Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Tournament of Profiles 2003 *NOTICE* >

Tournament of Profiles 2003 *NOTICE*

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Tournament of Profiles 2003 *NOTICE*

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tournament of Profiles 2003 *NOTICE*

IMHO, I agree that it needs to remain a "profile" event. (JFYI, I do own a DHeX but don't own a profile!) (yet!...) After all, it is called the "Tournament of PROFILES". Opening up the event to DHeX's, UCD's, etc would certainly bring in more competetors, but where do they draw the line? A Doghouse isn't that different from an UltraStick, which isn't really that different from a Magic Extra 300, which isn't really that different from a GP Extra 300, which isn't that diffent from a Carden Extra 300..... see what I mean? I think it's more or less obvious what qualifies as a profile, and if it's not obvious, it probably isn't a profile. There could be a list of pre-approved planes, and if your plane isn't on the list you can send in a request to the CD for him to review your plane to add it to the list. In that case there could also be an "unapproved" list for planes that people have written in that got disqualified, so you don't get 30,000 people asking if they can bring their UCD. Maybe Billy could post the lists and contest details on the ProBro website?

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.... oh yea, if there's going to be "knowns", I'd like to see a "Freestyle" too, done like TOC (4min, music, etc) Seeing someone fly a cleaner sequence than someone else is one thing; seeing someone burn holes in the sky showing what they're fully capable of is another!!!
Old 01-14-2003, 10:16 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Maybe we can do an I.T.O.P. (International Tournament Of Profiles. Show up with your
field Gear and a practice plane, and the tournament will supply 10 identical profile
planes for competition. Kinda; like I.R.O.C. Now that would be a riot! Talk about
separating the men from the boys!

Now I like that idea! It is a lot more fun busting a plane you don't own!

Really though. It would be nice for the 10 best pilots for a final show down. Give them a little time to tweak the rates and cg to thier liking and let them rock.
Mixing the knowns with freesyle for a 4 minute with music would be cool. The knowns would only eat a small portion of the flight.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:18 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Hey Mike,
How long do you think it would take Jeff and Darrin to pile up all 10 airplanes? Bout 3 days?
Old 01-15-2003, 02:57 AM

Bout 3 hours!
I have proof with Darrin's 3D school picture!
Think you were there.
Shannon, Coop, I think you and Denny, me and of course Jeff were all there.
The dog still hates red planes! LOL
Old 01-15-2003, 03:32 AM

Default profile definition

I see where some of you are looking for a definition of a profile. I really have nothing official, the AMA has not seen my opinion of a profile, but I did submit this to Perry and the other TOP helpers for a review and we all agreed it was pretty close. Again this is not official but basically, if it was marketed (by the manufacturer or designer) as a profile then it is. Sometimes that will not cover everything situation so if you have a flat sided fuselage that has no formers, bulkheads, or trusses that run perpindicular away from any fuselage side to form another side then it is a profile. A skinny fuselage does not necessitate a profile, IMO the construction dictates that. There you have the short version but it gives you an idea and again please keep in mind this is not official information. I just came up with it awhile back and that is all the further it has gone.
Also, I apologize for it taking me so long to reply to this thread, it has been a crazy/busy week for me. Jeff Williams
Old 01-15-2003, 01:09 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Have Fun. count me out
Old 01-15-2003, 01:28 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default I'm with Smallfly

This is getting to sound more and more like an IMAC competition with profiles. Personally, I find them extremely boring . Everyone having to do the same routines, and you see the same thing over and over again. Freestyle was the only thing that I enjoyed at the Masters. The problem was that it took entirely too long to get to the free style events, so I stop going. Everyone flying the same aircraft! I would think that this would increase the level of boredom. I realize that this is not a reality because I do not know where you would find a sucker to supply 10 built aircraft for others to potentially destroy the first year of this event.
I have always acknowledged that 'you can't please everyone all the time'. I believe that Fun Flies, should be just that, fun to fly. Slam the sticks and lets see what it will do next. Rules We don't need no stinkin' rules! <LOL>
Best of luck to you all and enjoy!
Old 01-15-2003, 02:37 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Hey guys...

