Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

OMP GUYS THE POST I DIDNT WANT TO MAKE

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP GUYS THE POST I DIDNT WANT TO MAKE

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 06:02 AM
1fish
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP GUYS THE POST I DIDNT WANT TO MAKE

Hey guys, mike and stl.
I got my omp yak 54 by the ups guy yesterday the girl at the ordering desk was very nice and got it out right away.
It was boxed very well and the outside of box showed no damage, but when I got the plane out I noticed problems, I was able to fix them but want to let you know for future reference and quality controll.

1) the port side wing end was cracked and soft , I removed some of the covering and repaired it, it had to be sent from the factory that way like I said the box was perfect.

2) two of the little tabs that hold down the hatch in the bottom of wing were broken off, upon further inspection I noticed the wood had been snapped off on both ends not cut with a knife then glued down, but on both hatches they little piece of wood was broken off.

3) the hinges werent precut, ive built 25 arfs and never have i seen one where the hinges werent precut many are even installed now
this is not a very big deal but kind of a pain as i expect to do this on a kit but not on a arf ...

4) the trailing edge of the wing had very little bevel to it kind of rounded but not a sharp angle that is desirable to achieve maximum prescision in deflection, and surface controll..

5) There werent enough hinges to do the hinging and I had to run to hobby shop to get more the instructions said five per aileron, four for rudder and three per elevator half thats 20 there were 12 in the box....

6) You advertise carbonfiber controll horns and I got grey plastic in the picture of the hardware is also a tail wheel my model came with a skid .

7) there was only one zip tie for the fuel tank hold down

In closing I want to say I am dissapointed , I have purchased a few planes from you, the katana was very easy to put together and pretty well built, the 79" Yak 54 kit I have is very well designed the instructions are super clear and well thought out, quality of materials excellent, I hope once I get through the little inconvienances with tie plane it flys great, I love the huge controll surfaces the rudder is gigantic for a 40 sized plane its light and looks pretty good, I like the covering I didnt think I would but in person its pretty cool...
Thats enough whining for one day , sorry but im a little bummed, I should be able to give a flight report on sunday....Looking forward to her maiden flight will be using my ys 63 and jr digital servos all around...
Old 07-11-2005, 07:14 AM
AFSalmon

Default RE: OMP GUYS THE POST I DIDNT WANT TO MAKE

1Fish,

Thank you for your feedback. It is possible for damage to occur even though there may be no signs on the outside of the box. Shippers can be very rough and it does not take much to compress a wing panel. As far as the hatches I have no explanation for that but do apologize for your inconvenience. We are collecting all of the customer feedback and passing that to the factory for future reference. We are going to be working directly with the factory from now on ourselfs so quality control will be much better. I noticed the picture of the hardware you showed is for one of the giant profiles but your description of the arf is for the 47" Yak. I think there is some confusion here as the two are very different. The bigger profiles come with carbon horns and tailwheel, etc. but not the small profiles. We did include a separate hardware package in the arf different from the one China included. The Tetherite gear, 20 quality CA hinges, 12" 2-56 pushrod for throttle, and hardwood dowels for the optional nose mounted throttle servo are all wrapped up in the paper. Don't use or count the ca hinges in the other package and make sure you opened the other paper bundle in the box! We expected the surfaces to be prehinged and were also dissapointed not to see this. Another reason we will be working directly through the factory ourselves from now on. A sharp hobby knife or hing slotter does make quick work though. All future arfs will have prehinged surfaces however! Please keep us posted on your flight report. I'm sure given a YS 63 and digital servos, it will be quite impressive.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Bob101

Mine arrived the same exact way. Same wing tip was crushed even tho the box in was perfect shape. Odd that it's the same exact wing tip. Crushed is not really the right word - it looks as if something was pushed into the end wing rib causing it to collapse. There were tons of scratches, globs of glue, and holes in the covering. It was worse than the kit built planes you see show up at your field in father/son team efforts for their first plane.

