Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

New Goldberg Edge 540 Profile

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

New Goldberg Edge 540 Profile

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 10:21 AM
johnhardy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Goldberg Edge 540 Profile

Anyone seen one of these yet ?
Hows it look ?
Old 12-04-2003, 10:32 AM
TERMAGATOR
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: New Goldberg Edge 540 Profile

aint seen it in person, saw where you can get it for $179 if your a member of tower super saver club,,,still thats too much IMO,,,,,,G
Old 12-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Vref

pretty cool cover job on that thing...I hate when they only offer ARF's. These things would be ten times better if it were a kit, built how you want it.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:21 PM
akahoverit

OK heres what you do, build a OMP edge 540 then go to the store and buy a pound of hamberger and duck tape it to your plane and go fly your 5 LB plane, should be like CG's new boat anchor.
NO THANKS I'll keep my 4lb omp and my sledge is gonna be around 4lbs to.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:30 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Yup! Hamburger!

Looks nice though.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:31 PM
johnhardy1

Ok. I see. ARF = CRUD.

Still , has anyone actually seen one yet? Same quality as their first profile ?

J
Old 12-05-2003, 09:34 PM
Rotcivv17
Banned

It is just plain stupid to waste $200 on this plane. You can use that money on the Funtana, MUCH MUCH better plane and save some bucks, better looking too. Oh, by the way, the Funtana's back in stock at horizon for those of you who wanna get one. Great plane.
Victor
Old 12-05-2003, 11:39 PM
ifly04

I saw one at the lhs today was not very impressed. I just did not like the looks of it compared to the omp edge. The covering schem to me was not very good looking. It was applied very well and I diddn't notice any wrinkels but i diddn;t think red blak and purple looked to good. the only thing i see diffrent than most other profile i have seen is the fully symetrical flying tail. just my .02
Old 12-06-2003, 12:07 AM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

LHS has it for $179 as well. I saw one too. Didn't see the fuse. Just saw the wing. The aileron follows the contour of the airfoil. That's what's different from the Extreme 330. I looked at the manual as well. The fuselage construction is very similar to Extreme 330. The airfoiled stab looks really thick in the manual photo, like 1" at the thickest point. I wonder if these airfoiled surfaces will enhance flying. If it turns out to be a really good flying design, I may consider getting one, peeling off the covering, and lighten it. But for now, the Extreme 330 will do for me. I almost finished the 330, and it looks like it will weigh 4 lb 8 oz.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:27 AM
maherrpca

Too expensive, too heavy.It does look nice though. For $110 dollars cheaper you can get Global's Hot knife.($89dollars)
Old 12-12-2003, 04:39 AM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

To me it would seem difficult to say the Funtana flies better than the CG extreme 540 unless you have flown both. Have you? I flew the funtana and feel there are much better planes available. I am not saying the Extreme 540 flies better, I have not flown it. If it is like there 330 I wish them luck. Just an opinion.
Jeff Williams
Old 12-12-2003, 10:32 AM
lomcevek1

$180 for an ARF might seem a bit high, but I guess that would depend on what is inside. Is it heavy, what hardware, is it strong enough, does it fly well, is the covering going to peel, is the landing ear going to break? With the right answers to these questions then it might be worth every penny.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:07 PM
Vref

doesn't anybody like to build anymore? Half the fun is flying something you built and that looks different than everyone elses (sp). Until you turf it and have to start over I guess? These profiles are so easy to crank out you could build 2 for the price of an ARF POS and have a spare.
CM
Old 12-12-2003, 01:36 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

I saw one, and it looked ok, but it was displayed next to a UCD 46 and a Funtana. I'd bet $50 it sells last, unless they "backroom" the other two first.

The tail looked nice, as does the aileron contour. The covering looked well applied, but it is not my taste in colors.

Like I said, it was OK. For $180 I'd like it to be 4 to 4.5 pounds, however at 5+ pounds, I'm thinking maybe it's worth $125 to $150?

For the record, I like the Funtana (@$165), and if the UCD(@$150) was coming in at 5.5 pounds, not 6, I'd try that one too.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:56 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Personally, I'll take em both. Heck ... give me all of them.

By the way OMP planes kick all their butts!

A sneak preview of OMP's new site at www.dioncini.com/omp

"An RCU friendly environment"
Old 12-12-2003, 06:58 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

I have to agree with Jeff and SLT here. This thing could be the BOMB for all you guys who are knocking it know. If you haven't flown it/ seen it fly, or at least talked to a guy who flew it, how can you say it's a POS? (Now I would guess it isn't great, and wouldn't buy it, but I won't call it crap till I know it's in the toilet!)

Now if someone gets one and it weighs 5 1/2 pounds and breaks every time you land, and won't fly for crap, and you have to add weight to balance it, THEN we can bash the thing right to the moon!

And the price is now 179 on Tower w/o membership. Ya, it's still a bit pricy, but what do you think a Sledge ARF will cost? I haven't any idea, but if it was 179 I'd buy it right now!!!
Old 12-12-2003, 07:57 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

I really do not want to get into a disagreement with anyone, but to say it is only the pilot that matters is not 100% true. There are planes that perform some maneuvers easier than others. Therefore the 3 flight axis are not all the same with regard to performance or lack there of. I think we all know the Sledge and OMP little edge are better performers (all around performance I mean) than say a funtana or UCD. I have flown the UCD and funtana and while they are ok performers they do not come close to the overall abilities of the two aforementioned airplanes..... Just my 2 cents worth and not meant to offend/PO anybody. Jeff W.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:34 PM
lomcevek1

Now if someone gets one and it weighs 5 1/2 pounds and breaks every time you land, and won't fly for crap, and you have to add weight to balance it, THEN we can bash the thing right to the moon!
Now then if someone gets it and it come in at under 4 pounds, performes flawlessly, takes a beating, and repairs itself, while flying for six hours on 1 oz of water then I would say it's a baragin. Like it has been mentioned here before lets wait and see.