Nobody has said what type of competition this will be with respect to maneuvers, routines, freestyle, Knowns, unknkowns,

The location or date hasnt even been decided yet.
The suggestions on this thread are coming from RCU members who may or may not even show up..
Old 01-15-2003, 05:23 PM

It's true, I guess. Maybe we should just have a fun fly, and then give a few awards at the end. "Killer Crash Award", "Close Call Award", "Least Scale Like Flight Award", "Best Body Language Award", "Good Sport Award", "Coolest Looking Plane Award", "Most Visable Scars" (on the plane), "Worst Flying Power to Weight Ratio", "Worst Flying Wing Load Factor". Maybe that is more in tune with the idea of a fun fly plane anyway. If it's anywhere near my home, I'll show up and fly. I'm not taking it too seriously though, because I'm pretty sure I won't retire from the prize money anyway. I hope the turn out is numerous and in good spirit. I do not think this was concieved as a hardcore tournament anyway.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:24 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Default .

TailTwister,
I got a kick out of your descriptions for the awards! I needed that today. Thanks a bunch dude. We hope to see you there.
The rules will be in place, nothing hard core indeed.
We will all have fun at this event and we would like for everyone that is able to attend.
best regards,
Perry
Old 01-16-2003, 04:53 AM

Old 01-16-2003, 01:11 PM

I think if you wanted an event that could really grow into something HUGE then you should allow other planes than just profiles, like Magics, Hardbets, Ecstasys, SE's, etc. Maybe have a maximum size limit and have a couple of different size classes. I know it goes against the Profile Brotherhood name but it's just my opinion.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:27 PM

If you have any comments or suggestions please send them to me.
thanks,
Perry
Old 01-16-2003, 01:32 PM

Im with you wade. What's next, tournament of pizza boxes
Old 01-16-2003, 01:46 PM

Old 01-16-2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by WADE
I think if you wanted an event that could really grow into something HUGE then you should allow other planes than just profiles, like Magics, Hardbets, Ecstasys, SE's, etc. Maybe have a maximum size limit and have a couple of different size classes. I know it goes against the Profile Brotherhood name but it's just my opinion.
I feel that if the profilers want to put together an event and limit it to profiles only, so be it. After all every event (other than a club funfly) has rules on the type of aircraft allowed, so why not a profile only event. Sorry but Magic's, Hardbet's, Ecstasy's and SE's arn't profiles, (great flying planes, just not profiles). Why try and change their event? Just change your plane, bring a profile if you want to play.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:58 PM

Well, I knew I would get blasted when I made that post. I've noticed that several people have expressed an interest in allowing planes other than just profiles. I made the comment so maybe this could be explored. Perry, Smallfly didn't say anything out of line. If you guys just want a profile only event then so be it. Myself and some others want more I guess.

Wade
Old 01-16-2003, 04:23 PM

The problem is the defenition of a profile. a sudokoi 60 would not qualify as it has a thick fuselage as I understand it, but then again it does because morris says it is. So even though my ecstacy has formers all kevin from HSRCM has to do is put on his web page that the ecstacy is a profile and suddenly it qualifys. It is discrimanatory to come up with specific rules on what is and what is'nt a profile. The only way to make sense of it to me is to say the fuselage cant be more than 1/2" wide and more than 48" span. (40 size planes) any big funfly is going to have some kind of right angle attachments in the fuse for rigidity. This is my opinion only as I said before, Have fun. If I offend some of the brotherhood please forgive me.
Me negative peshaw
Old 01-16-2003, 05:08 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Hey Wade,
if you would a like a profile and fun flyer (like Magic, SE, U Can DO, Flip, etc.) event, come on down to the Profile Brotherhood fly in on March 15th and 16th in Houston Texas. A bunch of Profile Brotherhood members and RCU users will be coming from all over and flying in this event.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:37 PM

