Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Please Diagnose my Flat Spin Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Please Diagnose my Flat Spin Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 01:54 PM
COLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Diagnose my Flat Spin Problem

Got my Magic together last weekend and have been having a ball wringing it out; however, it has some unusual traits when attempting a flat spin.

I can get the model to flatten out nicely, but it drops vertically like a rock almost like an elevator, and the plane doesn't spin very fast (2 rotations/100' of altitude) despite WOT. My CG is at 4.75". My throws are maxed.

I thought I might have too much throw causing too much drag?

Another but related problem is that sometimes when I start creeping over with the opposite aileron, the model will snap back 180 deg, pancake out and just mush out into a cockeyed elevator.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Michael
Old 09-20-2002, 02:11 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

I have a Magic and it has the same traits. I can really get it spinning fast (about 3 rotations per second) with the aileron and elevator both to the right and WOT but when I try and slide the aileron over to the left the spinning slows and eventually it pops out of the spin. The really fast spin is cool and kind of flat and it does descend pretty slowly. You could almost mistake it for a flatspin if you never saw one before. But it's not flat

I have other planes that I can flatspin no problem upright and inverted but not my Magic. The CG is at 5" back and I have about 45 degrees of throw.

Another guy at my field has a magic and he can't get it to flatten out either. All the other types of spins are great.

You are not alone

George
Old 09-20-2002, 02:28 PM
latch66

Curious,

My Magic Flat Spins well, both inverted and upright. Mine is tail heavy, but I have no clue as to where it's CG is located right now. Too many changes since that was setup. My elevator and aileron throws are also a little more than standard high rates.

Using a OS46FX with a 12.25 x 3.75 APC prop.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:45 PM
djlyon

sounds to me like you are using too much rudder. Sometimes this will just stall the rudder and slow the rotation or even sometimes cause rotation in the oposite direction. Try using less rudder and aileron deflection
Old 09-20-2002, 03:55 PM
mouraneto

I accidentally got mine to do a perfect flat spin, well, at least it does look like one. What I do to enter it is, with the nose straight up and about half throttle, go all the way left rudder and left aileron. Once it is spinning, add down elevator hollding everything to the left. Slowly star moving the aileron to the right and it will flatten out, spinning very fast and loosing very little altitude. If you add power the spinning will slow down and it eventually will come out of the flat spin.
Try and see if works for you.