Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Tower Hobbies muffler

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Tower Hobbies muffler

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 04:14 AM
Rc-Warehouse-USA
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Hobbies muffler

I currently fly a Thunder Tiger Pro 46 with stock muffler the motor runs with great power. I have ran 4 stroke glow fuel 16% oil 15% nitro all year. A fellow I met at a fun fly told me "put a Tower muffler on that TT 46 motor and it will really have power". Has anyone done this? Is it worth the added $? I plan on getting 2 more TT Pro 46 this Winter I thought I might try a Tower muffler.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:25 AM
heliplane
My Feedback: (2)

Default tower hobbies muffler

the best $9 you will ever spend in the hobby.....I have one on a OS .46 and it works great.......the only complaint that I have is that it is a little tricky to get a low end needle setting...but you will notice a significant power boost
Old 11-21-2002, 06:14 AM
TERMAGATOR

yeh tower mufflers are great....consider yourself lucky if you order one and tower has them in stock<GRIN>....Gator
Old 11-21-2002, 06:15 AM
AtomHeartMother

Yes they do work great, but with everything there are drawbacks. Expect to almost double your highspeed needle settings...the motor is gonna get alot more thirsty. Also, be VERY careful how much you tighten the muffler thru bolt...they snap very easily. I think I could open my own warehouse if I scoured the country for the backs of tower mufflers
Some people get rid of the stock thru bolt right off the bat and put a 6-32 threaded rod in it with a nylon locknut at either end. This works great, but again, even the 6-32 will snap from expansion if it's over tightened.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:30 PM
heliplane

Default mufflers

another muffler that is really good though it is really pricey is the Ultrathrust......I got over 1,000 rpms increase on an OS .46fx.....the ultrathrust is one piece so it doesn't come apart but it sure does make a mess out of your plane if you don't use a deflector....I use a deflector on mine and it doesn't seem to rob any power
Old 11-21-2002, 04:24 PM
gtalbot
My Feedback: (5)

Default Tower and Ultrathrust

I have both the tower and Ultrathrust mufflers.
The ultrathrust will give bigger increases (900 to 1200 RPM), but is heavy and expensive. The Tower muffler is only $13 and is lighter weight. It will give your .46 a 400 to 900 RMP boost (compared to stock muffler w/ baffle) depending on prop and fuel.

If Tower is out of the Tower Muffler, look up and order the Hobbico muffler...same thing, same price.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:51 PM
Tattoo

Some people get rid of the stock thru bolt right off the bat and put a 6-32 threaded rod in it with a nylon locknut at either end
VERY VERY VERY extreamly good words of wisdom! Do it or you may be out in the field for hours looking for muffler parts!