Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

ALL HAIL GATOR! ALL HAIL THE E-GATOR BIRD

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

ALL HAIL GATOR! ALL HAIL THE E-GATOR BIRD

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 07:41 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ALL HAIL GATOR! ALL HAIL THE E-GATOR BIRD

Money isn't everything. There are a lot more advantages other than which set up costs what.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:15 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Gee chuck I didnt realize you were wealthy Some of us ol shlubs that havent seen a raise for 3 years have to worry about money. [&:]
Old 06-11-2004, 08:31 AM
ChuckAuger

I'm not wealthy. I was unemployed for the first 4 months of this year.

It's just that your argument of $ for an electric vs $ for a glow did not take into account all aspects of the comparison. Some of the benefits of electric cannot be translated into exact dollar figures.

There are choices to be made in the set up of every model, both glow and electric. I seem to recall you saying you had a Saito 72. Well, a Mecoa .46 is about $150 cheaper, but yet you chose the Saito. Why is that?? No need to answer, it was a rhetorical question. Point is, you did not make the most frugal purchase, yet you had the choice to.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

The good news is that the 4120 is only $159. That's a pretty good deal. Of course there are other parts that add up. The JESA70op is $139 and you need a BEC (we have a 6 volt version now) $43.50.
The 2 cell Kokams are $31.20 a piece and I'm running 8 of those.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:37 AM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

I easily burn $6 to $7 worth of glow fuel in 5 hours of daylight. And that's taking time out to talk to folks. At the field alone I ve burned a whole $20 Gallon of Wildcat in a day. Well, 10 days of flying and I've got a brushless motor, right? Now the other stuff is in the $500+ range? That's 25 gallons of fuel? That might be 2 years of flying for me! I think I'll stick with glow for now...

I bought a little brushless system, and almost choked paying for it. I also almost choked paying for my YS 91 FZ, but I'm not gonna complain there. I do understand Chucks point, but the 40 glow to electric conversion is still too expensive for my blood. I do not always make a frugal choice either, but it will be a while before I do a project like this. It will be a very long time before glow is gone, too.

Billy, that is a great lookin' plane, but you gotta get back in the saddle. Being a Pro Bro, I'm sure you understand that flying isn't truly a spectator sport.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:40 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Wow, we have a whole new line to argue now....

Used to be: JR vs Futaba, 4stroke vs 2stroke, castor vs synthetic, standard servo vs better....

Now we've got glow vs electric, outrunner vs can (or whatever the opposite of outrunner is), paper vs plastic......
Old 06-11-2004, 10:43 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Man, I think you just made my point, as I figure it thats right at 600 dollars for the powerplant and batts, and thats not even a spare set of batteries. I love my 3d electric foamy's but the cost is going to have to come way down for me to enter that market. Oh and chuck I bought my saito 72 used But my zdz 80 on the other hand Maybe thats my problem 1 giant scale eats my budget up
Old 06-11-2004, 10:47 AM
ChuckAuger

Yes, I have no interest in giant scale. You could have gotten a used Mecoa 46 for less than a used Saito 72.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:48 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

ORIGINAL: shortman

Hmm, I like my 4 strokes. The Hacker is the quietest motor ive ever heard. Troy at BPP makes an aluminum gear box for the Lehner thats awesome and also very very very quiet. You must be thinking of a geared motor with the gearbox, the Maxon planetary gear built in with the hacker is awesome
I've been very open about my ignorance here....just trying to figure it all out. What does the gearbox weigh and cost that is quiter? Do they have one for the Himax 4100? (where should I look, all I see are GWS gear boxes) It's sad but I think of my foamy as loud! Can I get a planetary gear motor that will pull the Taco at 2# at a reasonable cost? I'm thinking I'm gonna pony up hear and go electric on a 25 sized plane. I just can't get over Paul's Taco (And Yours too Chuck, just didn't get to fly yours)

