Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

ALL HAIL GATOR! ALL HAIL THE E-GATOR BIRD

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

ALL HAIL GATOR! ALL HAIL THE E-GATOR BIRD

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALL HAIL GATOR! ALL HAIL THE E-GATOR BIRD

I post these images in honor of the builder, Pro Bro Gator and because it looks so damn pretty.
This is one sweet bird at 5 pounds. 15x8 prop, AXI 4120, 4s4p.
Takes an hour to charge and I can get about 40 minutes of flight.
It looks like it did when it was new (no oil after every flight).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47808.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	141746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12223.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	141747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94033.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	141748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44107.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	141749  
Old 06-10-2004, 11:25 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: AXI Profile

I'd figure in about a couple years glow will be gone altogether. It just does not make sense to spend sometimes $20 a day on the field.

Billy can you supply us with exact part numbers for the setup. Also what glow motor would you compare the power too.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:29 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: AXI Profile

That's cool Billy! Mighty fine looking rig all around.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 06-10-2004, 11:55 AM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Default RE: ALL HAIL GATOR! ALL HAIL THE E-GATOR BIRD

That thing is bad *****!! Gator is one mean ***** coverin' ****!!! Nice job bringing it all together Billy!!
Old 06-10-2004, 02:58 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

very nice looking bird!! Axi motors are awesome too
Old 06-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Billy Hell

All right here is the run down:

PM4120/14
PM41002 Radial Mount
JESA70 Opto with BEC (Use the 6 volt version)
Graupner 15x8 E prop
Hitec 85 Metal Gears (weight reduction)
4s4p 1500 Kokams

The verticle is good. I would compare this to a .46 OS FX. Pro Bro FlyBoone flies it everytime I have had it out and he has commented that he thinks I have a very sweet bird on my hands. It is really great to just pull this thing out of the truck, plug in the battery and hit the throttle. It's fun to bring it out around people that have never seen it. I hit the throttle and roll as she is heading skyward. The ProTwister is a great airframe. Totally stable, KEs well, harriers great with this setup and is very solid in a hover.
I love it.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:26 PM
STLPilot

Well I'm just about ready to get my 47" Yak flying. I wanted an elec option for it, I guess this is going to be the route.

I just don't see how you could ever want to fly another glow after flying this. Am I wrong about that? Convince me that glow is better? More powerful? I mean is the rumble of a YS 63 or Saito 72 that important? Is there any reason at all why glow would be better. I mean 40 minutes on a single charge. How does it get better then that.

Help me Billy!
Old 06-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Billy Hell

The limitation I see right now is battery wieght BUT I think that will change soon. This would get the plane back down to 4.5 pounds where it belongs. I have to admit that since I built this plane I haven't flown glow.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Well I'm just about ready to get my 47" Yak flying. I wanted an elec option for it, I guess this is going to be the route.

I just don't see how you could ever want to fly another glow after flying this. Am I wrong about that? Convince me that glow is better? More powerful? I mean is the rumble of a YS 63 or Saito 72 that important? Is there any reason at all why glow would be better. I mean 40 minutes on a single charge. How does it get better then that.

Help me Billy!
I'm excited about moving on up to the bigger electrics too......But lets keep it in perspective...That rig cost A LOT more than a .46fx. As to long term, I haven't been able to get an answer as to whether the Batteries will last long enough to pay out the Glow fuel. 40.min is a really long flight. If you had 2 Batts that would be unlimited flying. That makes it way better than before!! That blows away my previous feeling about waiting to charge.

After flying Pauls eTaco Sat, I was almost ready to go get an Axi myself. That new one is Bad to the Bone!!!!! And super light!!!!!!! But I'm trying to be a good boy, I have 3 other projects to do as well as a family and a business...........and then there is finding time to actually fly!!!!!
Old 06-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

so tell s Billy who was the Pilot flying the twister while hovering on the deck ?
Old 06-10-2004, 04:22 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I really love my Burrito and I have wanted to do a 40 size electric. I may have to get a kit from Pauly in Derby and electrify it. I don't think I could tell the difference on my current Burrito if it was 8oz heavier.
See you all in Derby,,,Matt
Old 06-10-2004, 04:31 PM
ChuckAuger

The key to these electrics is to leave a lot of the pieces out! You will have a lot better, lighter airplane if you build it to be electric from the start than if you build it per glow plans and hang an electric motor on it. The electrics don't have the pounding of an engine on them, the airframes can be built much lighter and still be plenty strong to 3D.

