Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

OMP edge 540 flies!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP edge 540 flies!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 03:08 PM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OMP edge 540 flies!!!

My OMP edge 540 flew today. I built it using the plans. Not kit. I use an os46fx with APC 12.25x3.75 prop. The final DRY weight is 3.7lbs. This is a new engine and I am getting 11500 rpm on 10% fuel. How much would be a good rpm on this setup?

I found the stock CG to be a little too hot for my liking. I will move the fuel tank and battery ahead of the forward spar to move the CG ahead. With current setting, the plane is EXTREMELY pitch sensitive. I have -80% expo on elevators on normal flying rates. And still the elevator is very sensitive. On inverted, it climbs like anything. I am using Hitec 225mg on the tail for rudder and elevator.

Overall I am very happy with the plane...it flies real slow and should be able to do everything the pilot wants it to do.

I will post my next flight results ASAP.

thanks for reading.
Anurag
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	33189_205.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	21157  
Old 10-31-2002, 05:37 PM
da king
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got back from the field. flew mine for the first time also. WOW this thing rocks!!!! I think my cg is also a little too far back. But its still smooth so i will have to play with the motor a little. I have a rossi .40 with apc 12x4 and i think it needs a 11.5x4. Theres not enough rpm. It does hover at 1/4 throttle though. my 46fx woulnd fit with the macs muffler on so i had to put the rossi on. the 46fx rips with the 11.5x4 so i think the rossi should too.
Well i got one inverted flatspin out of it but i couldnt get it to climb.(no rpm)Hover is pretty good, I got it down to 10ft on the first flight. waterfalls are tight! Knife edge is wierd but it will loop with practice. I still cant do harriers so im sure its me(and i though it was the sig se) Only got two flights in it today. I hope its nice out this weekend so i can tear it up.
Most of the time i found my self flying in 3d rate. Walls are real good. Didnt try parechute. still have to wiegh it, as soon as i do i will post it. Sorry my dig.cam. took a dump so i can not get pix. oh well. please keep me in the loop on how your plane flys.thanks and good luck.
Old 10-31-2002, 05:39 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default New OMP Edge

Anurag,

Glad you got the plane in the air. Sounds like you are way tail heavy if the plane climbs a lot when inverted. That would also explain the pitch sensitivity. Follow the instructions on setting the cg and make sure the plane flies level rightsideup and upsidedown hands off. Then you will see how nimble the plane is. 3.7 lbs is very impressive! Mine came out 3 lbs, 14.5 oz stock. Once you get the plane dialed in you can probably reduce the expo. I'm using 40% now and really like that feel but everyone has their own preferences.

Mike
Old 11-01-2002, 12:18 PM
Ragz

OK, I moved the fuel tank and the battery right in front of the main spar touching the leading edge (from inside). Now the plane flies fine. Atleast CG is not the issue. Once my engine breaks in properly, I will get to know the real potential of the plane. I tried some 3d stuff today. It does amazing waterfalls and elevators. Walls are very crisp too. I did not try harriers and flat spins...I am not good at them...I did not find adequate power for sustained hovers...engine was gurgling What RPM should I get for 10% fuel and APC 12.25x3.75 prop?

Other than that, the plane is a joy to fly. I would love to do some radio mixes now and experiment further. Will keep this thread alive as I go ahead.

Anurag
Old 11-01-2002, 12:33 PM
da king

ragz do your self a fav and get ride of the 12.25x3.75! Put a 11.5x4 on it. that was the perfect prop for my 46fx in my 5lb sig se. I tried the 12.25 and it didnt wind up nearly as easy. plus it didnt pull that great either. the 12x4 is really good too but its just a little too much for the 46. may be a wood. i will have to try that and let you know. any way........did you say your breaking in the motor?????? if so run the 11x4 for breakin. have fun
Old 11-01-2002, 12:40 PM
philfun
My Feedback: (58)

Default where you fly

Hi Da King,

Nice to know you are flying fun fly 3d in Detroit.Not to many in
Windsor were I fly.
Where are you flying in Detroit ?

May be we can organize a Profile funfly next year.

Phil
Old 11-01-2002, 12:44 PM
da king

thats sounds great!! im not much of a pilot yet. im about 40 min north east of the border. the club is RCCD. not many profiles at my club also. iv only got 2 flights on mine yesterday. btw does anybody else hover theres at 1/4 throttle????
Old 11-01-2002, 12:58 PM
philfun

Default rccd

Hi Dennis,
I probably know you field. Is it asphalt runway with forest on
the back on state park ? If it's the case I went during lunchtime with a modeller working with me.
Very nice area.
How other flyers react when hovering on the runway ?
About your 1/4 throttle hovering seem very low to me.
About 1/2 is more what I experienced so far . You probably have
a real light plane ,difficult to answer .

Good hovering

Phil
Old 11-01-2002, 01:08 PM
da king

No paved runway but the rest is right. the 1/4 hover was with the rossi. last night i put the 46fx in it. i will do some more flight testing when the weather lets me. i have to get this thing on a scale. im die'in to see how much it wieghts.
btw the field is on 26 mile and east of north ave. no the old timmers dont like us hovering on the runway. but there getting use to it. its was a pretty big stink last month but now there isnt that many people out there theres no one to *****.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:45 PM
philfun

Default rossi

Dennis,
I had Rossi 45 on a funfly was not to impressed with the transition.
The os 46 should be lot more friendly user.
I hope the weather don't deteriorate to quick.