I'm even thinking of doing a Mini 3D electric. That's a very disposable airframe and mine is now under 2# with a .25 on it. Should be able to drop a few ounces eh?
Old 06-11-2004, 11:00 AM
ChuckAuger

Gordo, the main drawback with the planetary gearbox is that on the small motors like the Himax (I had hopes you would have liked the Razor,oh well..) you can't get but about a 4:1 ratio. So you have to run a low Kv motor. With the GWS-style gearboxes, you have much more lee way on gear ratios to optimize your power plant/prop to your airframe. There are Maxon planetary gearboxes for Razor motors, only 4:1 AFAIK. There are quieter gearboxes than the GWS EPS C that everybody complains about. Remember, on an outrunner, you have no control over any gear ratio...you have to run whatever prop you batteries/motor/esc will allow, and hope that it will fly your plane like you want it to.

I would highly recommend that you get an Axi and be done with it. If you were happy with Paul's Taco, then that's good enough, right??
Old 06-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

ORIGINAL: ChuckAuger

(I had hopes you would have liked the Razor,oh well..)
I would highly recommend that you get an Axi and be done with it. If you were happy with Paul's Taco, then that's good enough, right??
Ouch, I've been spanked by Chucky!! I haven't used the Razor, remeber chat last week? You said not to on that plane remember?????? I have annother coming that will be lighter, I'll put the Razor on it!! (I also need some of those plugs, can't find annything local.)

I'll dink around for a long time before I get the bigger stuff. I need more info and can't really figure out where to get it. I'm conspiring with annother person to get things going.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:51 PM
777M8

Great pics Billy! I really like your E-Bird!!!!
Old 06-11-2004, 11:56 PM
Billy Hell

I just put the finishing touches on my second E bird. You can see this one at SEFF. Now only two more planes to build and I'll be done! I'm axious to show you guys this one. Maybe you have already seen a version of it.
TT
It's not that I'm not flying. I'm just building and flying a lot of different planes all the time. It's like my Dad used to say, "beware of the man with one gun". I have so many I can't concentrate.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:17 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Boy I can relate to that. I have more planes ready to fly than I ever have. But I just want more and more, I have 6 planes totally outfitted, 2 more w/o some radio gear. Not even a crashed bird waiting on repairs. But I have 3 projects in the shop now and at least 3 more I want to do!! So many planes.........
Old 06-12-2004, 09:29 AM
Billy Hell

We have all been hammering away at getting planes ready for SEFF. I have been up late for two weeks now. It feels like I have a hang over every morning. The good news is that I will have a harem great 3D planes when I 'm done.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

What, where and when is FEFF? I've heard of it and I think I know it's electric...........
Old 06-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Billy Hell

SEFF is in GA and is this next weekend. It is a big electric Flyin.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:25 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

I've got 4 flyable now. The EF Edge, Mini 3D, Giles, and a Super Cub. I usually take the two 3D planes to the field, and mostly I fly the Mini 3D. I truly hate my Giles, and plane #4 is a Super Cub that was built to launch large scale sail planes, so that one doesn't fly much yet.

The Mini is the most "comfortable" 3D plane I've ever flown. It seems like I'm flying a foamy when I'm up with the Mini. I fly 50 foot harrier circles, waist to head high, tail touching in front of me each lap. I'd bet I burned 8 or 10 tanks of fuel, just doing that yesterday.

I'm gonna have to get another one of those one day. The poor thing is taking quite a beating lately...
Old 06-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Billy Hell

I've got the Mini and I'm going AXi on it. All I hear are good things.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:09 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

ORIGINAL: Billy Hell

I've got the Mini and I'm going AXi on it. All I hear are good things.
Dude, I'm so freaking jealous......Bill and I were just saying how annoying that stinking .25 is. I'm putting my .25 Irvine on it now that SMALL is over and I can go bigger on the Taco. That will be quieter. The Mini is too cool, for what you pay especially. They are what we truely terrorized SMALL with, except Paul who was all about Tacos, 3 to be exact! Oh, and his war chest of electrics that were well worn after the indoor deal.....