Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

anyone make a 26cc gas profile?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

anyone make a 26cc gas profile?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:11 PM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone make a 26cc gas profile?

I have a SPE 26cc gas engine and I was thinking of putting it in a profile. The only problem is I cannot seem to find a suitable profile kit or ARF for this size engine. I was thinking something along the lines of the golden eagle profile that is made for the DA50, but obviously in a smaller package. Since the gas engine I have does not mount on rails, that is the other issue I have to consider.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:34 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: anyone make a 26cc gas profile?

GREAT IDEA: Also I sure wish the ARF producers would get on the ball... and get a ARF profile for a 26cc gas engine on the market as soon as possible. Kits for builders also. This size of engine is great. It would be a great plane for RC fans just getting into gas power. Once they learn the do,s & don,ts its on to nicer planes. Capt,n
Old 08-22-2006, 01:01 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What weight would this have to be for decent 3D and unlimited vertical?

Mark
Old 08-22-2006, 01:48 PM
sbaugz

I would guess it should be in the 7-10 pound range. I have a 26cc gasser in my 10 pound extreme flight yak and it has pretty decent vertical. I would think a profile could easily come in at 7-8 pounds. Anyone know of any models that would work? I took a look at OMP's 120 size profiles, but I am not sure how you could mount the engine since it does not have rail mounts.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:11 PM
AeroDave

I designed and scratch built one a couple of years ago with a G26 on it. It was a box fuse not a profile, but it still worked great. 1130 squares and 9.5 lbs. REALLY stong hover pullout and great harriers. I contacted Mike M from Hanger 9 because they were handling Zenoah. I just wanted him to think about designing one because since mine worked so well I knew the size/enginge class could be valuable to modelers. i think he thought I wanted him to kit my design which was not at all what I wanted. Anyway, no response.

The point is, the numbers can work out for a 3D plane in this engine class. Its just nobody has done it yet. Cheap price of gass sure is nice, though.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:41 PM
sbaugz

So, has anyone modified an available arf or kit to accept a gasser yet? For example, the 110 sized profiles that OMP offers. I am just wondering if there was some was you could incorporate a piece of plywood into the profile frame that would allow you to bolt engine standoffs onto it.
I suppose the other option is the get a big ugly stick and use the gasser in that. Basically I was looking for something cheap to throw this 26cc engine in so that I would not be concerned about learning new maneuvers or crashing it. I think everyone needs a plane like this that they don't really care about. I have several other gassers, but they are all so nice and pretty that I don't seem to get as aggressive flying them as I would like. Case in point, I had a cheapo ebay katana profile that I picked up for $40 and slapped a saito 82 on. With that plane, I would fly so low inverted that the rudder would drag on the ground, or I would snap roll immediately after take-off only a few feet off the ground, etc, etc. You get the point. I would never try that with my $2000 wild hare extra.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:34 PM
kawasaki99
My Feedback: (48)

Yea, I have a 26 spe on my omp yak 65 7lb 12oz. I cut the bottom motor mount off and bolted alm angle to mount the motor. It pulls out of huver ok but not a rocket. 17x8 menz prop.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:20 PM
AeroDave

I mentioned my scratch built just to throw out numbers that work. Something else I did that many others did as well was to use a G26 on an Ultrastick lite. Strong hover pullout, easy TRs but you really need to know how to control wing rock in harrier. I just doubled the firewall and put the servos in the tail. There are some great threads on this mod.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:14 PM
JIMnJILL

I was looking through the classifieds and saw this:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=217772

I thought that would make a nice airframe for a 25cc gasser. Anyone agree??

Jimbo
Old 08-30-2006, 06:48 PM
kawasaki99

not enough wing 4 a heavy gasser in my opinion.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:47 PM
JIMnJILL

Is a gasser really that much heavier? I think a light 25cc gasser weighs about a pound more than a Saito 180, but you can effectively carry 10 oz less fuel easily.

How about the Morris BalsaNova? http://morrishobbies.com/product_inf...93a7793fece21e

It is kind of a hybrid between box construction and profile. May be better suited for a 35cc engine???

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I would LOVE to see a profile plane with plug-in wings and unlimited vertical performance on a small gas engine. Maybe I am asking too much.

Jimbo
Old 08-31-2006, 03:46 PM
kawasaki99

Like I said i have a omp yak 65 profile with spe 26cc gas plug in wings unlimited vertical. 1200 sq.inch of wing.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:02 PM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mvvs 26 and 35cc both have rail mounts and should be easy to fit to a big profile, the 26 is very light too as it is built like a glow engine(same for the 35 for that matter, but it is heavier)
Old 09-02-2006, 11:04 AM
AeroDave

I like the OMP Yak. Thinking about the Evo 26. What do you guys think?
Old 09-02-2006, 07:25 PM
kawasaki99

I think its too heavyto get your cg. the spe 26 weighs 36oz with muffler& ing. Unless u want to use heavy servos in the tail and add some lead.