Good luck with the OS.

Phil
Old 11-01-2002, 01:58 PM
da king

Phil I know i could get the rossi to work but the os is about 2 oz lighter. Plus i have a macs muffler on it witch is liter than the stock muffler. hehe. For some reason the rossi is NOISEY!!!! I just dont want to listen to it.lol
oh well. the os should be just fine. cant wait for the weather(wind) to get better. its blowing like crazy right now. the news says next week is going to be better. should have some more flights in later next week.( i hope)
Old 11-01-2002, 02:28 PM
Ragz

Hi dennis, thanks for the prop tip. I will surely try the 11x4 prop. I dont have one at the moment. Will have to order one. I will break in my engine with an 11x6 for the moment.

I will be framing another edge just in case this one...you know what...

Stay in touch.
Anurag
Old 11-01-2002, 02:38 PM
da king

Ragz I was thinking the same thing.lol.
this would give me somthin to do this winter. haha.
just in case of course.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:49 PM
Ragz

Flew the edge again today...KE flight is actually quite different in this. My Ultra sport knife edges better...but maybe its my flying skills that need tuning to a 3d plane as compared to a pattern plane.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:43 PM
da king

well i flew it today. man this thing rocks. hey guess what...............i can hover!!!! got down to 1 to 2 ft with it.wow...after struggling with the se this thing just camps out in a hover. ragz..the knifeedge is a little wierd but it will knife loop at 1/2 throtttle...hehehe...i got a lot done today. harriers are cool but still need work. elevators are smooth and i got it to climb in a inverted flat spin. got to wiegh it today also. 3lbs 13 oz. i had to put -35% expo in the throttle just to get the stick higher. a friend looked at the throttle stick when i was hovering and he said it was at 1/4. it felt strange that low plus it made harriers hard. well enjoy. i know i will.
have fun
Old 11-07-2002, 01:12 AM
da king

i got pix of my plane now. here it is.

Name:	34165_15122.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	21158  
Old 11-07-2002, 12:56 PM
AFSalmon

Default knife edge

Not sure why you guys are having trouble with knife edge? The FF540P all trimmed up will knife edge straight down the runway with no coupling at all. Keep in mind with these light profiles up on edge, the wind will bounce them around a lot. Make sure the balance is correct and the control surfaces are straight at neutral (i.e. the ailerons). Also a good knife edge with this profile only requires about 1/3 rudder and half throttle, any more puts it into a high alpha knife edge and more power pulls it vertical.

Mike
Old 11-07-2002, 02:01 PM
da king

who was having problems with kinfe edge? Im not use to so much rudder. This thing will go from ke to starit up in nothin flat. I might have missed somthing when building but the only coulpling i have is a little up elev with left rudder and a little down elev with right rudder. not sure what would do this but its so little i havent built a program to cancle it. I was doing ke loops about 6 to 10ft dia. I never did that before. by the end of the gallon i will have it dialed. just waiting on the weather. ragz where did you go. havent heard from you in a few. good luck all.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:43 PM
Ragz

Hi dennis...im right here pal. Just travelling...I wont be flying the edge for another week now. Will keep you posted on my next flights. I am already getting 2 more kits cut jst in case. I like the plane already...its jst that I have to give it time and patience to dial it in.

Anurag
Old 11-07-2002, 03:44 PM
AFSalmon

Default knife edge

A cross wind while doing knife edge will certainly cause a need for elevator correction and this is probably why you need opposite elevevator depending on which way the plane is facing into the wind. I've noticed for a long time that a llight profile plane is very susceptible to this effect. But again, the light wing loading is what makes these things dance in the air!

Mike
Old 11-07-2002, 04:40 PM
da king

Anurag nice to hear from you. Sorry to hear that you have to wait to fly yours too. ya well what can you do. Did you see the pics of mine. I still need some trim or somthin. Go to OPM web site and look at the pics of the 540. Look very carfully at the top one. Green tail. Look at the nose....he put a twin canopy and slim down the nose to a realistic nose. Im defainitly do that on my next one. Thats pretty sweet.

Mike i never thought about it but ya up wind and down wind. The wind does change dir alot where i fly so i will keep a eye out for that. We will see how it goes. Dont know when this wind is going to set up. I can fly in it but know i can get real low thats all i want to do. hehehe. just have to wait...huh..

Wel have fun and keep in touch.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:48 AM
Ragz

I flew the Edge again today. Oh Boy!!!! What an amazing plane this has turned out to be. I got it down to abt 10 feet for hovers and did elevators and some harriers. It flies at snails pace when u want it to. I cannot wait to learn the more fancy 3d stuff like flat spins and blenders, the high alpha KE etc.

I am very happy with this little jewel...........

Anurag
Old 11-17-2002, 08:21 PM
da king

Ragz try some waterfalls. I got mine to do 3 foot loops. It looks so funny with the tail rotating around the wing like that. I got sick of waiting for the wind so I flew it anyway. I was getting real aggresive with it and its fun that way too. I found some more throw in the elevator to. This thing is off the hook.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:22 PM
da king

check this out.

Name:	36081_15122.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	21159  
Old 11-17-2002, 08:24 PM
da king

not that i ever use it but heres low rate.

Name:	36083_15122.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	21160  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.