I have to say this was probably the worst appearing plane I've ever seen brand new. Mine or someone else's and that includes brands notorious for bad quality. I mean - let's be honest. This plane cost as much as other "premium" profiles and I wouldn't have expected this low of quality in a $79 plane. Considering I paid the exact same price for my EF Edge this wasn't even a contest.

The killer was the engine mount, being installed upside down/backwards making for a left engine mount/left thrust. Sending mine back, just waiting for the pickup - last I heard from Dion was they were going to pick it up - that was June 30. The only reason I bothered to look at the engine mount was from post on another forum several others mentioned it so I thought I should look - glad I did because the engine mounting would have been the last thing I did to balance the plane.

The real kicker for me was the post I put in the OMP support area about the engine mount, I got a PM from Dion and the post was deleted.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:30 PM
jaybo292

Just got my Yak ARF.Wing tip also pushed in.Not to bad.Can repair.Overall quality,Not good at all.Would not buy anotherm one.My $79.00 World Models Sky Raider Mach I was much nicer.Sorry.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:13 AM
blue ice
My Feedback: (6)

Listen to this. I rec my Yak and it had broken ribs in the wing and crushed ailerons and covering was very bad. I called OMP right away(this was on Friday). John was on his way to a fly in and didnt have enough time to take my contact info. Just said email it to him and he would get back to me Sunday night. Well I must have sent contact info to wrong person cause on Monday someone contacted me saying they would forward my message to the proper person. Meanwhile I posted to another thread on how John didnt have time for me. 3 weeks later I finally got to talk to John and he said " You are the SOB I have been waiting to talk to. If I could get my hands on you I would wring your neck." After listening to him spout off I said send a call tag and he said he would have, but because of my bad mouthing OMP, I would have to pay to ship it back. The plane went back today. I will never buy another POS from OMP no matter if it was the best flying plane in the world. It just makes you mad to have high expectations then you rec a piece of junk
Old 07-12-2005, 01:12 AM
Bob101

Edited
Old 07-12-2005, 06:26 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: blue ice
After listening to him spout off I said send a call tag and he said he would have, but because of my bad mouthing OMP, I would have to pay to ship it back. The plane went back today. I will never buy another POS from OMP no matter if it was the best flying plane in the world.
And I thought I was the only one who got shafted by OMP and then verbally assaulted for daring to relate my experiences to others. Welcome to the "I used to be an OMP customer" club :-)
Old 07-12-2005, 06:55 AM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

[quote]ORIGINAL: blue ice

3 weeks later I finally got to talk to John and he said " You are the SOB I have been waiting to talk to. If I could get my hands on you I would wring your neck." After listening to him spout off I said send a call tag and he said he would have, but because of my bad mouthing OMP, I would have to pay to ship it back.[quote]

Thats a great way to retain customers.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:25 AM
AFSalmon

Blue Ice, yes you did call John and he was literally sitting in his car when his daughter gave hime the phone late on Friday afternoon. Some of us still go flying and to shows on the weekends - is that wrong? He asked you to send your info via an email, he would get back to you first thing Monday, and you replied yes you would. Then you turn right around and immediately flame the heck out of him and OMP on the forums. That's not cool dude and just because OMP went flying over the weekend and did not handle your case on a Sat or Sun you get upset. Still not cool. There is always two sides to every story and you are really good at telling one side.

We will stand behind our products and anyone with problems can contact us to discuss and we will do our best to resolve. We did not expect the quality issues we've seen on some of these ARFs and we've learned our lesson on who to deal with and who not to deal with factory wise. Also we are now thouroughly inspecting all the ARFs regarding the customer feedback we've received and discarding any ones with issues. Again, we can not control shipping damage and it is a fact of life that shipping damage does occur. For the most part we've shipped 100's of ARFs with pretty good odds. You don't hear about those though.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:52 AM
KennyH

Well I guess we all have our own opinions about all R/C dealers, but I regard my experience with OMP as very positive.

