Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Bad Boy V2 Build!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 03:20 AM
Precision Aerobatics

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bad Boy V2 Build!

ORIGINAL: Bolt_locker

I think that my post was misinterpreted. I was not and am not bashing the plane, or its quality or its design. The plane IS NOT A DISASTER. I know, I for one, was trying to point out a few small things that could be addressed. I am far from frustrated with the plane or the build process. Actually on the contrary. This is and has been one of the simplest, fastest builds that I have done to date. (I currently have 18 planes in my hanger and another 8 of my wifes planes. Some kits, some arf's and some scratch from my designs) Like most of you, I have been following these threads since February or so... I too have watched the videos. I am reasonably confident in the performance of the plane. My comment about being embarrassed was much more to poke fun as it was a serious comment. If I have offended anyone or appear to be whining about issues similar to what you folks have been experiencing, I apologize.

No worries Bolt

I didnt think that you are.

It is just that today I know it is impossible to setisfy all.
Even if I will provide a gold plated plane free of charge with all the goodies there will be some guys that will complain about it.
They will find something to complain.

No body said our planes are perfect BUT our attitude will definately get us there. We pay attension to tiny details most company ignore and many flyers dont even look for, and our standards are very high so if somebody will say the quality is poor I will absolutly ignore him, however I am open to suggestions and even if nobody will say nothing about our planes we will still work hard to test more and more and we will find something to improve. Dont forget one thing through, the forum as beautiful as it is now and it is fun to read it is a drop in the sea. Many of our customers are not in the forum. So sometime one unsetisfied customer that looks like majority on the forum is in matter of fact a tiny manority.

I did note my self the comments about the glued strings and few more things and have no doubts I will take care of those to improve the plane.

In the design of the complex fuselage of the BB I could get more room for the extensions without damaging other elements so I tested my self maybe 30 times feeding the extension through. To say it is super easy 2 second job - no, but it is no big deal at all and remember, you do it one time. To do them both together as the connectors arranged one after the other is excellent idea as well, might be even easier, just keep the connectors flat as possible.

And again the BB even as very easy plane to fly if you want to get the joice out of it you MUST learn the plane. Some think they can crack any plane on first flight, well I didn't and I designed the plane. I have 20 years of experiance I a full size pilot, full time desiner and still took me a time to learn the plane and get not even 60 % from what it's capable of. I'm still after the ultimate pilot to help out with that, so just take your time and I hope you will enjoy the plane.

If anybody have difficulties probs or need assistance you have me and William as good service and you can email either one of us directly

best regards

Shaun

Precision Aerobatics Team
Old 08-09-2005, 03:55 PM
65 Chevy
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Guys,
Has anyone gotten to balancing your planes yet? Here is my setup
Os 50 Sx MAS 12 X 6 Prop all the way aft in the mount 6 mm between Fuse front and prop backing plate
Tower Hobbies Muffler
JR 811 Digitals on elevator, Rudder and both Ailerons
Hitec Hs-81 on Throttle.
Energizer 2500maH 6 volt pack ... All the way aft in left wing
JR R770 receiver just behind c of g at 142 mm
Jr Switch harness and charge jack just above cg on top of wing.
1 1/4 ounces of weight directly below the rear servo mounting screws

Here is where I am getting a bit foggy. I am using a Great Planes CG Machine to balance. Again for the record at 142 mm. I am having trouble getting a nice rock steady balance. I think I am really close to the right proportions and weights. But sometimes the plane rocks forward like its nose heavy, sometimes falls toward the tail. I have tried right side up and upside down with similar results. If I move the 1 1/4 ounce weight forward up to 1/2!QUOT! I get the same sort of results. If I take it off, I am clearly nose heavy.

Any help or suggestions out there? Anyone with a similar set up getting a really steady balance?
I just want to be sure that I have this set before I final mount the engine receiver and battery pack.

Thanks for your help
Old 08-09-2005, 04:40 PM
sport10

I have had similar experiences using the CG machine on short coupled planes like these funflys before. It just takes a delicate hand and a little patience. You might want to consider using a APC 12x4 on that 50SX instead for 3D style work.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:42 PM
65 Chevy

Is there a better way to balance the plane than using the CG machine?
Old 08-09-2005, 04:51 PM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

Is there a better way to balance the plane than using the CG machine?

