Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Tunnel Vision wing retention?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Tunnel Vision wing retention?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 06:21 PM
bri neasham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunnel Vision wing retention?

I have just received my Chip Hyde Tunnel Vision and i have to say i'm very impressed with the overall quality.

After a good read of the assembly manual it all seems very straightforward, but the only thing i am slightly unsure of is are the wing panels supposed to just slide onto the tube joiner and locating peg as nowhere in the manual is any mention of the wings being pyhsically attached to stop the panels possibly sliding along the tube joiner in flight.

Would appreciate any comments/suggestions

Best Regards

Brian
Old 12-14-2005, 07:50 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Tunnel Vision wing retention?

Chips website says something about taping them on but I think I'd pass on that idea. A friend put in a ply plate and a blind nut in the wing panel. He put another ply plate on the inside of the wing stub. He positioned it so he could reach inside the access hatch and screw it together. I'm thinking he used a thumb screw on the wing panels and a spring loaded hatch latch so he didn't have to use any tools.
Matt
Old 12-15-2005, 03:23 AM
bri neasham

Thanks Matt

Sounds like a good idea to me!

Best Regards

Brian
Old 12-15-2005, 08:54 AM
sloanfs

ORIGINAL: basmntdweller

Chips website says something about taping them on but I think I'd pass on that idea. A friend put in a ply plate and a blind nut in the wing panel. He put another ply plate on the inside of the wing stub. He positioned it so he could reach inside the access hatch and screw it together. I'm thinking he used a thumb screw on the wing panels and a spring loaded hatch latch so he didn't have to use any tools.
Matt
Pretty close Matt, I didn't have to put ply plates on though, The ribs that are sandwiched are already tough enough. Also I just used a couple of GWS servo arms for hatch latches.
Only takes a few minutes to assemble and requires no tools.

Brian, What setup are you planning to use? I'm running an OS 160 on a pipe, Pulls pretty good on a 13lb plane.
You are going to love this plane, Flies like a dream.
Here's a pic from the maiden.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11434.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	370458  
Old 12-15-2005, 09:30 AM
bri neasham

Hi Dave

Thanks for the tip re using small servo arms to retain the hatches.

I'm also going to use a OS160 which i have just received. Going to start off initially with the standard muffler and a APC 18x6w prop and take it from there, although i'm already thinking about a Just-Engines 160 size purple pipe setup!

Should be a lot of fun, can't wait!

Best regards

Brian
Old 12-15-2005, 08:41 PM
awat65
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My TV had a hard wood point that was already installed in the wing. I drilled a pilot hole through it with the wing tube installed, then I put a screw in it. I did the same on the other wing. I leave the wing tube in one wing. it only takes a few seconds to install the wings and the one screw. Check your wings to see if they have a hard point installed already. Look at the wing tube slot, you should see a square indention covered with monokote. That is the hard mount I used.