Matt, what you want to shoot for is electric and 8oz lighter than glow, don't look at electric as a weight penalty.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Billy Hell

FlyBoone is my current gun slinger. If I build something real nice I'll yell for him and he will wring it out. My 3D skills are really starting to suck since I'm building and flying so many different planes here at the Lobby. I am rededicated to fly in the morning though and try to get some chops back.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Shortman

If you want power like a Saito or better use a Lehner Brushless motor, just comparing two motors, my Hacker B20 15L makes 198 Watts of power, or roughly 38 ounces of thrust. The Lehner is 1 ounce lighter and makes 300watts of power, has over 58 ounces of thrust. They make more models of electric motors then any company I have seen. Of course you would need a bigger motor then 58 ounces of thrust but it would be IMO a better option then a Axi, performance wise.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:30 PM
TERMAGATOR

Hey
thanks for the kind words on the cover job..I have to admit that too is another borrowed scheme from a Japanese web page. Nice photos billy...gator
Old 06-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Billy Hell

My bird is pushing around 115 ounces of thrust and will hover that 5 pound plane at 30 amps. She is bbbbbad.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Shortman

Yeah, I was talking about the Lehner 2015, its the same size as a little Hacker B20 15l, those go in the smalle 3d foamies. Lehner makes motors up to over 4000watts of power lol
Old 06-10-2004, 10:06 PM
ChuckAuger

Shortman, you have your numbers screwed up on the motors. If you are talking about Josh's JJ motor, he has the 1020/15. But you are correct that it's an entirely different size range of power system.

Billy works for Hobby Lobby, the US distributor for Axi. You wouldn't expect a Ford dealer to run a Chevy engine in his demo car, would you??

And Billy, I hope we get to hook up at Nash so you can see 60 oz in a 1.5 lb plane.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

ORIGINAL: Billy Hell

My bird is pushing around 115 ounces of thrust and will hover that 5 pound plane at 30 amps. She is bbbbbad.
That Rocks Billy. I loved the Axi on Paul's Taco, I'm sure we'll love yours' too!! (you passing around the tx in Nashville?)

I wonder how fair the compaison between 4stroke and Axi and 2 stroke and Hacker/Lehner is. The Outrunner swings the bigger prop and is quieter, though it doesn't put out as much power for the weight (sorta 4stroke-ish) The Hacker/Lehner Needs a noisy (relatively speaking) gearbox and is light/makes more power.

AND there seems to be a contingent of guys bent on convincing us that we don't really like the Axi (a lot like those who hate 4 strokes)

Now don't take any of that personal guys, just thinking out loud!!!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:21 PM
ChuckAuger

A fair comparison would be the Axi is heavier and swings a smaller prop, but who's keeping score?

And I like 4 strokes.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Shortman

Hmm, I like my 4 strokes. The Hacker is the quietest motor ive ever heard. Troy at BPP makes an aluminum gear box for the Lehner thats awesome and also very very very quiet. You must be thinking of a geared motor with the gearbox, the Maxon planetary gear built in with the hacker is awesome
Old 06-10-2004, 10:26 PM
ChuckAuger

Well, I've entered the 7th level of Hell, shortman is agreeing with me.

Shortman, go work on that TopCap or clip a poodle.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

Totally awsome P.T. Billy Ive had many of them. I love the one i have right now but how in the world do you get a good Knife Edge out of it? all my dozen or so P.T.'s have coupled like a mother
Old 06-10-2004, 11:33 PM
Billy Hell

I have no idea. Lucky maybe. I have a little up in my ailerons but it knife edged nice right out of the box. The only problem I have with this plane is that it's so nice I'm afraid of loosing it. I know that's no way to fly a plane and I'm going to have to get over it. I am building another profile right now with a 4120 on it for SEFF. I post some pics when I get it going.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:25 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Price out the power system and 2 sets of batteries and then tell me glow is gone. I would love a 40 size electric but It would have to be cost competetive to a glow bird. Lipo's dont last forever the way we fly them either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.