Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Knife edge spins on a profile

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Knife edge spins on a profile

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 11:48 PM
Super D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knife edge spins on a profile

I just can seem to get into a KE spin on any of my profiles. I was able to do them with my 1/4 GP Patty W. but for some reason I cant do them on any of my smaller planes. Maybe it takes a big bird to do them? I can do horizontal tight loops but not a true KE spin. One of my favorite maneuvers, just curios, if ya'll have the same experiences. Any help appreciated.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:04 PM
UltimateFlyer120
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Knife edge spins on a profile

Dude the MoJo 60 does nice ones. Start with elevator to spoilerons get in a knife edge add Full Down elevator and top rudder along with full throttle. You need lots of Down elevator. OMP's little Edge 540 does them great so does Morris Hobbies Sledge. I'm Sure I put my OMP Boxxer in a knife edge spin too.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:58 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Not sure I have ever had a profile that would not do that maneuver. What plane you got? I have flown nearly every profile ever made but I admit on some I only flew once and did not try that maneuver. I think you might be trying the same stick input on your profile and it is not working, you might try finessing the sticks a little to find the "spot".
Jeff Williams
Old 11-11-2005, 02:02 AM
Spacey

I agree with Jeff. I think you're just struggeling a little to find the sweet spot. Either that or you just lack something odd in the setup. Maybe more throw and who knows maybe even a little power. All that said I also can confirm that I haven't had a profile that cannot do it. If you say you can get it into tight loops it sounds like you're close either way. Maybe just not stalling the wings enough? I always start with a stick in the corner snap and when I see it going into the manuver I start adding power and crossing the aileron. The profiles are quite easy to put in but you need to be carefull with all the aileron authority on them as the aileron can pull it out again. I actually found it harder to put my buddy's H9 33% Edge into one but then again once the Edge was in it stayed in untill you flew it out.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:29 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

I agree. KE spins come way easier (at least for me) than blenders. The big difference between them is the throttle, and as you've said, spoileronss help a lot for finicky planes. But I find my setup for either blenders or KE spins is easiest when I start doing a rolling dive and then slowly start to cross the sticks (left roll, right rudder). Then go to full down elevator and lay off the ailerons and keep full throttle -- hold in full rudder. If I screw up a blender -- it usually ends up a KE spin going at some wierd angle -- also kinda cool.

Nothing loses altitude as fast as a great KE spin (start it up REAL high). My sledge's tail blurrs so fast it's a riot.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:40 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Most profiles have way more control authority than scale planes and thus it is easy to over control for non-3D manuevers. For example you hear many folks say "my profile won't snap roll" and then you laugh because you see they are banging the sticks in the corners. Message here is you have to find the sweet spot as Jeff says above. Chances are it won't be in the corners of your gimbals.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:48 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

I found a really easy and sure way to do KE spin on my Accel Katana 40. Just roll 90 deg to slow KE flight using top rudder to maintain heading. When ground speed gets slow enough, feed full down elevator, and BAM, it starts KE spin.

I found this to be a more robust entry than the 1/2 hammer head or snap roll entry method. It's easier because control input's timing is less critical.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:30 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Seanychen,

So when you start that spin from a high alpha KE, would that be heading down the runway at 10 feet off the deck? LOL

P.S. Love your sig block brother!
Old 11-27-2005, 11:25 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Wind Junkie it is likely that you are using too much aileron input. TRY a very low dual rate setting to avoid unintended input. You may also find it easy to initiate from a nose high and sloooow knife edge with minimum power.

My Sledge recovers instantly but a 40% Edge that I fly is quite reluctant to come out. Frit me to death first time as it is not my model I just fly it for someone else.