Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

menace

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 02:05 AM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default menace

I was looking for some info on the menage. I have never seen one before. How do they fly. what motors our being used and what radio. Will it hover pretty easily. It the plane 3D capable or is it more a timed loop, roll and land type of a plane. Any info will greatly be appreciated.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:34 AM
ramrod
My Feedback: (43)

Default Menace

Hello ? , the Menace is one of the best overall Fun Fly planes out there ! It is made for sport and timed events but is also a decent 3D plane and just a super FUN sport plane. I have been flying and competing with Marks planes for many yrs and his Menace is very hard to beat ! My son Chris (13) loves his and has a blast doing hovering tail touches and inverted rudder bumps ! It will also do awesome flat spins down to a landing and go again ! I HIGHLY recommend it !!
Happy New Year ! Rod & Chris in PA.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:16 AM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

Default menace

mark shope just started cutting again
1570 769-2760
I have two of these planes. I use 32sx with home made exhaust.
love to do the snap loops in the wind.

email me for photos.
[email protected]
Old 01-08-2002, 03:28 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Default menace

I've got plans for it..... I'm thinking of just scratch building it.... Except the rib is a little intimidating with all the sticks... I can't get a hold of Mark to order a kit.... I wish he had email...

I've got a TT 36 that I think would work great on it.... There's a bunch of carbon fiber in the fuze... Where do you guys get the carbon fiber?
Old 01-09-2002, 01:08 AM
m.gramling

Default menace

Is this plane a kit or do yo have to scratch built it. Is there a website where I can find info on this bird. also how hard is it to build.

thanks,
micheal
Old 01-09-2002, 01:12 AM
bugsiegel

Default carbon fiber.

My first menace was a kit from mark the second one I scratched.
I ordered the carbon from a guy in one of the magazines but I don't remember which one it was. the boom isn't too hard to guess just measure the OD of the two booms off the plans them when you place your order make sure the two ID will allow one tube to fit snug inside the other. there is some carbon fiber tape like strips which are used to reinforce the wing and tail mount to the boom. make sure when you order that it's the thin soft type not the thicker not flexable type. It needs to be soft like string.

This plane was available as a kit at one time but it came from a "GUY IN A GARAGE" type of opperation. I would sugest finding a set of plans and scratching it. it really isn't that hard. Then hold on to those plans because you will love this plane !!!

Paul S let me know when you start yours.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:09 PM
wagas

Default menace

I've got plans for one these and can't decide on an engine. I'm not into the competion only sport flying. Is a OS .40 LA ok for this airplane/ what about a TT 46 pro (to much?) thanks for any advice....
Old 01-09-2002, 05:12 PM
bugsiegel

Default engine

I think the LA would be just fine to get around the field but I don't think it will hover it and pull out the right way. It might be a little weak on the climb and glide.
the 46 will be too heavy for this plane. I'm sure it will fly but in slow flight it will end up nose heavy.
With a 32 or an LA this plane will fly sooo slow that after your first flight people will start asking where you got it. with the smaller engine it won't tip stall no mater how slow you go. With a heavier engine I would think that would change.
I have a 32sx which pulls it nice but needed a little boost so I mounted a mousse exhaust (1500 rpm gain) I would say it needed that boost to pull out of the hover. that set up had a finished weight of 4lb 2oz. I was not the strongest plane in the climb and glide because most club funfly planes have 46's on them. at the end of the season with all the glue it weighed a bit more.
My second menace ( with a steerable tail wheel) came out at 3lb 10oz , lighter then the first one.
with the same 32sx I'm sure it will be a stronger flyer ( I haven't flown it yet).
This plane should be built light 3 1/2-3 3/4 finished weight. If you can get it lighter, great. some people use a webra 32. I hear they are stronger than OS
Old 01-09-2002, 06:09 PM
PaulSwany

Default menace

Hey Bugs.... I'm going to CAD the tough pieces and have them lazer cut...... I found some carbon fiber graphite available from Lone Star Balsa, it's .001 - .004 thick. Do you think that will work? They also have carbon fiber tubes... They had one that is .505 od. Do you think that will work? Why is the boom two pieces? Can you do it with just one tube?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:42 PM
bugsiegel

Default carbon and fiberglass

ok guys I have the label off the package of carbon fiber laminate strips. it's 1/4" by 72'. @. 007 but here is the thing. this laminate is not right for the whole plane. It will work fine for the wing reinforcements but it wong fold over the boom to hold on the tail to the boom. when you order it ask to make sure it's soft like a braded string. as soft and flexable as a strip of paper. that you can use for the whole plane.
Paul,
It would probably work with one straight boom but then you have no reinforcement in the center. with one inside the other they reinforce each other at the center which I guess is where I would think i would give under enough stress.
I have some extra boom and here are the measurements.
the booms are fiberglass NOT carbon fiber.

front boom is .505od and .417id
tail boom is .414od and .337 id

http://www.acp-composites.com/
My advice to you is order enough for two planes, you will be building this plane for a long time.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:19 PM
bugsiegel

Default mark has called again

this guy makes a good plane but he's a garage opperation.
he calls me from time to time to tell me he's cutting. he called me again last night 1/12/02 to say he has 20 of these planes cut.
i would call and then mail the payment over ngiht to him if you want one.
570 769-2760

it's a first come first surve thing with him.
he's a real nice guy but unable to produce all the time.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:09 PM
m.gramling

Default menace

Does that include everything. Or do i need to buy the carbon fiber as well. Where I live, nobody has carbon fiber, And I don't know much about it other than buying some products already made w/ carbon fiber.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:04 AM
bugsiegel

Default he usually sells a complete kit.

my experience with him that is.
I have ordered two different plans at two different times.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:03 PM
PaulSwany

Default menace

Tell me about the fiberglass boom on this plane... how far in does the smaller tube slip into the larger tube?? I've almost got all the materials gathered and the plans are at the laser cutter... Only $12 for a set of ribs, sub ribs, trailing edge sub ribs and motor mount... pretty good deal!!
Old 01-15-2002, 04:19 PM
bugsiegel

Default tubes

I just looked at the plans and it doesn't show. I put about three inches of small tube inside the larger tube. I mounted the rudder and stabalizer before I connected the two tubes.once I had them set i glued them and then I put the screw through them.
Old 01-15-2002, 04:36 PM
ramrod
My Feedback: (43)

Default Menace Boom

Hey Paul, go for it and enjoy ! They are one fantastic
plane and tons of FUN !! It does show on the plans if I recall
but the back boom only needs to go into the front boom about 2 inches.
We just stick it in and use 2 small screws 90 deg apart to hold it in.
If you want it permanent rough up the tubing some and CA it. We like to be able to take em apart for traveling to meets, etc. I also normally install my rud and elv servos in the tail section so I just have to pull apart the servo leads to separate the tail section. The planes are not really all that large but when you are taking 4 or 5 to a meet it helps to be able to take em apart. I am also using the TT 36 with a mouse can pipe , works great ! My son has an OS 32 SX with stock muffler and it rips also. He can hover and torque roll all day and it does great flat spins and he loves doing inverted rudder bumps and hovering tail touches. They are fairly tough to and easy to repair when you dork em. I used some extra sheeting on mine in the tail section to help keep the fin on, as this is a place they often brake. But it is really not necessary if you don't mind just gluing it back on once in a while. If you want to email me I can send you a pic or 2 of ours. [email protected] , have FUN , Rod & Chris