Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 OMP edge or EF edge, which? >

OMP edge or EF edge, which?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP edge or EF edge, which?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OMP edge or EF edge, which?

The Bro's have spoken.. And I will lesson to the advise. Metal gears going on.

Thanks Guys
Old 01-13-2005, 12:55 PM
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Thunderhead

So far I would say that most people are saying the EF Edge ARF is slighty different than the OMP Edge kit as far as the beginner 3D pilot is conserned. Eh?
But for the more advanced 3D pilot the EF is a rock solid performer. Would anyone agree?
Just asking, I dont wanna get flamed.
That was the original topic.
Thunderhead, I would go with the OMP Edge if you are a 3D novice. Save the EF Edge for when you've learned a little. Kind of like the difference between learning to fly with a trainer or a P-51 Mustang. No offense meant to the OMP Edge, but it is more stable to learn on than the EF Edge. The EF Edge is a 3D monster though!
Old 01-13-2005, 01:29 PM

Razor,
I agree to that comparison of trainer to P-51. I've heard that saying many times. And how true it is.
I've taken all the advice given to me in this thread. I should have a Katana ARF in the next day or so. I have already started on the OMP Edge kit. I know originally this thread started as me wanting either the EF ARF or OMP Edge. But I read so much about the Katana, I had to have both.
As far as the EF Edge, I'll wait until I hear (or see a thread) like this one, that compares/contrasts the EF Edge ARF to the OMP Edge ARF.
That would make a good thread dont y'all think? I'll be back in the same boat again in the near future deciding between the two. It sounds like they will both be in stock and shipping about the same time.
I'm not much of a builder (I'd rather fly) so ARF's suit me nice. The build on the OMP Edge is going relatively quick so I may be able to fly both the Kat and the Edge in the same day. (or real close) Then get my own opinion.
Thanks everyone!
Old 01-15-2005, 08:41 PM

Derik, Mine showed up on friday, I got started somewhat.. looked through everything and printed the manual out. Pretty cool with the CD, but you can print it. I went fying most of the day so I'll have to start building Sunday night. I'm going back out again in the morning. It's been raining here for the last 2-3 weeks so I was ready.

Keep ya posted on the build. How's your coming ??
Old 01-17-2005, 08:15 PM

A few OMP Edge 540 P Pic's. Coming along nicely. Funny how a guy will find 200 lbs when he needs to. If I stay on it I mite have it done by next Sunday for it's maiden. Wife & Boss permitting.....
Old 01-19-2005, 10:42 PM

I just ordered my OMP edge 540 47" kit. I can't wait!
I was humming and hawing as to which plane to go with or maybe even just trying to build an idea. Thanks to the comments you fellows made I feel really good about going ahead with this one
Thanks.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:29 PM

I noticed in the pics above that the foam core appears to be white bead foam and not the pink foam like mine was.... Just wondering if it was changed recently.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:43 PM

diggs 74,...It's the pic. The foam is blue.

Good Luck on yours

JWA
Old 01-21-2005, 01:06 PM

Has anybody tried using a vacuum pump to sheet the foam instead of what we've done with all the paint cans and such... I personnally finally found a use for that weight set I have
Old 01-22-2005, 05:00 PM

Well I started the wing at 7am and got this far at 1:30pm. It builds EZ. The wing came out A-O-K. Fine plane to build the OMP. I got the laptop out in the garage with me, the pic's on the CD are way cool to refer to.
I got the C.F. gear for the little guy and PaPa Edge yesterday. The P gear look a little longer than stock, need to cut some.

Well back at it!!!!!. I want to fly this thing BAD..
Old 01-22-2005, 06:18 PM
My Feedback: (15)

1 vote here for the EF edge. I have one (my 3rd plane) and got it after flying only about 2-3months, only now after a year I'm pretty comfortable flying it down on the deck. But I'd say even for a 3d trainer it would be great ( just dont do it too low!) I had my drop to the ground from about 10ft up from a hover, and no damage exept a broken prop, and a single wing rib. All easily fixed. Pretty darn durable for such a light plane. (mine's 4.6lbs with OS .46AX) And as a big plus, this plane is absoulutly a BLAST to fly in the wind.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Thunderhead
Im a novice 3D'er (this is my 2nd go at profile...hehee...dumb thumb).

I havent done much reading on them, but for 125 bucks, it might be worth a shot. Sometimes you cannot build one for less than you can buy an ARF.
Well if I was in your shoes I'd go with a Burrito, it's a great plane and will only take you 2 to 3 days to build. Mine went together so easy it was unreal. I've had arf's that took longer and cost a lot more. And the thing of it was they didn't fly as good!!

I'm running a cheap XL.46 with a webra carb on the Tower muffler and it's more power than you need. Of course that not saying that it's all I want (insert Tim Allen grunt here).

Just my few cents...
Old 01-23-2005, 04:04 PM

As far as contruction go's on the OMP 540, the hardest thing so far has been getting the wing inside the fuse. The wing is lite and fragile, so installing it through the fuse and keeping a tight fit is a real *%#@$. I got it... and a few blonde hairs to spare.

By the way....... it's not that easy to type and work the mouse pad on a Laptop when your finger tips are coated with CA.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:44 PM

You wouldn't have that problem with the Burrito the fuse is in two pieces. you just stick the bottom on let it dry and turn it over and stick the top on. Its simple and a clean job.