I just always use my fingers.....its much easier to dampen the swinging affect out. Plus its plenty good for all practical purposes.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:05 PM
NovaXact

Bolt Locker, Why would you add weight to a lightly loaded model already. The goal is to keep it as light as possible. Bolt the engine in as far back as possible to give enough prop clearance, then it's in. Not much you can do about that, the engine has to go in. The Rx will have very little effect on co f g just put it in the wing around the c of g and move the battery around to get the c of g you like. If it is on the black line that's fine just fly it and slowly move the c of g back. It flies fine with a slightly forward c of g and actually is easier to land, only for hovering and wild aerobatics do you need it back further, mine is now set at 50% MAC and it will hover for the whole tank. I just fitted a flat battery pack a slid it up against the TLE of the wing. The last thing you want to do is add weight.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:25 PM
65 Chevy

My Point was that I have everything already moved all the way rearward that I can move and the plane is still comming out nose heavy. That is why i am adding weight. I dont want to add weight, but I can seem to get it to balance at or near 142mm without the weight. This is why I spelled out everything I have in the plane, where it was and explained the problem I am experiencing.

If the plane were not coming out nose heavy with the OS 50sx on it, I would not have added weight. The weight is not perminantly attcached yetand I was hoping for some suggestions. Feedback from others that are in the build process and addressing the same issues with better methods, processes and outcomes are the people that I was asking. Maybe you could address the issue and not address or lecture on the painfully obvious.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:19 PM
NovaXact

Sorry but you asked for advice, I have the stock setup with a HS 81mg for throttle and and OS 70FL Fourstroke which weighs 16.5 oz and you 50 fx weighs 13.7oz so it should be fine. just fly it because you will need to adjust the c of g to you liking anyway.
Yes, as per my previous post I have just finished my Bad boy and I happy with it. It has problems but a builder can get through it all without a problem and get the best out of this aircraft. It has taken 17 flights but I am now happy with it. Hope you enjoy yours.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:17 PM
novabill

First of all, if you balabce it on the black line, you'll be nose heavy like an elephant!! Novadude, your plane doesn't fly KE because you are out of balance. Noone except for shaun has flown this plane as much as I have, so I consider myself an authority on the BB. Boltlocker.... Throw away the CG machine. Place your fingers on the screws that hold the servo arms on the plane and balance there. If the tail drops slightly, you'll be ok. This is a starting point and not the final CG. When you get comfy with the plane, flip her inverted and see what she does. She'll veer down slightly. Pull your CG back until you are happy with thr way it KEs and hovers. This is a funfly plane and everyone is taking it too serious.

I assembled a Bad Boy tonight and let me tell you what I found........

#1 I went through 6 kits to find one that had more than 2MM gap in the wings. I wanted to use one that was really bad. In five minutes, I had less than 1MM gap in the wings. Here is what I did. #1 I opened up the hole in the fuse that the wing tube passes through. Not much though, just a little grinding with a dremel to loosten the tube. #2 I shortened the wing tube by 1/16". The gap went from 5MM to no gap on the left side and 1MM gap on the right. This is totally acceptible and hardly noticible. The fit is better than the C3D YS .63 powered test mule that has been in the air since April. I have beat on this plane for months and had no failures!!!

The stab does fits a little lose, but that isnot a problem. Look for the build I did in the origonal BB V-2 thread. I described exactly how to mount the elevator. When it is epoxied in, all you need to do is run a beed of epoxy through the gap. The joint will not fail!!!!!!!!! These planes take 4-5 hours to get in the air!!!

Let's not forget they are fun-fly airplanes. They cost $160 and have more CF than a Stealth bomber!!!!! What a deal. Put the damn planes in the air and have fun with them. You don't need the state of the art servos or new funfangled motor. Slap what you have on it and fly it like you stole it!!!!!

ROCK ON MY BROTHAS
Old 08-09-2005, 09:19 PM
novabill

DOUBLE POST
Old 08-09-2005, 09:44 PM
dhooks

AUW looks to be right at 4.5 lbs which is great for 800 sq of wing.

Mine has a magnum .52 with 425 servos an a 6V 700 pack.

That nice looking prop is one of PAs 13x4 that I got as well.

That .52 had been swinging a 12x5 very happily so hopefully it will like this one too.

I had the .52 on a 5 lb topcap an it did well on there so .5 lb off on this one should help it out a lot.

