quique Kimball masks cuz I'll be wearing my new "Ulf" mask that just came in with my 3D chip today.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:26 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

my field is coming more acceptable to 3d. But 75% of the time, I fly by myself or less than 3 guys at the field when I fly. So really its not a big problem for me. Because I am hardley there on high traffic days.

Its nice having the flying field w/ a like minded buddy then you take off & land and do anything you want.

So went I am out at the field w/ a bunch of people, I normally hang out and chat w/ everybody since I don't see them that often.

But here at work, I sneek out and fly at the local cropdusters runway. Less than 2 mins. from where I work. Then I have the entire place by my self.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:47 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

ORIGINAL: Tattoo

Since getting into 3D...the first thing I realized is that the need to drive across town to the AMA field was gone. Suddenly the ball diamond down the street and the fairway across the street have become flying fields. I'll just leave it at that, but, the idea of using that $58 each year on airplane stuff, as opposed to paying for someone to tell me what I can and can't do...is becoming very appealing. The AMA sure has taters...it's like Allstate telling you how to drive your car. Geeze.

HAHA, I hear you Tattoo. That $58 will go a long way for you man, what 5 SPA3Ds? That would supply all my props for the next 2 ProBro events. And gator could probably cover a whole Sledge. And Chuck could buy a small batch of ribs. And we could all have a beer on the AMA!!!!!
Old 10-30-2003, 09:22 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

The following is my letter to Sany Frank, my Didt VP. I don't expect much but I'll let you know.

Dear Mr. Frank,

I just found out about the change to the AMA safety code regarding rule 9: "nor should any part of the model other than the landing gear, intentionally touch the ground, except while landing"

Could you address this change as to why it was done, who authorized it, and what the ramifications of violations would be? If safety concerns are the basis, I would specifically request that I be given VERY specific examples of accidents including names and contact information regarding these cases.

It would be obvious to any casual observer that a plane with zero inertia, hovering in place and skillfully lowered to the point of touching the rudder is of very little danger to anyone. I would assert that a trainer in the hands of a new pilot is FAR more worrisome. Never mind the myriad of other high speed, heavy, and often difficult to fly planes in the scale, racing, and jet areas.

I wish to personally express my sadness that the AMA would go to this level to punish those of us that have surpassed the masses in skill to the point that 3D flying is the "last frontier". I can only assume that this rule was designed to placate those that are unable to enjoy this aspect of our great hobby and are jealous of those that do.

Since you are up for elections this year, your response to this email will be the primary factor in determining my vote (only 2 weeks to go). Further, I have yet to renew my AMA this year, and will hold off on that until I see this issue addressed in some way. Please keep in mind that there is competition for this AMA members $58, and I will use it in the way that moves this hobby ahead rather than locking it into 20 year old flying concepts.

Thank you for you time

Gordon Barcomb
AMA #737298
The more I think about this the madder I get. This will be a bonanza to the anti-3D group. I see some that are saying "hey no biggie..." But I don't see it that way. Those are the same guys that say "Hey, it's only annother penny of sales tax....."

Once in a while there is an issue that defines the battle, this is it for me. I'll be pushing this one to the max. I'm sick of these guys pushing their "Way too big" organization on the unwilling.[:@][:@][:@]

OK AMA, bring it on[>:]
Old 10-30-2003, 10:02 PM
Bill Mixon

Just wanted to jump on board here to see where this goes...

IMHO, this just sucks
I'm tired of this crap from the AMA.
I've got hundreds of hover catches on my profiles and other fun fly type planes with 0 incident, used to catch by the tail, the fuse, the wing tips, the bottom.
I love doing this, and most spectators enjoyed seeing it as well. Then came the no touch the model rule.[:'(] To say I was mad, would be an extreme understatement.
Now, NO TAIL TOUCHING!!![:@]

As I type this I'm looking at my renewal form. If it were not for the fact that I will be attending a few fly in's next year, I would keep my $58 and put it on fuel.

I do most of my flying on private property fortunately, where no group can dictate how I fly.

I wonder, where will this end?
Maybe in a few years all we will be able to do is takeoff, fly around in a nice set pattern, with only straight and level flight allowed, and land.
I know that's a bit extreme, but my point is if the AMA is allowed to keep making rules directly against us profile/ funfly/ 3D fliers we may be put out of flying all together.

Notice it doesn't affect any other type of flying. I'm still allowed to catch my hand launch glider for example.

I personally don't care for warbirds and jets making high speed passes down the strip. No I'm not against this type of flying, it's just not something I do or care for.
If you look at the safety concerns though, there is a lot more danger with this than touching the tail of a profile on the ground.

Bill
Old 10-30-2003, 10:05 PM
torquerolln

Default RE: Touchin the <span class=

my field here in shelton connecticut right now is pretty nice about 3D'n. it's all old guys and im young so they like it and neways usually they do not fly. So...what could the AMA do if you did touch the tail on the ground? Is touching water like in a lake the sa,e as touching grass? thanks to every1 who replied to this forum...u guys r funny
Old 10-30-2003, 10:27 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

You know this rule and the no touching a plane in flight rule was brought up at our monthly meeting this past month. Needless to say the President is against this activity. The big problem is that I was the one that got looked at by everyone when this subject was brought up!

But I ususally fly with about 4-5 guys that are into the 3-d stuff. We get up and fly early in the morning, and stay to about noon. This way we avoid most of the circle turners! I have to agree it is prolly a lot safer to hover, than it is to run high speed passes down the runway! I have only watched on accident from a hovering plane. The guy gave full throttle as the plane fell over on its back. Instead of pushing DOWN elevator, he pulled up. The plane did came back into the pitts, and tear up at least one other plane. So accidents can happen, but I stil stick that hovering a plane close to the ground is much safer than other types of flying.