Sorry Wade, didn't mean to blast you. Was just putting in my two cents worth on the "TOP" rules.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:00 PM

Reality is, every stick built profile has 90 degree fuselage intersecting sticks (bulkheads or formers if you must) that contact the sheeted sides. Perhaps the T.O.P. could have a non profile category. (Or not) The point, I thought, was the get together, and not the contest. I own a Su-Do-Khoi 60 and agree that it is intended to be a profile, but it's construction is all too similar to other non-profile planes. My first reaction to it's construction was that it pushed the limits of a profile's definition. I could not, however, design a non "pure stick of wood" fuselage to fit the bill. To classify and categorize planes for a contest is a must. To do so for a fun fly or fly in maybe out of line. Although I've seen many do it in the past. For a Pro Bro fly in, I think the invitation is open to all who fly for the enjoyment of it. Most people bring a fun fly profile type of plane, but some do not. If the intention of the T.O.P. is to be a real contest, then the rules must be part of it. I will do my best to attend and fly. I own profiles and will fly them there, but for my interest I'm treating it like a fun fly. I'm not going there to win anything. (Unless there is a cool plane in the raffle). If a contest atmosphere isn't what you are looking for, then treat it as I will, or choose not to attend. We've proven that there is no sure fire definition of a profile, but to have an event like this there must be a line somewhere. My thoughts are this. Does a U-Can-Do have any advantage over a true profile because of it's fuselage construction? NOPE! Should the Su-Do 60 be ruled a non profile? Maybe... Do I care? NOPE! If you own a profile based on the descriptions here, then come out and fly. I'm sure we will have a blast. If you don't own one, then consider buying one. Not because it will allow you to fly at T.O.P., but because maybe it's something you're missing that's great. Isn't that why we fly anyway? I'm sure not in this for the money...
Old 01-16-2003, 06:28 PM

Hey that's only about 90 minutes from my house. I can come and watch the carnage !
I agree, too many rules and events can induce narcolepsy.
I'm not a Pro Bro, but I say let the guys fly what they want. As long as it's 3D and the right size for the class let 'er rip ! I'm a SPAD guy and from what I've seen the Pro Bro's kind of share the same ideas of the spad philosophy. It's not so much about what kind of plane you fly, but about being with a tight knit group that's willing to help each other and go the distance to increase the fun factor. I'm no expert, but if you allow a little open flying each day, it'll sure go a long way to making everyone happy. Competition is great, but fun is better.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:48 PM

RC_Junky,
No problem. I knew I was going to catch a little flak!

I was thinking with all the interest and energy that I see on this project that it would be great for other guys to be able to attend and compete even though their funfly might not be a profile. I could see this turning into a big annual event for many small plane owners to enjoy if that were the case. I like the idea of a funfly/3D/freestyle type get together that you don't have to have a $4-6k airplane to be competitive. I joined the Brotherhood a few months back with the hope of what I described. I have no more input since I see now how this will turn out. I was just hoping for something more. I'll have a qualifying plane no matter what.

Wade
Old 01-16-2003, 10:11 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Cool!!! Thats about 4.5 miles from my house.
Thanks for giving us a shot here in Napoleon; Perry & staff.
We'll try not to dissapoint you. We've got a hard working, tight knit group when it comes to showtime. And we all like to have fun too.
A few people seem to be concerned this will turn into a "serious competition". And there will be some very talented pilots there, thats no joke!
But I ain't one of 'em, and I'm gonna fly anyway. Because it's fun, and all my freinds will be there, and I'll get to meet and make some more. Oh yeah, I'll probably get to eat a pig or a chicken too!
I hope all of you can make it here in August!!
Old 01-17-2003, 04:24 AM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.