Balance is about 5.5 inches from the LE with the battery an reciever in the TE of the wing....Im happy with that! No clue what that would be in MM but it should be about perfect for this plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22862.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	308153   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42836.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	308154  
Old 08-09-2005, 11:01 PM
novabill

ORIGINAL: dhooks

AUW looks to be right at 4.5 lbs which is great for 800 sq of wing.

Mine has a magnum .52 with 425 servos an a 6V 700 pack.

That nice looking prop is one of PAs 13x4 that I got as well.

That .52 had been swinging a 12x5 very happily so hopefully it will like this one too.

I had the .52 on a 5 lb topcap an it did well on there so .5 lb off on this one should help it out a lot.

Balance is about 5.5 inches from the LE with the battery an reciever in the TE of the wing....Im happy with that! No clue what that would be in MM but it should be about perfect for this plane.
Geeze, look at the throws on that thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 02:24 AM
awat65
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello everybody, I am the guy who is hovering the BB in the video on the P.A site. I am using Hitec servos all around "HS6635HB" and HS 85 on throttle. Some people seem to be having trouble threading the servo leads through the fuse. If your strings are glued and you can not free them, use a stiff piece of wire to thread the extentions. I accidently pulled the string out of the fuse and I used a stiff wire to feed the leads and it worked great. I had a gap on my fuse as some others have, but when I tighted up the bolts for the wings the gap closed. The gap was only about 1mm and tighting the bolts closed that. For power, I used a OS 46AX. The motor had more than enough power. On the maiden flight, I did not add any trim what so ever. The C.G. was set on the recommended range. I rolled inverted and a little pressure on the stick was needed to maintain level flight. I began to do loops, rolls, stall turns and feel the plane out. The next flight I kicked it up a notch. Waterfalls, pinwheels and knife edge. Knife edge had very little coupling and I did not bother to mix it out, but when Jason shulman flew the plane he mixed it out. If I recall it was 2-3%. This plane will make you look good. You will find yourself flying closer to the ground. Most of the time eye level or lower. Harriers will take a little finesse. Very little elevator is need. Hovering is almost effortless as you can see I am walking around with the plane. If anybody has any questions on my set up please feel free to ask me.
Regards,

Tony Watkins
Old 08-10-2005, 06:02 AM
65 Chevy

Hello again Novabill,
Thanks again for bailing me out with the balancing issue. I will try that today. I know what you mean about nose heavy like an elephant. That is what I was experiencing. This should fix it though. For the record, I did do some work on the wings and also got the gap down. Now, you can only slip a business card into the very slight gap. It is very acceptable now.

I know this is a funfly plane and not some mega dollar pattern ship and I know I'll have fun with it. I can only speak for myself here. The reason I have gotten so wrapped up the the detail of this build is because this plane flys so good in the videos and all the talk about how great the design is makes me want to make sure it is built the best it can be. I have had disappointing results with birds from other manufacturers. Mainly I suppose because I bought into the hype. But, I just want to be sure that I can get the most from the plane as I learn it. I don't want there to be a flight problem because I don't have the set-up right, or I'm not using the best this or that part.

I am still very impressed with this plane. Quality is very good. and if you compare it with the Big ARF Manufactures our there this plane is OUTSTANDING on the bench. The few areas in which I had problems, (Not a problem with the plane or its design) were just that, MY PROBLEMS. If I was seen as complaining about the plane, I apologize. I was mainly looking for a little assistance from the other guys that were in the building process. As i said, I just didn't want to have a problem with this plane in the air because of something that I did in assembly.

Thanks again for your help Bill, you have been nothing but great in holding my hand through this.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:55 AM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Tony, I have a setup question. How much, if any, expo did you use, and on what surfaces? Also, I too will be using the 46AX for power with the PA 12x4 prop. Any light to shed in that area would be appreciated as well. Thanks
Old 08-10-2005, 08:28 AM
dhooks

ORIGINAL: Primodus

Tony, I have a setup question. How much, if any, expo did you use, and on what surfaces? Also, I too will be using the 46AX for power with the PA 12x4 prop. Any light to shed in that area would be appreciated as well. Thanks

Im not Tony but..........Expo is largely personal taste. I dont run much on my rudder a good bit on my ailerons an somewhere in between on the elevator. I dont even know what the % is I just adust till it feels right.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:43 AM
novabill

Hello again Novabill,
Thanks again for bailing me out with the balancing issue. I will try that today. I know what you mean about nose heavy like an elephant. That is what I was experiencing. This should fix it though. For the record, I did do some work on the wings and also got the gap down. Now, you can only slip a business card into the very slight gap. It is very acceptable now.