I purchased the 79" Yak kit and began building it. I built the wings first and then the fuselage. I used up all of the cardboard wingtube sleeve inside of the wings and didn't have any left to use on the fuselage. I emailed OMP and asked them if it was possible for me to get anymore of the wingtube sleeve and how much it would cost me. The reply I got back was " How much do you need?" I told them I needed about 2 to 3 inches, just enough to go through the fuselage.

Two days later I get a package in the mail from OMP with 2 pieces of 3 inch wingtube sleeve. They sent this package out at the own expense and didn't even charge me anything for the parts.

This is what I call customer service. I was and still am very pleased with OMP. It seems like everyone expects their demands to be met on their own timetable without regard to the other person on the other end of the line. I used email for my method of contact and was very pleased on how quickly I was responded to. Just my 2 cents worth.

By the way, the 79" Yak is awesome. It flies very well and makes me look so much better at 3D. I love the plane.

Kenny H
Old 07-12-2005, 09:53 AM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

I think there is just too much uncertainty of mail-ordering an ARF. I would buy a new engine over internet, but a light-weight 3D ARF that's easily damaged through shipping, I'd rather paid a few extra $ at the local store, or on-site during trade shows.

So, OMP, is there any chance that we'll see your product in local stores?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:16 AM
AFSalmon

Yes and I'm glad you asked. We are starting down a whole new roadmap of getting our products into hobby stores. Much to do and I'll admit quality issues have to be reduced before we'll make huge investments but it's going to happen. We are committed to bringing out quality products and are going to be working directly with the factories from now on in a much better relationship. The 90 size Fusion F3D will be the next plane coming out in ARF format and this will be done from the ground up with the new factory. More on that over the next several months.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Bob101

Nm
Old 07-13-2005, 03:58 PM
bigal422
My Feedback: (50)

AFSalmon, I thought that the Katana 70 V2 was the next ARF coming out, and I thought that you had posted that the Fusion F3D would be coming out as a kit first. BTW to all out there complaning about the quality. I recieved a yak that was not up to my quality standards. The plane had several problems. It only took a day or two for them to get in touch with me. They sent me a new plane out and I recieved it within 10 days from the first time I talked to Mike , Dion, and finally John. I was expecting much better quality from OMP, but it wasn't that bad. All the guys at OMP have posted that they know that they have some problems with these planes and that they are trying to resolve them. I'm sure they are doing there best. I am planning to purchase from them agian when the New Kat 70 V2 or the Fusion comes out.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:13 AM
AFSalmon

BigAl,

Yes you are correct. Should have been more clear. The Katana 70 V2 is pretty much alrady in production and will be the next arf we offer. What I meant to say is the Fusion F3D is the next plane I am planning to get arfed. But the kits are going to be ready in maybe 3-4 weeks. Long pole now is getting all the supplies as I'm pretty happy with the fianl details and design tweaks I've made.

Thanks BigAl for your support too! It's really easy for folks to complain but I really appreciate those that praise as well. Yes there have been some problems with some of the arfs and we have learned a lot of lessons about arfing like most in this business. Wait til you see the quality of the Katana 70 V2! I think it's going to be the best thing going.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:16 PM
bigal422
My Feedback: (50)

I look forward to getting one. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:51 PM
marzo91
My Feedback: (57)

My experience with OMP has been very positive. I ordered a 79" Yak on a Tuesday and got it on Thursday. That's fast! Mine also had a damaged wing tip. I called and talked to John. He explained how they repack all the planes to reduce damage in shipment. He fixed me up on the wing deal and spent about twenty minutes answering all my questions about my engine combo and set-up. He also gave me tips and info on upcoming planes. Otherwise the plane is perfect. I hope I can handle the Mark 2.10 and pipe. I know after I get this flying there will be several more at our field, and this won't be my only OMP profile plane.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:22 PM
1fish

