Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

SLEDGE ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLEDGE ?

Does the sledge still seem to be "THE" profile to have. I have one not built. I have flown the crap out of my buddies CG Extreme 330 and I like everything about it except the harriers, but I can live with them. Does the Sledge fly that much better. Do I really need to spend that time to build and cover. I will if it flies that much better, but I just dont see how it can. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:28 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SLEDGE ?

I can't yet compare the Sledge but the Extreme Flight profile Edge is definitely better that either of the two Goldberg ARFs. I have a Sledge kit waiting it's turn on the table but it's about fourth in line. I can't blame you for being hesitant what with the price of the Sledge. By the time it was done it will have cost more than the Arfs!
Mine will get built though, hopefully this winter.
Matt
Old 11-24-2004, 08:45 AM

I know what you mean. By the time I bout the covering and all the other misc. parts. I have about 50 more bucks in it than the EF edge cost, and I havent even built it yet. I do want to build it if it will fly that much better. Anyway we will see.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:01 AM
My Feedback: (6)

As the designer of the sledge I would say this. If your personal 3D abilities are advanced, it is worth the time to build because the sledge is a very capable but advanced 3D plane. Does that make any sense? If not, let me know I will try to answer. The goldberg extra, not my choice. THe EF edge, great plane and I really bounce back and forth between it and the sledge as my favorite. Jeff W.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:22 PM

I can 3-D pretty good. Ill be honest, I want a plane that will harrier. Thats basically it. Almost any plane will do everything else, but very few will harrier. I want a plane that I can crank the engine, take off, put it in a harrier, harrier around until I run out of gas, and do it all over again. Will the Sledge do that?
Old 11-24-2004, 09:46 PM
My Feedback: (6)

[quote]ORIGINAL: 3D ONdaEDGE

I can 3-D pretty good. Ill be honest, I want a plane that will harrier. Thats basically it. Almost any plane will do everything else, but very few will harrier.

WOW, I have found most will harrier but then fail to excel at more advanced 3D maneuvers. OK, well the sledge will harrier all day and night inverted or upright. Best of luck, Jeff Williams
Old 11-25-2004, 04:46 PM
My Feedback: (2)

The sledge will harrier great, better than the Ohio Edge 540. (I have both). Mine is setup to use alivators which also seems to help. The sledge has a longer fuselage than the edge making for easier harriers & hovering but, built stock does not have quite the rudder or elevator power that the short edge 540 has. Never-the-less, the Sledge is my favorite. With a few simple mods, I have not found anything that size as fun to fly as the Sledge.

Sledge #1, Edge #1, Sledge #2
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32581.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	196537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82033.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	196538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53221.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	196539  
Old 11-25-2004, 06:03 PM
My Feedback: (228)

Wings will you share your mods on the Sledge. I am just now installing the radio in one. And like to know what you may have to offer. My EF 540 has been the best little 3-D. I had to go for the Sledge. Thanks Steve
Old 11-25-2004, 11:04 PM

well im waiting on a new pull-pull cable, as the one i got had kinks all through it, then i can fly it, iv had it for a while.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:02 AM

Im gald to hear all the comments on the SLEDGE. I might as well go ahead and build it since I have it. Would you share some of your mods. I am planning on putting counter-balances on the elevators. What else would you do?
Old 11-26-2004, 09:05 AM
My Feedback: (2)

This is what I did so it flys more the way I like. Built stock it's still a great profile. Forget the big glue joint in the center of the wing. Replace the 36" balsa leading edge & wing sheeting with 48" contest grade balsa & build the wing in one piece. You will save about 1/3 of the weight and have a stronger wing. The other mods I did on my second one was to increase the size of the rudder & rudder counterbalance. I also needed to "open up" the elevator to accommodate the larger rudder. I increased the size of the elevator to compensate for the loss of the larger "opening for the rudder. Finally I used a CF rod for the elevator joiner so I didn’t have a large cut out in the fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21276.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	196672  
Old 11-26-2004, 01:02 PM
My Feedback: (228)

Nice job Wings I will keep your mods for the next one. Or if I dork the tail I will incorporate them in. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:47 PM

Thanks for all the info. I had already planned on X-ing the glue joint in the middle of the wing and adding counter-balances to the elevators, but I will increase the size of the rudder also. Another question. Did you use the steel pull-pull cables that came with the kit, or did you use Kevlar thread. I have never had very good luck with the music wire so I thought about using Kevlar. Either way, I have a TT .46 pro with a Macs tuned muffler and a Futaba digital flight pack on the way. It ought to be a great plane if it flies the way you say it does. Thanks again for all the input!