I know this is a funfly plane and not some mega dollar pattern ship and I know I'll have fun with it. I can only speak for myself here. The reason I have gotten so wrapped up the the detail of this build is because this plane flys so good in the videos and all the talk about how great the design is makes me want to make sure it is built the best it can be. I have had disappointing results with birds from other manufacturers. Mainly I suppose because I bought into the hype. But, I just want to be sure that I can get the most from the plane as I learn it. I don't want there to be a flight problem because I don't have the set-up right, or I'm not using the best this or that part.

I am still very impressed with this plane. Quality is very good. and if you compare it with the Big ARF Manufactures our there this plane is OUTSTANDING on the bench. The few areas in which I had problems, (Not a problem with the plane or its design) were just that, MY PROBLEMS. If I was seen as complaining about the plane, I apologize. I was mainly looking for a little assistance from the other guys that were in the building process. As i said, I just didn't want to have a problem with this plane in the air because of something that I did in assembly.

Thanks again for your help Bill, you have been nothing but great in holding my hand through this.
That's what I'm here for
Old 08-10-2005, 09:45 AM
novabill

ORIGINAL: dhooks

ORIGINAL: Primodus

Im not Tony but..........Expo is largely personal taste. I dont run much on my rudder a good bit on my ailerons an somewhere in between on the elevator. I dont even know what the % is I just adust till it feels right.

I'm only running it on the rudder and it's only 10% nothing on any other surface
Old 08-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

To this point in my build, I have had no other problems. Nothing that you wouldn't find in any other ARF and the average builder should be able to take care of this with no problem. I choose two mods, a different tail wheel assy just because I've used them on other profiles and I like them and I used four hinges on the rudder instead of two. I did notice one thing once I put the plane all together. With the ailerons lined up with the outboard section of the wing and standing behind the plane, one aileron is way lower than the other. I will just equal them out and it should be ok. must be something warped somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74787.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	308373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78198.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	308374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75352.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	308375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21663.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	308376  
Old 08-10-2005, 12:23 PM
awat65
My Feedback: (17)

Expo is dependant on each persons own feel, but for me I use 30% on low rate on the elevator, ailerons and 50% on the rudder. On high rate, I use 60% for ailerons and elevator and 70% on rudder. Most of the time I will pull the elevator stick about an 1/8th of an inch and hold it then switch from high rate elevator to low and watch how far the elevator moves. I am trying to mimic the low rate setting around neutral on the high rate. If I can help anymore, just ask away.

Tony Watkins
Old 08-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Primodus

dhooks, novabill, Tony...Thanks for the info. I was under the impression expo was a constant type setting rather than a personal taste variable. I'll start with about 30% on ele and ail, with 40% on rudder. Add 10% to all for high rates. Only thing is I don't have anyone here to fly with and bounce ideas off of, so you guys get to hear all my "S.O.B." stories.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:44 PM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

It was interesting reading on how the c/a hinges are installed per the instruction manual. I thought it was a no no to add a drop of ca to hold the hinges temp in place ? I would just place a pin thru the hinge center line to hold them. Dont you guys think the elev hinges are rather small ?
Old 08-10-2005, 02:46 PM
novabill

ORIGINAL: sportflyer-RCU

It was interesting reading on how the c/a hinges are installed per the instruction manual. I thought it was a no no to add a drop of ca to hold the hinges temp in place ? I would just place a pin thru the hinge center line to hold them. Dont you guys think the elev hinges are rather small ?

They won't fail, trust me
Old 08-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Primodus

I dunno, do they really have to to be big slabs of material? I did mine with the supplied hinges per the manual and I am very satisfied with the pull strength it has. I was a bit hesitant at first, but I have to digress to Shaun and William who have tested them thoroughly.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:54 PM
65 Chevy

While you guys are talking about the hinges, this is the first time that I have used Epoxy ona CA hinge. Man that worked slick. Epoxy one half of the hing into the slot, then after its hard, Ca the other half after installing the control surface. Worked great and the hinges are very supple and flexible... all surfaces droop with the control link attached. When I've used Ca for both sides before, the hinges would sometimes be a bit stiff. Almost like a pin hinge with a little glue on the pin. This way worked out very well

Thanks again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.