Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

CG for Top Cap

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 12:17 AM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG for Top Cap

Hello, I'm just about finished putting my Top Cap ARF together and was wondering how far back you guys have taken the CG. I'm a good pilot, and love doing wild manuvers.

BTW, this thing seems pretty big for my 50SX. What engines are you guys using? I'm thinking I might have to upgrade to a 60, or maybe a 91.

Frank
Old 11-15-2002, 12:20 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Default CG for Top Cap

Start at the recomended point. Some people think it flies tail heavy there.
I flew mine about 1/2" behind that point.

You wont need anything bigger than that .50 for this plane. Heavier motors will kill the performance.
The lighter the wing loading the better they fly.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:27 AM
Frankenthumb

Default CG for Top Cap

It does seem light for it's size . . . but will it hover with a 50SX? What prop?
Old 11-15-2002, 12:29 AM
wgeffon

Default CG for Top Cap

It should hover fine with the .50
Try a 12x4 wood prop.

( I run Saito .72's in my profiles )
Old 11-15-2002, 04:13 AM
Billy Hell

Default CG for Top Cap

Even extremely tail heavy she isn't that hard to land.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:20 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Yeah, but...

What's the measurement...I got the one I traded for, but he pulled his battery and RX out. I might ought to check my CG before the first flight..
Old 11-15-2002, 05:31 AM
jsonin

Default Same setup...

Frank,

I've got the exact same setup: a TopCap ARF with an OS 50. I'm switching to an OS 46. I don't need all the power of the 50 (I can't believe I'm saying that!) and more importantly, the 50 low and high-end needle essemblies drive me nuts. You can check out my TopCap with the 50 at:

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia...rc_topcap.html

The 50 is tons of power... it hovers at 2/5 to 1/2 power. Climbing inverted spins are possible. But I'm going to a 46 for reliability and smoother transitions.

As far as the CG, 5 and a quarter inches back is fine. I maybe moving it back some tomorrow... also, Jeff Williams' carbon fiber gear are an absolute must. Don't hesitate; buy them. Take-offs will require 10 feet, landings will be even easier... etc etc.

-Juhan
Old 11-15-2002, 08:51 PM
Frankenthumb

Default CG for Top Cap

jsonin

2 questions:

1. Which prop are you using with your .50? Mine is REALLY reliable, no problems at any throttle setting. I fly a 12x6 with it, but I'm only a few hundred feet above sea level.

2. Also, I set up my elevator throws last night, and quickly realized that I can't get what I would consider "3D" throws when the elevator goes down. It hits the Rudder linkages after about 2inches of deflection. OK, I know that 2 inches of deflection should be enough, but it's nowhere near 45degrees. How much deflection do you have?

Frank
Old 11-15-2002, 10:49 PM
Billy Hell

Default CG for Top Cap

The same thing happened to me. Some folks cut the offending piece and make it work that way (Ulf). I just made sure the two wouldn't touch (or lock up in the air - which I have heard of happening).
My personal plane is very ele touchy. I can snap out of a loop no problem. I'm actually either going to crank up my expo or lessen up my ele travel.
All that to say, I didn't need all of that travel on the TopCap.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:11 PM
RC_Junky
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: Same setup...

Originally posted by jsonin

also, Jeff Williams' carbon fiber gear are an absolute must. Don't hesitate; buy the them

Is this carbon fiber gear any longer than stock (so you can use a bigger prop with changing mounting location)? Also, where can one get them?
Old 11-16-2002, 03:20 PM
jsonin

Default CG for Top Cap

Frank,

I'm using a 12x4 or 12x6 (usually a 12x4 APC). I'm sending back my 50... usually OS 50s are fantastic engines. I look forward to when it gets a manufacturer's tune-up.

Your two inches of down should be plenty. If you're worried about hitting the pull-pull/control horns on the rudder (when deflecting at 45 degrees), you'll have to slightly modify your elevator linkages and surface.... but so far, I've had no problems with the stock setup and performing 3D.

RC_Junky,

Check out the top page of http://www.the******************.com/ - they have Jeff's email. [Note: I don't want to publically publish his email here, just in case.] They elevate the nose another two inches from the stock gear making take-offs and landing so much easier... if they weren't easy enough with these profiles.. jeesh.

You'll love them.

-Juhan
Old 11-17-2002, 01:48 PM
DonH21
My Feedback: (3)

Default CG for Top Cap

Crazy Leggs!!!!!

By far the best value for your dallar !
There tuff and tall!
I love them on my Top Cap!
They makes the TC look bigger and so cool!!
Did I mension they were tuff?

I bought 3 pair and got talk out of the extra 2 pr.
At 12.95 you cann't go wrong.

Their phone no. is 281-488-3993

Don