Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

modeltech magic flight report

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

modeltech magic flight report

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 11:42 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modeltech magic flight report

i finally got to maiden my modeltech magic fun fly. according to the weather the wind was supposed to be about 15mph which is more than i would want to fly and airplane for the first time in. but i stepped outside and their was barely any wind at all so i hurried up and got it ready for the first flight. its got a supertigre g-51 which usually runs awesome but didnt want to perform well today, started first flip but its spinning a 12-4 prop only at 10000 rpm, it usually spins a 10-8 at 13500. i gave it a little power and i was amazed how quick that thing took off, i had the throws set between high and low rates according to the instructions and found that to be just how i like it. the first flight was short because i thought i would try and get the motor situation figured out . the landing was easier than any plane i have ever flown including my trainers thier was probly a 5mph wind and when i pointed the airplane into the wind it basically stood still i got it running a little better for the second flight. a lot of fun i must say, roll rate was amazing, and loops about 6 feet diamater. didnt try any real aerobatics but those will come tomarrow if the wind dies down. i would highly suggest this as a first plane or someone who is thinking about trying some aerobatics. this is definatly my new favorite plane and at 99$ you cant go wrong.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Absolut Yak
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: modeltech magic flight report

The Magic was my first aerobatic plane for psuedo 3D stuff. I learned to hover with it once I got the CG sorted out. I have an OS .46FX on the nose and it is way more than the plane needs. A good .32 with pipe is probably the ticket. Brisk roll rate. Good inside looping. Rotten outside or inverted maneuvers. Really takes aileron/flap mixing to fly inverted nicely. Absolutely no knife edge ability. Totally fun to land at nothing speed. I love the high gear stance.

My favorite maneuver is something I call the Mad Dog. Enter a conventional upright flat spin. Idle, up elevator, left rudder, let it turn about one turn in standard spin, flatten it out by crossing in right aileron, let it turn about one more revolution. Maybe blip the power a dab to help. Then, at full idle, go from full UP elevator to full Down elevator and watch the spin rate probably triple. It's like a Mad Dog chasing its tail. I bet at least two revolutions per second. It will eventually flip itself out of it in about 20 revolutions, but it is something to watch. Totally predictable to enter and absolutely my favorite manuever with the plane. Always gets comments from fellow fliers.

I haven't flown my Magic much in the past two years. I've moved on to gassers with more precision and capability, but the Magic is a great beat around plane. I have broken it, cartwheeled it, stalled in from bad bail outs, broken the gear, busted off the wing tips and who knows what else, but I sure had fun with the plane. It is sitting in my shop, fully assembled, rubber bands on, and just charge, gas, and go ready.

Doug