Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

3'' Tires On Sig SE???

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

3'' Tires On Sig SE???

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 02:18 AM
Crash Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3'' Tires On Sig SE???

I am in the process of putting the finishing touches to my Sig SE. The plans call for 2.75" tires. I fly off of grass and was wondering if anyone put 3" tires on it instead? Or should I just stay with the 2.75" and hope the wheel pants clear the grass?

Thanks,
Crash Master
Old 09-15-2002, 02:36 AM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

I put 3.25" on my Smith Mini plane it called for 2.5" It works great from the grass. Do it will work fine. Oh your wheel pants might not fit if you had them. Mine don't but it handles so much better I don't care. KCFB
Old 09-15-2002, 10:52 AM
John B
My Feedback: (1)

I flew mine off the grass with a bb40 on it still did great!!! not nessecary unless its a pretty rough runway. It will give you more prop ground clearance though.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:23 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

I took of my wheel pants. I fly w/ 4" wheels. I am swinging 13 and sometimes 14" props w/ my YS 63 on my SE.

My field is pretty smooth, in the main landing area. But it I sometimes screw up a landing w/ a 14" prop I will break it.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:03 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 3" wheels in my SE and they work great! I did have to mount the pants a little higher to clear the tire, but that was no big deal. If you haven't already got taller gear from TNT then I highly recommend that you do. A SE really flies well with a 12" or longer prop. Depending upon engine of course!
Old 09-17-2002, 01:20 AM
Unstable

i fly off grass with the stock sized wheels.

before I removed the wheel pants i had no problems with the grass but removed them when i had to bend the landing gear back after a "pancake" landing

I have the foam style wheels which seem to do better off grass then the rubber kind so that might be something to look at too.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:52 PM
Crash Master

Well I went ahead and put the 3" foam wheels, after raising the pants) on this puppy. And its interesting that it flies well with just a 40 on it. Originally I was going to put a Royal 46 that I am breaking in on another bird. Then I thought I would just keep the 46 where it is and put an ASP 61 4-stroke on it. Then I thought maybe I'd hand a GMS 47 on it.

Now I'm not sure what to hang on it. I got a Magnum 40XL laying around looking real bored. Maybe I should hand that, but I would like enough power to have some nice zip to it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Crash Master
Old 09-17-2002, 03:46 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GMS 47 would be nice, but for raw thrust the Irvine 53 with a 12.25X3.75 prop really cannot be beat...