Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Good first profile choice

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Good first profile choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Heliman912

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good first profile choice

I hate to beat a dead horse but I am having a very hard time deciding which profile to start with based on all the choices. Any guidance or direction will be very appreciated. I have read a lot of the threads in the 3D and profile section and the more I read the more unsure I get. This is will be third plane and first glow plane. I have a Graupner Terry and a Fancy foam su-29. All my research has lead me to believe a profile is the best to learn with, get my feet wet and decide if glow is where I want to go. My priorities are as follows: 1. must be an ARF. 2. must be durable 3. must be able to do decent aerobatics for practice ( i know these are not designed for this but some do a decent job. ie. I saw a video of the omp yak doing acceptably good normal aerobatics). 4. must fit in my car with or without a two piece wing. The following are some of the ones I would consider based on my research and positive comments in the boards:
1. precision aerobatics bad boy v2
2. omp 540/yak
3. omp v2 katana 48
4. morris knife/topcap
5. glowplugboy by gcbmrc.com
6. Modeltech Magic 3d
7. extreme flight rc edge 540

I will go 2 stroke or 4 stroke as recommended. I know the ys 63, saito 72 and os 70 are all good choices for all these planes except the magic.

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you in advance. Let me know if more info is needed. I have only been flying since this summer and can see already I am catching the flying bug. I keep saying one more, one more.

I look forward to joining the profile brotherhood.

Happy Flying

Mike
Old 11-18-2005, 01:44 AM
scolpit

Default RE: Good first profile choice

Hi, im going to buy this christmas my first profile too. And my choice is OMP Yak54 65". Im a little tired of 40size planes, im going to a 90size now. As i can see it fits in your car (it is a 2 piece wing), very stable(thats what ppl say), good 3d performance(nice to me, im going to start 3d now, im tired of simulators), and it's an OMP (awsome planes, and excellent support)
Old 11-18-2005, 01:46 AM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

Hey. It's great to have another bro that wants to fly profiles. They are great to fly and fun to learn on. Welcome........

You have some good choices there in your list. The OMP Katana would be great, but it isn't released yet. Another good choice would be the Mojo ARF. Billy Hell RC is having them manufactured. They should be out in the near future and would be worth waiting for. The Top Cap would be good, but I've heard they can be a handful. I guess the Bad Boy is great too but pitches bad in knife edge.

If you want an awesome flying plane. Wait for the Mojo ARF and stick a YS63 or Saito 72, 82 on it.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:30 AM
UltimateFlyer120
My Feedback: (5)

Mike OMP's Edge 540 was designed for learning/trainer type. The Morris the Knife is also very forgiving but will not be as durable as the Edge. If your learning? Check out an OS SX 50 for power and easy to setup. The OS 70 4 Stroke is too heavy for a 40 size profile motor.

Victor
Old 11-18-2005, 08:04 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it has to be an ARF I suggest the OMP Edge. The Edge and the Burrito are the most recommended "beginner" profiles. The Burrito only comes as a kit.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:45 AM
novabill

The Bad Boy flys awesome aerobatics as well as 3D. It's durable (except for the wing tips that can be cut off when they break and we'll supply covering to patch) It's the easiest hovering plane I've flown. And, because of the two peice wing, it'll be easy to transport.

Oh, and they are available right now.

www.carolina3d.com
Old 11-18-2005, 09:46 AM
ramcharger

[:-]
I had a Morris Hobbies Fun Design with a Rossi Powerhouse 45 rear exhaust and really liked both the plane and the engine. After
a few years the rudder pull-pull came loose in flight and although very little damage was incurred I decided I wanted to try another
profile and still use my Rossi engine. I couldn't find a profile for this engine except another Fun Design. I ended getting a 50% built
Morris Top Cap at a RC Auction. After deciding the alterations to the engine mount and wing location would be to extravigant for
my rear exhaust Rossi I decided to use my OS 46SF. I kind of lost my enthusiasm for the project however I will get it covered this
winter and flown next spring. I'm a "kit" and not a ARF (retired and love to build) person and would like to know if you all know of any profile kits that will mount a rear exhaust engine??? I was told of a kit called a Sirex Wasp (import ?) however I can't find it any of the magazines or the internet. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:43 AM
depfife

http://www.funaero.com/wasp.htm

Here is a link to some info on the Wasp.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:16 AM
JimRoss

I have been flying profiles for a couple of years now and have tried several of them, all of which I have managed to tear up due to acting silly down at low levels. My club president purchased a GloPlugBoy from GCBM R/C and managed to get it put togerher. I test flew it and trimmed it out for him and made a few suggestions on how to set the control surfaces. The plane flew excellent with no bad tendencies whatsoever. It lands like a feather and will fly well on a standard 40 size motor. He has a 50 FS on his and it does great. I liked it so much I bought one for myself and am about to put it together.

There are two trains of thought on profiles, one is to set it up like a sport plane for good easy fun flying while the other is to set it up wild so it will do all the 3D maneuvers. I recommend that you get one of these and set it up for sport flying until you get used to how they handle and then you can change your setup to whatever you like.

