Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Knife Arf Tank...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 12:49 AM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knife Arf Tank...

I have a Morris Knife ARF that I'm wanting to mount the tank to the front of, but there isn't really much room from the LE of the wing to the engine. If I put the engine there (Saito 72) I will have to move it far forward. What I'm afraid of is that the plane will come out nose heavy. I'd like to go with a 5" balance. Does anyone know if I can achieve a CG of 5" from the LE of the wing by just using the battery with the engine that far forward. Sorry, for all these questions...I just want to make sure I do it right the first time. I don't like changing an already finished model...it always leaves holes and uglyness in one when you do that.

TIA,
Tim Durbin
Old 01-03-2003, 02:52 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim,
Are you using the tank that came with the plane or a larger one for that Saito. I put mine in the wing with an OS46SF and balanced at 5in from leading edge. Some are using zip ties to hold the tank up front. there is enough room for the tank if you want it there. Go to product reviews and look at the thread on the Knife by Billy Hell there is a picture of his mounted out front. Pete
Old 01-03-2003, 02:59 AM
scole
My Feedback: (5)

You can use a header tank. I had this same problem with my profile Hots. Excellent results.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:38 AM
Aero330LX

Hi Pete,
Yes, I plan to use the stock tank that came with it. I like the neatness of the 'in the wing' method, but two things bother me about that...I want to do alot of hovering with this plane, and I sure don't wanna run it out of gas, and the other reason is in case I developed a fuel leak...I know if you keep an eye on things (which I do) it probably won't happen in a non-pressurized setup, but IF (there's that word again) it did, the wing would be ruined. I may just have to go with the 'in the wing' setup and take my chances. If I set that tank up front the engine is gonna be as far out on the beams as it will go and it just doesn't look right. I know from reading all the posts concerning the Saito that the center of the tank MUST be inline with the spraybar so I can't go above or below the wing a little. Another reason I'm a little worried is because I'm pretty light on the equipment and may have to move that engine back as I'm using 3421 mini-digi's and a very light 6v pack. The little mini-digi's only weigh a mere 1.04 ounces. I'll also be using a 341 micro for the throttle. The Saito 72 and the 46 are about the same in weight so it's good to know that you achieved that 5" balance. What I may do is just put some silicone around that stopper real good and put small zip ties on the fuel lines to make sure they don't slip off. What do you guy think of that idea?

Tim
Old 01-03-2003, 04:43 AM
Aero330LX

Default Header Tank

Hi Scole,
The header tank is an idea, but I have read a bunch of posts where guys have had some problems with fuel draw on the Saitos using that setup. At this point I'd like to stick with one tank if I can make everything work right. I'm starting to think that in the wing is gonna be the only way I'm gonna be able to do this and still have room to slide that engine back if I have to to get the balance right. Thanks for ther re:...I'll keep this idea in mind.

Tim
Old 01-03-2003, 06:35 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim,
That sounds fine. I'm getting 12 to 14 min flights with some fuel to spare. Let us know how it comes out. Pete
Old 01-04-2003, 03:49 AM
GBond-RCU

...i've been running an OS 46 w/MCM in my Knife ARF - tank in the wing - no problem with fuel draw...

...i'd like to try my new Saito 72 in this plane - do you guys think the Saito will draw fuel ok with the tank in the wing or will i need a fuel pump?...
Old 01-04-2003, 09:42 PM
Aero330LX

Originally posted by GBond
...i've been running an OS 46 w/MCM in my Knife ARF - tank in the wing - no problem with fuel draw...

...i'd like to try my new Saito 72 in this plane - do you guys think the Saito will draw fuel ok with the tank in the wing or will i need a fuel pump?...
I read all the posts concerning 72's in these planes, and all the guys running the tank in the wing report there is no problem with fuel draw. With the Knife (which I have and just finished) the tank is inline with the carb. I read posts that stated as long as the fuel line is within 7" it's fine. I'll be running mine some this week as soon as I get the props here for it, and will be flying it this weekend barring any issues that may crop up. BTW, I went with the in the wing setup. I rarely fly longer than about 12 minutes at a time, and it's been reported that I'll have more than enough to accomplish that so I'm not too concerned about running out of fuel. If I do go longer than that I won't be hovering near the ground anyway.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:54 AM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

I had fuel draw problems with my Knife and TT .46 pro. The engine is very far forward.

I put a header tank on it - no difference.

You say the .72 won't have draw problems?
Old 01-05-2003, 11:16 AM
Aero330LX

Originally posted by bgi
I had fuel draw problems with my Knife and TT .46 pro. The engine is very far forward.

I put a header tank on it - no difference.

You say the .72 won't have draw problems?
All that I have talked to that has the 72 in the Knife with the tank in the wing says it's not a problem. Lots of guys are running that setup successfully. It should be a winner!
Old 01-05-2003, 02:15 PM
f2racer

Does the stock 8oz tank even fit in the wing? Mine was VERY tight, so tight in fact that I thought that I'd break something trying to get it into the wing. I went out and bought a Sullivan 6oz which fits perfectly and gets 10-15 minutes of hovering intensive flying before running dry with an MVVS 40...
Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

The included 8oz tank is tight with thin foam, but it fits!

I'll be installing the .72 in the Knife!

thanks