Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

one last Uproar 40 question

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

one last Uproar 40 question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 05:52 PM
chrisdodge65
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one last Uproar 40 question

I test flew my Uproar 40 today and what a nice flying plane with just a 40 FP.Last question has to do with flaperons.When I deployed the flaps,the nose of the plane pitched down instead of up.Why did that happen?She slows down nice and slow,I'm turning off the flaperons.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:43 PM
TERMAGATOR
My Feedback: (2)

how does it balance. If the CG is forward I could see the flaperons slowing it up that it just wants to fall outta the sky?
Old 11-15-2002, 06:53 PM
tipstall-RCU

I'm not sure what is happening when you deploy the flaps but I think most people, (I may be wrong), only use elev-flap mixing on funfly type planes. This will give you super tight loops. Flaps help lower landing speed and your Uproar should allready land at waking pace. Have you tried the elev-flap mixing?

Good luck.

Ken
Old 11-15-2002, 06:53 PM
AtomHeartMother

You might have too much flap deflection. These are big ailerons on a light plane. Too much flap will cause drag and they can also act as big elevons causing the plane to dive. I have mine on a c-mix where I get flaps with up elevator and spoilers with down elevator..it's a hoot. But use just a little deflection on the flaps. Also, try spoilers instead of flaps. With spoilers you can use a little more deflection. They can cause the plane to pitch up slightly, again acting as elevons, but you can do awesome slow flight and harriers with them set like this. I flew mine the other day with no wind, and with the spoilerons on, it's forward speed had to be about 5 mph. Took forever to get from one side of the field to the other
Old 11-16-2002, 12:06 AM
chrisdodge65

your right Atom.I guess I do have too much flap.I'm useing the JR 421 and the only thing I can do is reduce the deflection.There is no flap - elevator mixing either.As for spoilerons,I don't think there is a way to reverse the flaps to spoliers.The only reverseing on that radio are the 4 basic.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:21 AM
AtomHeartMother

Hmmm..not familiar with JR radios.
I'm using an RD6000 with mine.
Does the Jr have a value for flap deflection, or is it like an end point adjustment pot ? I ask because if it were a value you could go negative instead of positive to get spoilers. Seems like there'd be some way to reverse the flap function to make spoilers. Anyway, my flaps only deflect down maybe a quarter inch.....doesn't take much at all. Watch using flaps and getting low and slow..you can tip stall pretty easy if you're not careful.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:27 AM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Default flaps

People don't realize that when you deploy flaps on an aircraft, you increase drag. To compensate for flaps you must increase the engine RPM to move more air over the wing to compensate for the increased dragged. Ever notice on a commercial aircraft that when they deploy flaps, the cord of the wing is increased as well? That is to compensate for the extra drag. The increased wing cord decreases the wing loading. Think about it!
Kevin
Old 11-16-2002, 12:37 AM
chrisdodge65

the JR's adjustments are all done in neg and pos percents.I looked in the users guide and only mentioned on function on the flaps for adjustment.Nothing was said about reversing.And I measured the flap deflection too.1 1/2".So I guess a little reduction is in order.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:05 AM
AtomHeartMother

Ok...say you have plus 50% on your flaps then.. You should be able to make that minus 50% to get spoilers..see what I mean ? Positive numbers make them droop, and negative numbers might make them reflex, like spoilers. With some radios it might be the other way around though: positive, spoilers; negative: flaps. That's how I do spoilers on my RD6000. Might be worth a try.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:16 AM
f2racer

Default Re: one last Uproar 40 question

Originally posted by chrisdodge65
I test flew my Uproar 40 today and what a nice flying plane with just a 40 FP.Last question has to do with flaperons.When I deployed the flaps,the nose of the plane pitched down instead of up.Why did that happen?She slows down nice and slow,I'm turning off the flaperons.
That's what's supposed to happen. If you're having both ailerons come down for flaperons, you need to either feed or mix up elevator in to keep the plane flying level.

Just an FYI, as long as you have the engine idling as low as possible without risking deadstick, and have the CG a bit aft of where it says on the plans, you can fly the Uproar as slow as you'd like. It just won't stall, even without flaperons.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:58 PM
JasonF
My Feedback: (2)

I flew an uproar for a few years and found flaps to be a waste of time. If it is balanced properly it will land at a walk. Fabulous plane.

Jason
Old 11-17-2002, 07:47 PM
AtomHeartMother

I've never used flaps for landing...I agree it will land ultra slow as is. The flaps are really a good function for aerobatics. They help with flatspins, super tight loops and flying square loops.
You can do really nice harrier flight with spoilerons as well....talk about slow. I think with spoilers a skilled pilot could land on a picnic table no problem.