Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

knife or wasp

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 02:08 AM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knife or wasp

I am looking to build me another fun fly for the spring. i already own a wasp and love it. I was wondering how the knife compairs to the wasp. My wasp hover with ease, but its knife edge performace is lacking. I have already loaded my tail up on the wasp.

Please let me know how the two compair. What motor and servos are you using. and the weight of the finished plane.

Thanks,
Micheal
Old 01-08-2002, 02:21 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Default knife or wasp

How about a Top Cap? Mine weighs just a hair over 4lbs and has a Saito .72 in it. Its AWESOME for 3D!

This is mine,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	732_60.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1298  
Old 01-08-2002, 02:26 AM
Derek8819
My Feedback: (9)

Default knife or wasp

SUDUKHOI!! I have seen a top cap, knife, fundesign and sudukhoi. The top cap and fun design do 3d well but the sudukhoi will 3d with um but it sticks a hover!!!! it isnt a plane its a helicopter. Get it you wont be sorry. The knife is a in between
Old 01-08-2002, 02:37 AM
wgeffon

Default knife or wasp

My Top Cap is super easy to Hover. Even to do the "tail-touch" hover down on the ground.
I agree with you though, the Su-Do-Khoi is as easy to hover.

Even easier than both of those is the Su-do-Khoi .60 I got to fly one a few months back and its rock solid. I am going to be building one shortly..
Old 01-09-2002, 01:16 AM
m.gramling

Default knife wasp or su-do-koi

so far we have agreed that the suidokoi will stick a hover, how will it 3d. compaired to a knife or top cap. I am looking for a great plane to build so if I don't crash it I won't have to build another one because I am not happy.

thanks,
Micheal
Old 01-09-2002, 04:15 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Default knife or wasp

Hey.... Michael... I'm scratch building a SuDoKhoi right now....

It's all covered and just needs the control sufaces hinged.... It looks really cool... and I've seen then fly... awesome.... I have plans... The only thing that's hard is the wing ribs... and a buddy I know gave me some...
SuDoKhoi Contruction Pics

I can bring it out to your field when it's finished.... I'm looking at building a menace right now... I'm going to check with a lazer cutter to see about cutting the ribs and the motor mount...
Old 01-10-2002, 01:38 AM
m.gramling

Default knife or wasp

Hey Paul,
I haven't talked to you in awhile. I am rebuilding my wasp. I was doing tail slides into a harrier landing. Well the wind caught me and I over controlled and smacked it into the ground.

I finally got my GP Cap 232 finished. All I have to do is set ailrons and balance and I am done with that. I spent to much money on that thing getting it complete. I could have build me almost 3 funflys for the cost it took me to get that dude ready.

I am looking at building the menace too. I don't know jack about carbon fiber or fiberglass. I don't know where to order it either. So I think I am out of luck on the menace.

I am looking at building me a knife, topcap or sudoikoi. I just can't make up my mind. I really love my wasp. it just doesn't knife edge very well. so i am wanting the best of bother worlds, hovering, 3d and tumbling. I have never seen any morris plane fly. so it going to take a while for me to make up my mind.

You know my club, 99.9% sport flyers. .1% funflyers (me)

if anybody has any info on the knife, topcap, or sudokoi. Please post it here.
thanks,

Micheal
Old 01-10-2002, 02:06 AM
dyerstown

Default knife or wasp

What about a Super Wasp? The designer made modifications to improve knife edge characteristics. It's on his web site. http://www.users.bigpond.com/sirexwasp/
Old 01-10-2002, 01:07 PM
m.gramling

Default knife or wasp

sorry dyer,

I forgot to state that I did built the super wasp. I just forgot to state it that way. Mine stills doesn't knife edge very well.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:17 PM
PaulSwany

Default knife or wasp

Hey Mike... You're welcome to check out my SuDoKhoi when it's finished....
Old 01-10-2002, 02:20 PM
dyerstown

Default knife or wasp

Hi, m.gramling,

I am thinking of building a Super Wasp, and I was hoping it knife edges well. What does yours weigh, and what engine and muffler do you have on it. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2002, 02:25 PM
PaulSwany

Default knife or wasp

Just a note on the Superwasp... The Super Wasp is a great plane and does some incredible maneuvers... Unfortunately, Knife edge isn't one of them.....