Wow should have checkd back sooner lol.
I in no way ment this to turn into a flame fest I am just working with omp to get the few lil bugs worked out that come with any new product, Mike I found the hinges, they werent missing just well hidden, in the landing grear package. Unfortunatly I used the other supplied ones, I would suggest a lil note in the box telling people where they are as landing gear goes on after the hinging procedure.
The mounting surface for the inside servo mount to control the throttle was on wrong side of fuse, no big I wasnt going to use it anyway, the plane is together and ready to fly it looks great and is very light I got huge throws from all surfaces. Ill write a flight review after this weekend and hopefully include some vidieo.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:41 PM
emnm79
My Feedback: (5)

my omp yak had a crushed wingtip also but omp refunded some money to fix it, so all is well, the plane flies great, so I don't care

oh.. blueice, I remember when this happened... you were very impatient and immaturely flamed them for not helping you on their weekend, serves you right. I too had issues over the weekend, all it took was a few extra days and some patience and all is well. You are missing out one one awesome plane, and again, it serves you right.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:09 AM
AFSalmon

No problem guys, I think we've helped everyone so far as best we can. Last night I took a look through some more arfs and they all looked good except for quite a few had the throttle servo mount on the wrong side inside the wing. Seems some factory workers can't keep their left from their right! The structure is built correctly but the ply mount is just glued onto the left hand rib versus the right hand rib inside the hatch opening. Most people opt for the throttle servo mounting up in the nose using the dowel method anyway so this does not matter. For anyone wanting to mount the servo in the wing center, all that is needed is two pieces of 1/8 lite-ply 1/2" x 1" glued to the rib under where the servo mounts. A 5 minute job. I think future planes will only have the throttle servo mounted in the nose from now on.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:10 AM
OMPEdgeFlyer

I know this thread is old, but after reading it I felt like giving my buck two eighty as well.

ALMOST 3 years ago, I went into one of the local Hobby Shop's(name escapes me now, but its the one just north of WPAFB) to look for my first 3D plane. I was actually after the Majic Extra, or the plain majic. I noticed a box on the floor and it was a kit for the OMP Edge 540. I asked the guy there a few questions and he said that if it wasnt the time or looks(alot of ppl like a fuse to hide everything vs a profile) that there was NO comparison and to get the OMP plane. He even gave me the number to OMP(they are just a few miles away from me) so I called then after I got the plane. I cant remember who I talked to at that time, but not only did I get a good 30 minutes of talk time in to answer a ton of questions that I had about 3D since I had never flown a 3D plane, I was also invited to go to the field they fly at and watch, and even fly one, if I wanted. I didnt take the offer, didnt feel I needed to since OMP had that much confidence. I got the plane finished in no time, and to this day it is one of the easiest builds I ever had. I also had a few issues with some of the wood which was taken care of asap(I went to the shop to pick up what I needed, told the LHS guy who I was and what it was for and I was back out the door with no additional cost, they let me pick the wood I wanted and I wasnt charged!!!) After finishing the plane I took it to the local field where many had Sig fazers and Somethin Extras, Majics and Majic extras and even some nice bigger scale Caps and Giles. The OMP made me look like I had been doing this a good while. I did flat spins, waterfalls, harriers, and even a bit of hovering on my first flight. EVERYONE asked to fly it and it got 8 flights that day. throughout the 2 weeks from buy to fly, I called OMP and talked several times. They always took the time to talk to me, and offered any and all help they could give me. When I joined this site, which took me all of 12 seconds once I found it, I wanted to make a stand with something I believed in in this hobby, so I picked this name and went right to the 3D secion. I wanted everyone to ask what the OMPedge was and since it was a local guy to me I wanted to help spread the word of his gret plane. I was glad to see that many people already knew of it and there where several threads on the plane already. I will soon be ordering yet another OMP plane and I know it will be as good as the rest, or they will fix it, end of story.

I would like to make 2 suggestions here.

1. RELAX, and give it some time to happen, they, like YOU, are human!

2. GET an OMP and fly it, if you havent done so yet, YOU are the one missing out, not OMP. They will get theirs, believe me.

Old 08-12-2005, 06:59 AM
AFSalmon

Hey, that offer stills stands to come fly with us at the Air Force Museum anytime.