HOWEVER !!!! Past experience has shown this to be not likely. I love my sledge and soon to be born again OMP edge.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:47 PM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: JWilliams
I really do not want to get into a disagreement with anyone, but to say it is only the pilot that matters is not 100% true. There are planes that perform some maneuvers easier than others. Therefore the 3 flight axis are not all the same with regard to performance or lack there of.
Now Jeff please don't get mad or upset, but from a physical standpoint the statement you made was contradictive. 3 flight axis plane are all the same no matter what the planes' shape or size. Every give has a take no matter how small the difference is whether weight, drag or whatever else. If you have a plane that is a performer in 1 specific area, it loses it's ability in another area, and that is a scientific fact. All 3 axis airplanes, that can fly in equilibrium, have the exact same properties. To say that one is better then the other is nearly impossible. It is 100% up to the pilot tastes.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:14 PM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

Thats just crazy. The airplane makes a huge difference and even tho a good pilot may be able to make a crappy airplane 3D ask him if it does it as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2003, 10:39 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

All the same? I think not. Yes, all planes with a rudder will yaw, but not all will KE loop, right? All with elevator will pitch, but not waterfall. All, with all three surfaces will snap, heck no! Try to snap a scale Wright flier!

The airframe matters.

And we haven't even talked about cross coupling. Do all planes do it? Probably, but not to the same degree. My Sledge has almost zero, but my trainer wouldn't do a good roll without the rudder helping out.

My thoughts were that the Funtana and UCD 46 look more like "sellers" than the Goldberg. Especially with lower price tags, and full fuselages.

My first post said nothing about which plane was better, only which I thought would sell first.

I guess I will be forced to try a few new planes in 2004, but the Goldberg Extreme will have to justify it's price. With that said, Sledge kit $110, 2 rolls Monokote $28, glues $8 to $10, replacement (by choice not necessity) hardware $20, and 2 Pro Bro circles for the tail $20. Flying the one and only Sledge 540... PRICELESS!

Edited to be less toxic to our RCU readers.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:50 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: TailTwister

I've been looking for an all around aerobat for a while, and the Funtana, as of right now, is it for me.
You will never find this "all around aerobat", none of us will. There will never be an all around airplane. I could go on and on giving you reasons why, but best said several of Newtonian laws prevents it.

The Wright Flyer has the exact same physical characteristics as an F22 Raptor which has the the exact same physical characteristics as an Edge. It's all a game of give and take. But in the end, it's up to the pilot to decide how he wants to fly that day with what type of airplane. Which goes to my original thread that you cannot compare a UCANDO with a profile Edge. They are apples and oranges.

So has anyone seen one of these Goldberg Edges?
Old 12-13-2003, 03:53 AM
seanychen

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

ORIGINAL: JWilliams
I really do not want to get into a disagreement with anyone, but to say it is only the pilot that matters is not 100% true. There are planes that perform some maneuvers easier than others. Therefore the 3 flight axis are not all the same with regard to performance or lack there of.
Now Jeff please don't get mad or upset, but from a physical standpoint the statement you made was contradictive. 3 flight axis plane are all the same no matter what the planes' shape or size. Every give has a take no matter how small the difference is whether weight, drag or whatever else. If you have a plane that is a performer in 1 specific area, it loses it's ability in another area, and that is a scientific fact. All 3 axis airplanes, that can fly in equilibrium, have the exact same properties. To say that one is better then the other is nearly impossible. It is 100% up to the pilot tastes.

I think most people will agree that a lighter plane will fky better than a heavier one w/ the same dimensions. This will most likely be true when we talk Sledge vs Extreme 540. There are slight differences in dimensions, but the 1 lb difference in weight will out-weigh the other differences, if Goldberg didn't *over-advertise* their weight
Old 12-13-2003, 03:56 AM
seanychen

So as the market stands now, if I want a profile Edge in 40 size, I either build a 4 lb kit or 5 lb ARF. Interested to see what the Extreme Flight Edge ARF weighs in.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:08 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: seanychen
I think most people will agree that a lighter plane will fly better than a heavier one w/ the same dimensions. This will most likely be true when we talk Sledge vs Extreme 540. There are slight differences in dimensions, but the 1 lb difference in weight will out-weigh the other differences, if Goldberg didn't *over-advertise* their weight
True. Most people in this forum will agree to that, no doubt. But remember even taking away weight loses other abilities in flight characteristics. For instance, safer and easier landings. The ability to be more stable in gusty winds. A beginner pilot would want the extra weight, as long as he had the engine to back it up. I am not trying to be argumentative, I just like talking planes and physics there of.

Since I have started in this hobby I have been sucked up by this profile bug most of all. To me profiles just feel the best in my hands. When people watch me fly my OMP GS540 they either say "wow that plane looks like it would be good for me" or "nah, I'll stick to my snorebird and fly circles!"

Point being, your right most people will agree a lighter one is better. Even I do. But everytime you give or take anything different to an airplane you have given or taken from another aspect of how it's going to fly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.