Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

GP Big Stick

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 05:54 PM
jamespal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Big Stick

I piecing together an old U build version of the GP Big Stick. I'm getting parts from various sources, a wing here, fuse there, kind of a scrouged plane. I'm looking at this and it seems like a fairly big plane, 61" WS. After checking the box of stuff, I have four engine choices, all Super Tigres: G.40, Bull Ring .46, Como .51 and G.60X. I'm leaning toward the G .60 and I want to put the Como in a Hot Hots. The plane will be a tail dragger. There is nothing like power. I'm an OK flyer.

Suggestions on the engine choice? Why?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2003, 12:03 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default GP Big Stick

The current description of the GP Big Stick is Big Stick 60. That should apply to the one you are scrounging as well
A .60 in the stick will make a fine flying aircraft. It will be as aerobatic as you want it to be. Just because it has a .60 doesn't mean it has to be flown at full throttle all the time. If you don't want to mortgage the farm for an engine the OS .65 LA is an adequate engine. A lot of flyers like the Super Tiger. I'm not a fan. The ones at our field are always in need of adjustment and they always sound as if they are detonating. Of course this will start a big HOORAH and end up with a ton of condemnations of the OS LA series.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:01 PM
jamespal

Default GP Big Stick

It sounds like you are in favor of the .60 engine. I did a little comparing of Stick designs. I have a plan for a very generic 60 sized stick. It has a 62 inch wing span but, the fuselage of the big stick .40 is about 5 inches shorter. The wing span for the wing I'm using is 61 inches. The .60 is looking like the winner.

I'm with you about the LA series. It comes down to a bushed engine vs. a ball bearing. Everything being equal, the BB will give about 1K more RPM for a given prop. The LA is not a go fast engine, but is will still turn in the bush league.

All of this plane is comming out of my parts box except the fuse and wing which I got great deals on ebay. I've got a lot of older Super Tigre engines. They were some of the best in their day. The carbs come pre-set from the factory and just need a little tweaking. If you loose this preset it is easy to restore. To me, they sound like a finely tuned Ferrari.

You can tell your guys at the field how to set the carb:
1. remove the carb from the engine.
2. look up through the bottom of the carb at the fuel jet in the spray bar.
3. Turn the idle needle in or out untill half of the jet is blocked.
4. Turn the high speed jet out 2 to 2 1/2 turns.
5. Reinstall the carb.
6. Set the high speed needle they way you like it.
7. The idle needle should be very close and should not need more than 1 or 2 clicks either way.
8. Don't screw with the settings.
Once they have been set they will run better than most engines.

It is too bad Super Tigre has been sold out to the Chinnese. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2003, 07:06 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default GP Big Stick

Sounds as if you have mastered the Super Tiger. Good I'll print this out for our ST flyers. As to being sold to the Chinese - what hasn't. Japan has the Futaba radios made in Taiwan, Hitec comes from Korea and almost everything else comes from somehwere other than the name would indicate. I will say that the best electric stuff seems to come from Germany and Czechoslovakia. Maybe they even farm that out. I think, but I could be wrong, that OS engines are still made in Japan but I'm not really sure.