Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Help me pick out a new plane

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Help me pick out a new plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Diver09
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick out a new plane

I have an O.S. LA .40 engine that was originally in my gp super sportster 40 arf. I would like to know what 3D planes fall into this category for my OS LA 40. Thanks
Old 03-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Just Plane Nuts

Default RE: Help me pick out a new plane

Chris,
The thing to look for is a very lite airplane for this engine. Typicaly if you are looking to 3-D you would run an OS 46 AX or another good strong ball bearing engine. The 40 LA should be OK to do some basic 3-D but it may not be able to pull out of a hover. I would look at the OMP 47" Edge or Yak ARFS. They are very well built and should be lite enough for this engine.
Dale
Old 03-22-2006, 06:38 AM
UltimateFlyer120
My Feedback: (5)

A good 3D model for the LA 40 is the FF Taco. This plane was made with a 13 oz limit for motor. Look for the FF Taco here. http://www.swanyshouse.com/index.html
Old 03-22-2006, 02:11 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

To be honest, an LA 40 is not heard of frequently here in the 3d/profile forums as it really just doesn't have much punch. I had a old Sig Fazer long ago that I modified heavily and could hover with an LA 40 but pretty much at 90% throttle. I think if you kit built something super light you may be ok but not optimum. If you want to be happy with unlimited performance you are probably best with a smaller plane than the typical 40 size profiles. The above might be a good candidate. Other would include scratch built 40 size planes using contest wood and light servos such as Hitec HS85MG. I've done that myself.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Diver09
My Feedback: (1)

My birthday is comming up so im getting some money for my new project. I'm gonna buy a new engine, what engine do u guys think i should buy? Seems like most people say the TT.46 is the best bang for the buck.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:06 PM
P3RIPPERFW
My Feedback: (5)

if you wanted to save some money you could buy a kangke gee bee 50 3d. that plane will probably be light enough to run the 40 on. still you wont have that power to get out of a hover really quickly but it will probably still pull that plane out pretty well. it is smaller than most the other profiles.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:37 PM
AeroDave

Chris,
I'm running an OS 46AX on an OMP 47"Edge. Great combo. But more importantly, the AX has a perfect transition. Throttle response is instant and it really turns up. I like to run slightly smaller props on it than most might. For example, an 11-4 instead of a 12.25-3.25 APC. I find the engine likes to rev and if you'll let it, you'll see lots of power. Many folks at my field prefer four strokes and that's great. I thnk if you take care to be sure the low end is set right (not too rich) a good two stroke is a very nice choice for 3D applications. BTW, the OMP profiles are really nice planes. I have two and want more!