Inverted flat spins, looping inside the width of the fuze, hovering and the coolest looking blenders... Now that's what the wasp is good at.... the Super Wasp mod's helped knife edge, but there is still a lot of roll coupling and pitching....

I have a OS 46 on mine with a header and tuned pipe. It's ridiculously overpowered.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:39 PM
m.gramling

Default wasp

My ready to fly weight was 4 lbs 5 oz. before any of my crashes. I had 4 servos. (If I build me another one I will go with 5. Installation, and maintence after a landing mishap(crash) of the alirons and rudder servo are tuff' to work on. I have all standard Jr equipment 600 bat. pack. and a ST 45 with stock muffler. 10 oz great planes tank. I can save about 1-2 oz by going with a Mac's muffler. I am going to do that after I get it repair.

Don't get me wrong. I really love this plane. But the knife edge performance sucks. Everything else in my book is as close to perfect as I know it.

With my ST 45 with 11x4 APC. will hover about 1/2 thottle with a full 10 oz tank. and pull out pretty good. But when My tanks gets about 3/4 to 1/2 full. It will hover about 1/4 throttle and pull out like a bullet. when my tank get almost empty and the tail starts getting heavier. I can be idling in the with almost NO I mean NO airspeed I can give it full up elevator and it will point straight up. This plane is very hard to stall. This plane will land slower than a babys crawl it you want it to.

I am just looking to have the best of both worlds. 3d, hover, and knife edge.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:58 PM
R.Runyan

Default I like the Tower Hobbies...Fun51

I have built 6 of these planes for club buddies and they are great!
Real easy to build and do all the moves you want...including knifes.
I can do knife edge circles around our field with ease.
You can still get this kit from Tower.

Name:	952_2005.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1299  
Old 01-12-2002, 08:55 PM
m.gramling

Default knife or wasp

runyan,
I agree w/ the TH fun 51. I had 2 extra specials 1 w/ os 32. 1 w/ ST 45. they will knife edge for days. They are good kits, and they are worth the $45 bucks. My opinion I like the wasp better. The wasp is a great plane. But is has its set backs. I couldn't get my extral specials to do a harrier to save its life. I was doing harrier landings on my 1st flight with the wasp. The only set back I can think of is it won't knife edge very well.

that is why I am looking for a plane like the knife, topcap, or sudo. so i can have the best. I still would like to know who has owned the knife, topcap, oor sudo. and tell me what you like and didn't like about each plane.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:27 PM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Default re

The Knife.....This one will do it all!

Name:	969_665.jpg
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	1300  
Old 01-13-2002, 02:03 AM
m.gramling

Default knife or wasp

jmulder,
what 4 stroke do you have on our knife. how does it fly, what servos, and total weight.

thanks,
Old 01-13-2002, 02:46 AM
kamlooper
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wgeffon

wgeffon, how did you get your topcap a hair over 3lbs.....especially with a 4stroke? Or do you mean 5 pounds.....I built a Knife as light as I could w/o contest balsa, and it came in at 3 1/4 lbs. OS32sx w/mousse can muff., micafilm covering, pull-pulls, mini servo's, AA nicads.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:55 AM
wgeffon

Default Kamlooper

Typo! It should have said a hair over 4.( it does now )
Initially it was just under 4 with a Webra .50. Once I put the Saito in it it went slightly over. The weight now without fuel is 4lbs 5 oz.
These weights were done on a scale that measures freon as it goes into a container. It will consistently weigh a penny.

Thanks for the alert on the typo. I wish it was a little over 3!!!
Old 01-15-2002, 02:58 AM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Default re

I run an OS 52 on mine. Its a plenty of power and as far as the plane goes......Lets just say that I learn new stuff everyday on it. I plan built this one and I'm using pullpull cables on elevator and rudder. If you have ever built a profile plane you can certainly plan build one. If you think you want to try it email me. I'll help you out however I can.,,,,,,,.........John [email protected]