Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

OMP 65" versus the 79" OMP AFP Model

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP 65" versus the 79" OMP AFP Model

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Tram
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP 65" versus the 79" OMP AFP Model

Hey guys-

I've been flying the stock 79" OMP in AFP..

I am loving this beast, however, I cannot afford the 79" but can swing a 65".. Do they fly similarly?

Jeff
Old 11-19-2004, 02:50 AM
Spacey

Default RE: OMP 65" versus the 79" OMP AFP Model

Well I don't want to say this too loud but I think if one considers all the 65" is still the best profile on the market today. Not that the 79" is bad but it falls into a very different league all on its own. Thing about the 65" is it is still very nimble yet so stable that it's just got the whole package completely combined. If you look at the 79" Dion will maybe be able to ellaborate on it a bit more. He's currently flying a 79" if I recall correctly. Thing about the 79" is that for sure it is sooo impressive because of its size and can still do everything the 65" can do but it becomes a little bit of a gas bag. A big baby if you will just floating around and getting up to all the tricks. Where as the 65" will also do everything in the book and more but it still has that nimble profile attitude to it.

I guess all in all their not all that much different and none is really better than the other if you go compare them to each other. The one is just a little better at this and the other a little better at that. Nothing aerobatic really but more of a feel they got to them. The 79" is already Giant scale and the 65" is still normal scale.

All in all what I'm trying to get at is you won't be dissapointed with either one you get. In the end you're going to want both so you might as well get the 65" now and later save up for the 79"
Old 11-19-2004, 02:59 AM
Tram
My Feedback: (6)

Haha.. Yeh, I've been trying to snake a deal on a YS 1.10.. I got out bid by $2.50 on one last night on ebay while I slept!!!!

I am just loving the 79"er on AFP, so I was curious.

thanks for the reply!
Old 11-19-2004, 03:06 AM
Spacey

Oh yeah I also fly the 79" 50% of the time on AFP. But then again the Hybrid (Sorry Mike I know it still hurts ) is my other favourite. And well the I think to be honest with you and maybe a 65" owner can help me out here but I think the 65" on AFP is not quite the same as the real one. Guess it depends on what percentage you set the simulation speed but from the vids I've seen it's a also a baby.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:50 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

If you put a strong motor like BME 50 on the 79" Yak it would fly almost identical to the 65" Yak with YS 1.10. However it would do everything in sort of a slower motion and be more forgiving. They are both very forgiving, moreso then any plane on the market in my book. Spacey's right about the 65" Yak being the best flying profile on the market. The 65" Yak is a bit more fun to fly because of it's perfect size. However if you want to impress your audience the 79" Yak will take it from the 65" Yak. The planes have each others planform one is just scaled up from the other.

We've had lots of people fly the 79" Yak on the sim and call us a few hours later to order. It really comes down the what you want to spend on the plane. It's about $300 more to get the 79" Yak in the air with good power.

It's a win win either way.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:55 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

All three sizes of the yak 54 profile fly very similar. The best way to describe the differences is to compare flying a 90 size plane to it's 35% counterpart, and then the 40% counterpart. You know what they all say: "The bigger they are the better they fly". Well this is exactly true but only in certain aspects of flying. It's my opinion a well designed airframe can perform just about any manuever regardless of size. After all we've proven that with 3d flying. The kicker is the bigger the plane the more mass and inertia you have (and generate) and thus manuevers can be preforms much smoother, more stable, and with less tendencies to be disrupted by outside forces such as wind or even twichy thumbs.

The bottomline answer to your question is yes, the 65" Yak 54 flys as good as the 79" version. The 79" version offers that "BIG" sensation when flying, is more impressive to the crowd for showing off! The 65" version due to less mass is a bit more nimble and quicker in the manuevers.