Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight Edge 540...questions

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Extreme Flight Edge 540...questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:34 PM
HitecMan
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme Flight Edge 540...questions

I have bought one with a Satio 72 and here come the questions....

1. How can i set the throttle if i can't see the carb?...

2. What should my throws be on low and high?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:24 PM
John Baligrodzki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Extreme Flight Edge 540...questions

If you know which way is full throttle and which is idle it will not be difficult to set it up. I will assume you are using a computer radio of some sort. Set your ATV to 100% and set the throttle trim up most of the way. Next open the throttle all the way. Then set the servo arm in what you think is about the right place. Tighten the linkage and slowly close the throttle. if after you close the throttle the servo starts buzzing then you need to reduce the throw as it is moving too far. At this point I would move the connector in one hole on the servo arm to reduce the throw and try again. The goal is to get the linkage set up so the throttle works properly while keeping your ATV rate at about 100%. Servos work best at 100% and higher percentages. When you get below 100% the servo resolution is not as good.

If after you close the throttle you hear no buzzing I would then close the throttle trim. Lets say you close the trim and the servo just starts to buzz you are probably pretty close. If you hear nothing you may still be close. Then you can try increasing the ATV to see how much it takes for the servo to buzz indicating the throttle is completely closed.

Another way to check this is to fully close the throttle and shut off the switch on the aircraft. Then pudh the throttle closed or open the rest of the way to see how far you need to go.

After you get it as close as you can then gas her up and try it out. I would do this at home. That way you have it all set before you go out to fly. When you fire it up at home make sure the aircraft is restrained as you do not know where exactly the throttle is set and how it will respond when started.

As fgor throws I would start with exactly what the manual tells you. Thats how I set mine up. The low rates are plenty high enough for your first flights. I would also put in about 50% EXPO on the controls. The manual says there favorite CG position is 1" behind the main spar. I found that a bit far back so I moved it up to the rear edge of the spar.

This plane is a kick to fly. Loops very tight, hovers easily and they are not kidding when they say the rudder is highly effective. This plane will hold a fairly slow knife edge with at most .5" rudder. Very easy to knife edge loop. It is an excellent 3D training ship. Also there is very little coupling of cotrols.

Good luck.

John B.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:28 PM
HitecMan
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really new to 3d... what does expo do, and should i put 50% on alie, rudd, and throttle. Also i dont have the manual so i dont have the throws.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:12 PM
John Baligrodzki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are the throws.

Elevator low rate 10 degrees each way. High rate 45 degrees.
Ailerons low rate 15 degrees each way. High rate 35 to 45 degrees.
Rudder low rate 15 degrees wach way. High rate as much as possible.

Go with low rates on your first flight! I do not have my elevator and aileron high rates as high as the manual says for high rate and it is plenty enough for me to handle.

As for the exponetial I would start with about 40% for all flying surfaces. The throttle normally will not need exponetial. If you are using a Futaba radio you want this to be -40%. With no exp when you move the stick a little the control surface moves a little. Move the stick a bit more and the surface moves a bit more. Move the stick a bunch and the controls move a bunch. The stick movement and control surface movement are linear.

With exponential as you move the stick further from center the control surface moves exponetially faster and to the maximum amount of travel. Near the maximum stick amount of stick travel a small movement cause a much greater amount of control surface travel.

This is nice as on high rates you can set up the aircraft on high rates so around neutral stick position the airplane is easy to fly. But if you move the sticks to the corners the control surfaces will very quickly reach there throw limits. 3D aircraft use large amounts of control surface travel to achieve some very cool things. However if you have not tried this type of flying before, get some proper instruction as the control throws needed could get you into trouble very quickly.

The good news is if you go with the low rate throws and a conservitive CG you will find this airplane to be a good flyer with no bad habits.

Regards,

John B.