Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Super Wasp: Any last minute tips?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Super Wasp: Any last minute tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 01:38 AM
CHM
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Wasp: Any last minute tips?

A friend and I are building two Super Wasps. The wings are framed and I just laminated the fuselage sides.

I was thinking about extending the canopy back to the fin full height like I saw someone else do. Any other mods or tips that we might want to consider? The rudder seems small. I might enlarge that.

I also want to use a single aileron servo to save weight. I've had several profiles with flaperons and I can live without them. Or am I making a mistake?

Thanks!

Chuck
Old 05-23-2002, 02:00 AM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Don't do it!

Chuck,
Don't extend the fuse turtledeck area!
The best shape is similar to an Extra or Giles. You need the area at the CG for knife edge. I know!
The rudder can be a little larger. Just ad some area to the bottom, as too much area at the top of the rudder will cause roll (proverse).

Two servos are not really needed with the original size ailerons, but they are so much nicer to set up. Plus you have some redundancy if one fails.

Put the CG smack on 28%, and you will love it!

Good luck,

Joe Petro
Old 05-23-2002, 02:13 AM
CHM

Okay, I won't.

Joe, do you think it could use a little larger canopy around the CG? I don't really care, but my friend is new to 3D and wants to try to knife-edge his. I basically want it as a hovering trainer.

I agree with the redundancy, but I've only had one servo totally fail in 33 years of R/C. We'll see, I may change my mind yet.

It looks like you had the extended canopy on yours. How did it perform. Do we want the single wheel?

Thanks!

Chuck
Old 05-23-2002, 01:47 PM
Joe Petro

Go with the bigger canopy.
My fuse has too much area behing the CG. It rolls and pitches pretty hard with rudder...

I used two wheels, as I fly off of pavement.

There isn't an easier plane to learn to hover with than the Wasp.
Don Incoll really has something in this design.

Joe Petro
Old 05-23-2002, 01:58 PM
Joe Petro

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12000_4657.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	8045  
Old 05-23-2002, 02:45 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I did the super wasp canopy mod... It helped a little, but knife edge is still a little sloppy..... Build the rudder out of 1/4 sq instead of 3/8"... don't need it. You can also stick build the elevator and aileron's to save some weight... My next wasp is going to have the thicker built up fuse... Check out Don's new prototype pics... He thickened the fuse and put the servo's in the bottom!! Saved a buch of weight.

I tried my first wasp with a single wheel.... didn't like it... went with two wheel gear... I also went with dual aileron servo's... flapperon's really help in the inverted flat spin...

This plane was designed to hover and do really tight loops and cool flat spins..... Have a blast with it!!
Old 05-23-2002, 08:20 PM
CHM

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Anybody have a link to the newest built-up Wasp fueselage?

Chuck
Old 05-23-2002, 08:54 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Don's site is http://www.users.bigpond.com/sirexwasp/... but it appears to be down.... Or should I say down under....
Old 05-24-2002, 05:43 AM
UK Exile

the new Wasp with thick fuse & lighter weight is called the Wasp Plus, prototype pics are on the website.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:56 PM
jmsilhy

Default One more tip...

When you're done with your super wasp and flying it, DON'T fall out of a hover at 6'! (Don't ask!)

You really hit the nail with the hover trainer with this plane!
Old 05-24-2002, 04:01 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

I HAD the super wasp. I really like it. I wish I would have not crashed it. I had a ST45 on first. But later switched to a TT 46. The TT 46 seemed like it had more power. I think a TT46 w/ stock muffler w/ baffle removed is the perfect engine for this plane.

I had 1 wheel, and 1 alieron servo. All standard JR 517BB. total weight was 4.5lbs.

My next one I build I will try and lightne it up. I do recommend 2 servos for alierons just plane easier to set up. W/ the one servo being so far away from the control horn, possible flutter, and the servo being right in the middle of the fuselage. I couldn't remove my servo, until after I crashed my plane.
Old 05-25-2002, 04:21 AM
vertigo

Default Super wasp knife edge

My superwasp had a lot of adverse roll coupling in knife edge until I added the winglets as shown on Don Incoll's web site. For you flyers who want a better knife edgeing Superwasp the winglets will just about neutralize the large amount of roll coupling this model has. It still won't be an excellent knife edger but much better.