Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 Goldberg edge 540 Ballooning >

Goldberg edge 540 Ballooning

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Goldberg edge 540 Ballooning

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg edge 540 Ballooning

When I go below 1/4 throttle of coming out of a turn a low throttle the plane balloons. Is this a characteristic of all profile edge 540's? Is it the air foiled tail that causes this. Also it must be why it harriers easy.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:39 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Goldberg edge 540 Ballooning

You are tail heavy, at least by traditional definition. Yes, it helps harrier, and I think the airfoiled tail has something to do with it. Umm, wait, I do have this plane, if you happened to have glanced my avitar.

This plane will end up tail heavy unless you put a really heavy motor up front. I had to put battery pack sandwitched between the fuel tank and fuselage to achieve a "non tail-heavy" balance.

This plane is fun, and at your CG setting, you will have to harrier land it most of the time when the fuel tank is near empty, unless you put down elevator.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:54 AM

Could also be a thrust problem on the engine. By this that you have too much downthrust on the engine. Do a simple test. Fly at full throttle straight and level (For a quick burst though cause you might get flutter). Make sure your plane is trimmed perfectly and is not going anywhere but straight. You should not have to give any input on the stick. Now chop the throttle to idle and observe. If it pops up immediatly then you have too much downthrust on the motor. If the plane goes straight for a while and only starts popping when you get to slow speed then it's CG. If it is CG then I wouldn't touch it. Clearly you are able to handle the plane just fine as is with the current CG so all the better for you and the planes capabilities.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:31 PM

I bought the Goldberg extreme edge 540 yesterday,thougt it looked like a cool plane and thought that it would fly great,but after all the threads that I have read,it sounds like a pile of crap,so I took it back to the hobby shop.I'm going to order a plane from omp!they might cost more but I have not read anything bad about there planes.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:53 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't speak for the Extreme 540, but I have an Extreme 330 and it does fly great. If you think a 3D plane flies like a trainer of a Stick, you are mistaken. If you balance them nose heavy, they can be Stick-like, but use a 3D balance and you get climbing inverted flat spins. I would put the optimal balance at a point where the plane is just pitch stable with a full tank, but at low fuel is oscillates in pitch. In this case you will need to use down elevator for landing or harrier land.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:25 AM

ORIGINAL: PIRATE-FLYER

I bought the Goldberg extreme edge 540 yesterday,thougt it looked like a cool plane and thought that it would fly great,but after all the threads that I have read,it sounds like a pile of crap,so I took it back to the hobby shop.I'm going to order a plane from omp!they might cost more but I have not read anything bad about there planes.
I really like the way it flys.No problems at all.OS .70fs II With a 14/4W APC Prop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24958.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	197190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70522.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	197191  
Old 11-28-2004, 10:29 AM

Thats cool that you like your edge but you are the fist person to say anything good about this plane and the odds are the plane would not fly to my expectations.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:59 AM
My Feedback: (5)

I have one of these Extreeme Edge. I have nothing really bad to say other than it's a PIG! I have put a Saito 100 on mine I had a Saito 72 first and although it does fly very well It's not near the top of the profile 3D class. Well over priced! My Saito 100 is going on a MoJo 60! I have one Extreeme Edge for sale to anyone who will take it!
Old 11-28-2004, 12:22 PM
My Feedback: (16)

If you are talking about the Extremeflight Edge 540 you need some flying lessons

The EF 540 makes even me look good

Just realized you're talking about the Goldberg Edge, which is a PIG. The Goldberg 330 flys well though.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:09 PM
My Feedback: (5)

goldberg Extreeme 540 3D [:@][:@][:@][:'(][:'(][:'(]