I plan to put a Saito 82 on mine and set it up for 3D flying, you know, cause I'm goofy and like to do that kind of flying.

The plane is well constructed, solid, and fairly light. It will do you very well for a first profile ARF. Another thing is that Mike stands behind his products 100%. His phone number is listed in the ad in MA. Call him and talk to him, you won't be disappointed.

Jim Ross
aka Cool Pig
Old 11-18-2005, 11:39 AM
novabill

ORIGINAL: JimRoss

I have been flying profiles for a couple of years now and have tried several of them, all of which I have managed to tear up due to acting silly down at low levels. My club president purchased a GloPlugBoy from GCBM R/C and managed to get it put togerher. I test flew it and trimmed it out for him and made a few suggestions on how to set the control surfaces. The plane flew excellent with no bad tendencies whatsoever. It lands like a feather and will fly well on a standard 40 size motor. He has a 50 FS on his and it does great. I liked it so much I bought one for myself and am about to put it together.

There are two trains of thought on profiles, one is to set it up like a sport plane for good easy fun flying while the other is to set it up wild so it will do all the 3D maneuvers. I recommend that you get one of these and set it up for sport flying until you get used to how they handle and then you can change your setup to whatever you like.

I plan to put a Saito 82 on mine and set it up for 3D flying, you know, cause I'm goofy and like to do that kind of flying.

The plane is well constructed, solid, and fairly light. It will do you very well for a first profile ARF. Another thing is that Mike stands behind his products 100%. His phone number is listed in the ad in MA. Call him and talk to him, you won't be disappointed.

Jim Ross
aka Cool Pig

I also know Mike as he is one of my dealers. The glow plug boy looks like a nice plane and Mike's service is top notch.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:44 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

www.swanyshouse.com

Get a burrito
Old 11-18-2005, 02:27 PM
depfife

ORIGINAL: Heliman912
1. must be an ARF.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Heliman912

Wow, thank you all for all the responses. I really appreciate it. Lots of great advice. Here is my thinking. Alot of the probros love th mojo and all the omp products but they are hard to get it seems (that is probably a good thing). A mojo ARF may be a good choice. Of course I live about 20 minutes from omp headquarters so it might be wise to buy local. Having the local connection would be nice although I have no doubt I can get all the help I need here or at the profile brotherhood. Would looking at an omp katana v2 instead of the edge since it slightly bigger be an advantage by being slightly more stable? Or are they pretty similar? Durability is pretty important to me. I would like to get the airframe before christmas so I can get an engine for christmas.

The glowplugboy also looks good and it would be nice to have something a little different. One of these should do the trick. I like that one alot. Thanks Jim.

Victor, you recommend the os 50sx which from what i have seen is very highly regarded but I want to stick with either two stroke or four stroke from the beginning. The os50 is only about 40-50 cheaper than a ys63 or saito 72 so i was leaning toward a 4 stroke. They are supposed to be queter but I must admit I have never heard one up close. If a two stroke is better when you are learning I would be happy to go with it. Of course I know it probably doesn't matter what you use so long as you fly it a lot and practice. Victor, I live less than an hour from you and would love to see you fly sometime if the weather breaks. I will pm you if that would be ok.

I am learning so I will set both low and high rates. I will also be joining a local club in the spring. For some reason the profiles appeal to me. Great performance. Look unique. Easy to build. What is not to like?

I consider the recommendation of a bad boy distributor who also has good things to say about other planes a great way to conduct business. Thanks William. Due to time line I am probably leaning toward a v2 katana or a glowplugboy. The site says they are available now.

Please keep the advice coming. I am humble and welcome everyone's input. If you are too proud to ask you will never learn anything.
Thanks guys.

Mike

Old 11-18-2005, 07:33 PM
JimRoss

Mike, the Gloplugboy is available also. Mike McGraw will ship it as soon as he gets your order.
I have converted all my engines to four strokes cause I like the way they run and sound. Like I said earlier, I'm putting a Saito 82 on mine. It will pull the socks off that plane but you don't necessarily have to run wide open.
Speaking of that, it is very ill advised to run one of these profiles at WOT except on a hard vertical as they tend to develop flutters at high speed and come apart ensuing in a meeting with Terra Firma, so no matter what engine you put in it, keep off the throttle except in a vertical. This is good advice for all profiles no matter who makes it.
Start out with the plane on low rates and experimant until you get familiar with it and then you can change the rates. Another thing, no matter which one you get, keep it high until you get used to the flight characteristics and then bring 'er down. Most of all, just have fun.

Jim Ross
aka CoolPig
Old 11-18-2005, 07:39 PM
novabill

Hey, You can't stop at just one profile...It's an addiction and you'll own a Bad Boy sooner or later. I promise.

Anyway, everyone has given you good advise and all of the planes recomended are top notch.

