Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

inverted flat spin-knife

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

inverted flat spin-knife

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 02:04 AM
eagleeye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inverted flat spin-knife

Flying a Morris the Knife and having trouble getting it into a inverted flat spin-can anyone help???
It does regular flat spins well. thanks.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:20 AM
shmo46

I don't have a knife, but should be about the same as most other planes. To start you need to have enough down elevator to stall te plane, no stall, no spin. Start with full right rudder and left aileron, some planes will try to do something resembling a waterfall, but what you are looking for is a spiral. Once you have a spiral, ease the aileron (still full down elevator) to neuteral, and maybe even a lot of right aileron to flaten the wings out and it will transition from a spiral to a nice flat spin. Takes a lot of elevator and rudder throw and neuteral or tail heavy ballance to do it. Once you have the plane dialed in for it, and have done it a couple times, it becomes pretty easy.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:38 AM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

Same here with my Knife. It was actually easier to do an inverted spin with a less powerful engine. I'll climb as high as I think I need to and then just jam right rudder full throttle and left aileron full up. She will immediately go into a waterfall. I then (pretty quickly) slide my aileron almost to the middle but not all the way. That usually gets me close , then I just feather it here or there to get it right.
You might also want to try the opposite with full throttle left rudder and full right aileron and full up. My Knife does a much prettier inverted spin that way.
With an Irvine 53 and UT pipe my spins aren't so much pretty as they are violent.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:15 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Tell us more

Exactly what kind of trouble are you having? Describe your inputs, throttle settings and cg. Each plane, even of the same design fly differently and need differing inputs at times to achieve the same results. My Knife uses very little aileron for instance in an inverted flat. I do keep the weight to a minimum and happen to have an older MVVS .40 on it. Hovers and spins like a champ!
Old 11-18-2002, 11:55 PM
eagleeye

thanks for all the great tips!
I've been entering it from a inverted stall giving it opposite aileron and rudder with full down then i start to throttle up and slowly start moving the aileron to the other side. This is when i usually just fall out of it-hard to explain.
Maybe from what you guys are saying i might be going to far over with aileron and need to only neutralize it but i was hoping i could get a climbing flat spin from it. I have a OS46SX on it with stock muffler. My CG is 4.75-5" back from LE.
I will also give Billy Hell radical inputs a try-sounds like fun!
Old 11-19-2002, 12:01 AM
Billy Hell

I never enter inverted. I always enter on my upline ^
Old 11-19-2002, 12:13 AM
TERMAGATOR

here's what I do to get the inverted flat spin. I get going straight up then:
I stick the stiksin the upper inside corners(full throt & right rud on
the left stik and full down and left aileron on the right stik). The plane will start gyrating around and when the nose turns towards the ground I slowly slide the right stik over to nuetral ailerons still holding full down. the left stik will not change, leave it in the upperinner corner. Sometimes you may have to experiment with you D/R and flaperons on or off to find which combo gives you the best spin....Good luck and remember.....just jam 'em in the corners.....Gator