Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Golden Eagle Talon with DA50

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Golden Eagle Talon with DA50

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 09:36 PM
GoldenEagle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golden Eagle Talon with DA50

As a response to numerous inquiries by all the power junkies out there, here is my personal mod to the Talon Profile for the DA50. I've now tested a Saito 1.80, a Moki 2.10, an Evolution 35GT with tuned pipe and the DA50 on the Talons. That should just about cover anything you guys want to try. Flew it for the first time today with the DA50 and it's INSANE. Way too much power and I loved every minute. Hovers at 1/3rd throttle and actually accelerates going straight up. I need more diameter with less pitch than the prop I had handy but speed and 3D response was very controllable. It balanced just a bit nose heavy with no additional weight - a nice light CF spinner would be just the right touch. Hey MOAP, who's ya' Daddy!

Here's a couple of photos:

Chris
www.goldeneagleaircraft.com

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81220.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	431791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71532.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	431792  
Old 03-30-2006, 06:14 AM
Absolut Yak
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Golden Eagle Talon with DA50

Chris,

Way to go!!!!! I've toyed with the idea of putting the DA50 on my OMP Edge with the MVVS 2.15. Completely forgot about your plane. As much as I like OMP, your fuse design is probably a lot better for the DA. Keep us updated on how it goes. Are you going to be at Joe Nall again this year? If so, I'll try to look you up again and see this up close in person. What prop do you have on it? What is the all up weight?

Doug
Old 03-30-2006, 11:23 AM
GoldenEagle

Hi Doug,

I was wondering if this would get your attention! The mods were more straightforward than I first thought and the airframe is tolerating the extra ponies just fine. The DA's mounting is pretty clean but I have a couple of ideas for improvements. The weight is just a few ounces more than the Evo 35 GT and pipe setup but boy does it have vertical. The prop and spinner you see are those that I had on another A/C but just temporary on the Talon. Got a Mejlik 20x12 three blade with a matching 4" carbon spinner coming this week so I'll have to give you a report based on those.

Yeah, I'll be a vendor at Joe Nall this year and I'll bring two new Evo and DA powered Talons to display and fly. I've got some other surprises as well.

Just for fun, I entered and won 1st in a pattern novice class this past weekend with the Talon against dedicated pattern designs (Novice was all I could enter since the Talon wasn't rules-legal). This may mean squat to the 3Ders out there but it proved my point about this being a different animal than the other giant fun-flys.

See you at the Nall.

Chris
Old 03-31-2006, 01:01 AM
Absolut Yak

I'll make sure to find you at The Nall.

Doug
Old 04-15-2006, 08:53 AM
gixxer01

Flight report with different prop? Actually what were you using to begin with?
Old 04-16-2006, 12:03 PM
GoldenEagle

The first prop on the DA50 was a Mejzlik 23x10 that was 'er, "modified" by tip contact with a paved runway on a previous model. It's tips were sanded square, rebalanced, and is now a 21.5x10. The old prop probably feels a little more responsive than the three blade I mentioned earlier, as would be expected in a two to three blade comparision. I wanted to try the three blade in order to get more prop loading on an obviously overpowered airplane and still maintain good ground clearance.

I'd say that a 22x10 or 22x8 two blade would be optimal for this application.

Chris
Old 04-16-2006, 07:03 PM
gixxer01

Dontcha hate that ground clearance thing when you want to hot rod yer profile? Thats like putting a 460 cobra jet in a mustang and not having room for tires and rims big enough to get a good launch when you punch it!! If the gear was a bit taller, the 24x8 might load the 50 down better since the 22x8 is only supposed to be used during break in. Too bad hand launching might be out of the question.

What would a person have to do to get a taller gear? I am more than mildly interested beings that I have a DA50 collecting dust without a home!
Old 04-16-2006, 07:49 PM
GoldenEagle

True, but doesn't the three blade with CF spinner get your juices hot? The gear is plenty stout and wide so it can take rebending to lift the fuse an inch or more (which is what I did with the DA version shown). Here's a couple of pics:

Can I assume that by the moniker "gixxer" that you ride a GSXR? Once owned an R-1 (first production year) and a bunch of other sport and touring bikes but now I ride a BMW R1100S (Bimmer's sportbike). Yeah, an ol' fart's ride but hey - I'm still in the game. Can't shake the thrill of pure unadulterated horsepower though. Off thread - so sue me.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79839.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	446372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38382.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	446373  
Old 04-17-2006, 05:51 PM
gixxer01

Yea, I used to own a gsxR 600, sold it. Got tired of sitting in traffic during Florida summer afternoons. I was always afraid of getting road rash, so I wore my leather jacket. It had a fully perfed front and arms, but that dont make a bit of difference when your forward groundspeed is stop and go! The full perfs up front sure did make a difference when you were cruisin though.

Thats cool the LG can be "reshaped". The 3 blade prop does look pretty badass on there, but the pitch is too much. The 24x8 puts a wider column of propwash over the surfaces. I was always under the impression this gives you more control during HA/KE stuff, and acts like more of a brake in downlines. Of course this may not make a difference, different combos need to be tried to see what really makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when you fly. Only difference is trying a different combo could cost you at least $30, and you could always go in the wrong direction!

Anyhow, enough of prop selection. What did you change to mount the engine?
Old 04-17-2006, 07:38 PM
GoldenEagle

Yeah, leather in the summer down here is rough. I know from personal experience what flesh on asphalt feels like and its something you don't forget - so, I wear the leather.

You are right on the money about prop dia. affecting airflow and braking. Since the Talon is not for IMAC comps and the DA's effect on this airframe is so dramatic, the prop difference is minimal. A light wood 24X8 would probably let you thrash this thing around like a foamy and still keep the rpm's under control. Have you used this size prop on the DA50 before and if so, what airplane was it?

The lower nose was cut away and recovered with ply and film to clear the DA mounted inverted. Wood dowel hard points were added to allow aluminum angles to be bolted to each side of the fuselage through the original engine mount beams. A couple of nights work was all it took. In some ways it is a cleaner mount-up than the side mounted smaller engines. The DA weighs in at almost no difference than the Evo 35 with tuned pipe so balance is not an issue.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:04 PM
gixxer01

Well, most folks are running 23x8's on 15lb 3D planes, so I figure I could get away with the 24x8 not loading the engine too much on a sub 15lb plane. I have not physically done this, but not very many people are flying 13lb airplanes with DA50's in em. Heck, you probably could get away with using a cheapie 24x8 Zinger since the motor is so powerful anyways. But of course I have to break in the engine before it gets a different prop. Maybe the 23x8 is where its at. Anyhow, it does not seem too time consuming to make the mods. Unfortunately I am leaving the country for 4 months, no R/C flying where I am going. Hopefully you will have one in stock when I get back. Too bad I did not find out about this aircraft like 3 months ago. Oh well, good things come to those who wait!
Old 04-18-2006, 04:02 PM
GoldenEagle

Gixxer:
Enjoyed the discussion! Have a good trip and look me up when you get back.

Chris
Old 07-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Absolut Yak

Thought Profile540 might want to read this thread. He seems to be searching for a giant profile with a big motor.

Doug