Cheers,

www.carolina3d.com
Old 11-18-2005, 08:31 PM
JimRoss

True, VERY true. I've destroyed 8 or 10 myself and trying to convince me to build some more.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Basement Troll
My Feedback: (3)

Heliman the four strokes are great but they are slightly more complicated. I have 4 YS engines, 2 63 FZs and I just love them but they can be a bit tempermental. If you live close to the guys at OMP they offer the YS engines and I'm sure they would be willing to help you set one up. An Edge/YS 63 combo would be a great start. The Saitos are great as well. A 72 or 82 would be great on any of the 40 size profiles. I have a Mojo 60, OMP 65" Yak and I just finished crushing a Kat 40 and they are all great planes. I have a Bad Boy that I just started to put together tonight. (Yes I know I should have had it done long ago William but I have been busy)
Don
Old 11-18-2005, 10:13 PM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

Why dont you start out with the BadBoy.

All the planes you mentioned will fly well an be great planes!

Cpl of things that I think would give the BB the edge for the first choice though are these.

It has removable wings which make it ideal to throw in the back of the car an go flying, even if you leave the wings on most of the time its still a nice feature to have.

It also has more wing area then all the other ones mentioned which will be real handy when you start doing the low slow 3D stuff, gives you a little extra margin for error!

It also has extensive carbon inside of it which makes it very rigid an greatly reduces the chance of the fuse breaking on those, how shall we say this, unplanned landings?

Plus its a very cool looking plane, especially when you trick it out with all the carbon accessories that you can get with it.[sm=thumbup.gif]

Im a diehard 4st guy but Im going to suggest that if you dont have 4st that your familiar with start off with a good .50 2 st.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:31 PM
novabill

ORIGINAL: Basement Troll

Heliman the four strokes are great but they are slightly more complicated. I have 4 YS engines, 2 63 FZs and I just love them but they can be a bit tempermental. If you live close to the guys at OMP they offer the YS engines and I'm sure they would be willing to help you set one up. An Edge/YS 63 combo would be a great start. The Saitos are great as well. A 72 or 82 would be great on any of the 40 size profiles. I have a Mojo 60, OMP 65" Yak and I just finished crushing a Kat 40 and they are all great planes. I have a Bad Boy that I just started to put together tonight. (Yes I know I should have had it done long ago William but I have been busy)
Don
Don,

Dont feel bad....Ask hooks about the two I'm building...Get the thing together...You wont regret it
Old 11-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Just Plane Nuts

Mike,
I just wanted to let you know that I live pretty close to you just outside of Trenton. We have a club in Trenton and there are a few of us that love to 3-D with profiles. You can't go wrong with an OMP kit or ARF. Mike and John are both stand up guy's and with the fact that they are local if you need parts if they are in stock you can pick them up. I would recommend the 47" Edge with an OS 46 FX on it. You will have a great power to weight ratio. I also have the 47" Yak and it is also a blast. Send me a PM with some info if you want to get together some time and check out a couple of these planes before you decide. I have the OMP 47"Yak ARF, OMP 47"Edge with a 2-piece wing conversion, OMP Katana, Omp 65" Yak, Swany's Mojo, and I had a Goldburg Extreme 330 ARF but i planted it in Nashville about a month ago. As you can see I like the OMP kits and ARF's. They fly awesome.
Dale[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-19-2005, 07:03 AM
sloanfs

Dale, Very bro like! I think he will benefit alot from hanging with you guys and seeing what it's all about in person.
It's much easier to show someone than it is to tell them.
All I have to offer that hasn't already been touched on is, Mojo 60, even though it's a kit it's an easy build. I know you don't hear of it recommended as a trainer much, but it's very suited for it. It's big so it's easy to see, and it flys like it's in slow motion, and it's as durable as a burrito or mojo 40.

Hook him up bro!
Old 11-19-2005, 07:58 AM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

Man none of the other ARF planes mentioned have carbon fiber in them to strengthen them for those all important dorks.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:40 PM
WhtBronco

2 stroke or 4 stroke, the choice is yours. I have both and they have ben great. The 4 strokes are quieter and have more torque and also use less fuel. I get 17 minutes of 3D flying on my Saito 72 with plenty of fuel for a couple landing attempts before I dead stick.

My Saito 72 is 3 years old. It was hard to break in and set correctly initially, but I have not touched the needles since and I fly all year in temps raning from 0 degrees F to 85 F. My OS 46AX has produced the same results, but was much easier to break in and get set initially course it's only 1.5 years old. Maintenance on the Saito takes me about 30 minutes a year, just adjusting the valves so it's no big deal.

That said if I was just getting into 3D I'd probably go 2 stroke. The engines are cheaper and if you bend a crank shaft or break the block it'll be easier to repair and cheaper to replace. The OS 46AX is a very nice engine for a 4.5 - 5 lb plane on a 12.25x3.75 APC prop and it can be purchased for about $115, sometimes less. I've bought 2 now for $100 each new at my LHS.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:34 PM
goony

YOU lucky lot over there in the US an OS50 in the uk is about $225[:@]

goony
Old 11-20-2005, 02:39 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.