Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Cap 232 Profile ARF "Subaru Style"

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Cap 232 Profile ARF "Subaru Style"

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:55 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cap 232 Profile ARF

I built one about 2 years ago. Saito 82 and 15x4MA. Made a lot of noise! Didn't really fly it much untill last couple weeks. Put on a 14x6APC. Now we're talking! First slab, first attempt at 3-D. Having fun flopping it around. May have it set up a touch tail heavy as it pulls to the gear a little in knife edge. Landing gear is easy to tweek, easy to bend back. Used a .40 Sullivan tailwheel. Making progress with hovering. Flat spin isn't too flat, as I keep moving aileron stick for flat spin it will go into a wild looking 1/2knife edge spin and 1/2 end over end tumbling- no idea if it has a name. Need more tick time!!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you noticed any weakness in the elevator joiner? Guys on the BF3D thread mention it could be stronger. Also, what kind of covering film is that? Definitely low temp. Mine doesn't have the Subaru lettering, would like to be able to add at least my AMA #'s also for patching. I appreciate any thoughts. Putting one together right now and sometimes having the insight and knowledge of others who have had experience with this plane before me helps with my assembly. I've never had anything remotely related to a 3D plane and just decided to get this for fun. Not even sure if I even want to fly any kind of 3D. But they look like fun. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:17 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

I haven't noticed or seen anything unusuall about the elevator joiner. It looks prety substantial to me, but I'm new to the 3-D thing also. The covering had quite a few wrinkles. Able to get most of them out, but it only seemed to shrink so much which wasn't that much at all. This thing does fly incredibly slow.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Tom Nied

Well from what I've read, speed can kill these things. They're meant to be flown slow. I know a guy at the field who flies a profile like a fast sport plane and there are times the whole rear end is fluttering. Mine doesn't have too many wrinkles, maybe I got lucky. Wish I had known about the low temp covering when I went after the few I had. High temperature can make it even worse. Fortunately I caught myself before really screwing the covering up. Otherwise it looks good.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:36 AM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Tom, the BF3D has a very weak elevator leading edge and should be repaired before assembly IMHO, but the CAP's I've seen appeared to be from a different Mfg. and were pretty strong. At our field there hasn't been any failures I know of. After a season of 3D flying expect some repairs from dumb thumbing it, and the covering/trim will most likely start to come loose somewhere. Other than that fly the crap out of it and have a ball, we know you will! There's a few youtube videos of some nice low hovering with your CAP if you want to check it out. DG
Old 10-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Tom Nied

OK, then I glue the horizontal stab in as is today. The assembly continues.