Am I the only one that thinks 58 dollars a year is a little much? I would gladly pay them half that for the insurance and they can keep their lame magazine!
Old 10-30-2003, 10:55 PM
shanes300
My Feedback: (8)

The way I see it is these smaller fun fly 3D planes are the safest thing in the air. They are almost as light as indoor park flyers. They are designed for QUICK response and extremly slow flight and high alpha manuvers. I would rather a plane hit me at 5 mph than 100 mph any day... I am all for 3D stuff, shute I have even designed my own 46 size plane.
The biggest part of it is you got these old farts at the field that dont like change and are set in their ways and dont have the gumption to get out there and try some of it them selves.
I have been flying now for about 23 years and alway welcome the opertunity to try new things to enhanse my skills....

go
3D !!!!!!!!! www.rchovering.com I have pics of my design ( It'll Du 3D ) on my web site.
Shane
Old 10-30-2003, 11:04 PM
Bill Mixon

Am I the only one that thinks 58 dollars a year is a little much? I would gladly pay them half that for the insurance and they can keep their lame magazine!
No your not the only one.
With these restrictions being impossed it's $58 too much.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:11 PM
latch66

Go Gordo!

Good Luck Man, but I doubt if it will do anything.

There seems to be too many "anti-3D'ers" whispering in the ears of the upper AMA types.

It's really a shame. 3D and Parkflyers seem to be the fastest growing segment of our hobby. I really wish some of these folks would check out the covers of the mags now (including the AMA's) and what type of aircraft are gracing the advertisements in the mags.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:29 AM
777M8

I'm with Gordo!!! What is going to happen at the T.O.C. Ok Jason,Chip and you other guys no tail touchy...This is a bunch of BS I think we should all write a letter or just copy and paste Gordons...B Bill
Old 10-31-2003, 12:32 AM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

Bill there is no TOC Bill bennet passed away and with him the TOC
Old 10-31-2003, 02:41 AM
SWICK
My Feedback: (4)

Well here is my two cents for what its worth. Ive been flying rc's for 2 years now. I have been flying profiles and trying to 3d for about 6months and love it. I honestly feel in doing so that it has made me more of a concious and stable flyer im confident knowing that I can recover. Now correct me if Im wrong here, 3d is considered to be a controled crash or to some degree. If you can manage to preform a tail touch, a hover, a knife edge, a flat spin, waterfall, blenders and tourqin on the deck than by GOSH D@#MN IT, I feel a HELL of a lot safer around the PRO BRO'S than I do with the ones that fly pattern all the time and crash in the pitts because they dont know how to recover from a mishap. Then they pick up there sticks get PI$$ed [:'(]and leave, then write to AMA letting them know how discusted they are. Now what is the rule #1 ABSOLUTY POSITIVLY NO WHINNING. Always have a back up!! and go at it again. This is considerd a HOBBY and to some a Profession so lets leave it that way and have fun.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:08 AM
matlok

Hmmm... you can't touch the GROUND.... but if the grass is 2" tall and the tail is 1" deep in the grass, then you're not actually touching the GROUND, just the grass.... [X(]

And if you want to get really pickey:
"nor should any part of the model other than the landing gear, intentionally touch the ground, except while landing"

So by definition you can still be legal by 1) calling "landing" and land out of a hover or 2) just yell "OPPS!" real loud before and/or after the tail touches (hey it wasn't an intentional touch!)

Sorry that I'm not taking this serously, but I guess I'm a little spoiled here in our club. The only, and I mean ONLY "rule" we have is "don't fly over the pits" - for every thing else people just use common sense and everything works out great and SAFELY with no accidents. And 3d flying (tail touch included) is normal and actually ENCOURAGED! We go to the field to fly, not to make up rules!
Old 10-31-2003, 07:10 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Wow, fastest reply I have ever got from anyone at AMA. Her is Sandy Franks reply. Pretty slim but at least he wasn't in favor. I'll call this Maroney today and see what's up. I'll also put another call in to Dave Brown. (sure, he could call back, might even beat Pres Bush!)

Dear Gordo:

Please contact Carl Maroney at 1-800-IFLYAMA

he is on the AMA Safety Committee that confronted this situation.

he can give you supportig information..

It involves punative damages..and liability

I voted against this but was in the minority.

More food for thought: For those that don't take this seriously (OK, I may take it TOO serious), especially if it's because of your club being cool, consider 2 things. First, get on board for the sake of your fellow 3D freaks. There a LOTS of guys that get regular grief over this from there club, and this is all those grumps need to shut down those guys, especially those "I'm the only 3Der at my club." guys that we hear from so often. Also, if you go to a few "regular" fly-ins (or like the MO crowd, every weekend!) and show your 3D skills, what will happen when you do the "TOUCH"? What can ruin a great weekend of flying faster than the CD of an event coming over and lecturing you about "unsafe" flying? Well, ok, crashing your Sledge might be worse.

Any way, more ahead. I hear the next addition to rule 9 will be "nor shall any model in flight be held stationary or in high alpha slow flight over the runway or within 100 yards of the runway, unless over 100 feet high, lest said plane interfere with the landing of a 50 pound P-51 Mustang, and pilot of said Mustang veeres off to avoid collision and flys directly into the pits and kills someone."

Later all

Gordo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.