Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

just wondering

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 03:03 AM
coony2787
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just wondering

i wondering how you guys figure out what servos your going to use in a plane.
i was looking at the hs 225 mg , it looks pretty good 67 oz tork on 6.0v and you lose a good bit of wieght with it. but can you trust this servo to fly a 12lb fun fly on the elevators or say the airlerons.
so how do you guys pick servo's for your application? do you just forget about the wieght and get the best or try and conserve?
any input would be great good,bad or indiferent
Chad
Old 11-18-2002, 03:21 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

Default just wondering

that servo should work fine. What I do is the faster the plane is the more torque i try to go with. On larger planes I always use metal gear servos as I lost a plane do to gears stripping, I always use servos that are overkill so that I can use them in larger planes in the future.

Gil
Old 11-18-2002, 04:12 AM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Default just wondering

I have used the 225MG's with great success on my Top Cap and never had any trouble.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:47 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Default 225s - nah!!!

And I have lost a couple of 40-size Fun-Flys due to 225 failures. I won't use them on a one of my Fun-Flies anymore. I've had trouble with them even the MG versions. I use them all the time with success on pylon racers, but not on one of my Fun-Flies.

Regarding picking servos - I like the overkill approach now too. I have lost too many Fun-Flys trying to save an oz. in the past. Besides, you can save a couple of oz. using the 225s, though you gain it back with a 6V batt. pack & regulator to get the torque & speed out of them. (What is wrong with this picture )

I like to run BB servos in a Fun-Fly, and I prefer the coreless versions. I haven't tried the digitals yet. They had too many problems with them initially and too pricey for a 40-size Fun-Fly.
Kevin
Old 11-18-2002, 02:33 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

Default Go tyry THIS

I am not sure about the validity of thge results, but the Multiplex website has a very cool servo calculator. I ran the numbers from my Patrick in it and it seems good.

Don't necessarily look at the top results, pointing to specific Multiplex bran servos. Instead, look lower and find info re "Required Servo Torque", control surface area, etc...

http://www.multiplexrc.com/calcservo.htm

-Cheech