Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

56" Yak 55 ???????

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 06:59 PM
My Feedback: (97)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 56" Yak 55 ???????

Ok. Finished the covering today. Thank GOD. I hate covering. It is my least favorite. I can scratch build a plane faster than covering it. GRRR.

Anyways. Everything is hinged and covered. The bottom is a blank canvas of white. I'd like to first see how it flies before I go further into details with more covering. If it doesn't fly right it will be a waste of time. Either that or it will make a great static display.

Here's some pics. I took a side shot to help show the taper in the ail. There isn't a ton, but there is some taper. Maybe next weekend it will be airborne!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23604.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	553849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35560.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	553850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65310.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	553851  
Old 11-06-2006, 07:48 PM

I finally finished the plane. It took a while as I wasn't feeling very well this weekend. She is ready to fly though, minus one servo arm screw for a 5625mg. Which I better not forget!!!!!!!!

I hope to put her in the air this weekend if weather is good and I'm feeling up to it.

Here's some finished pics. How do you like the Throws???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99777.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	555508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72473.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	555509  
Old 11-07-2006, 02:04 AM

Yipeee! Finito ey? Can't wait to hear the final verdict. Good job Iowa she looks very good! I like it. Are you going to weigh her for us? How did the CG work out? Oh and most important of course, is there going to be a nice video that is not hosted on stupid putfile or something where us dialup users can't view it? Hehehehe
Old 11-07-2006, 02:32 AM

I will hope to get video of maiden flight friday or sat. My inlaws are coming and they have a digital video camera. I'll tell him to bring it. He'll be thrilled to tape it, I'm sure. Just hope the weather is good. Fri. is supose to be sunny and 70. Just hope the wind isn't blowing 100mph.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:42 AM

You don't know yet? The wind is always howling when you have to do a maiden? Well it has always been the case here with me.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:59 AM

Today I got 4 good flights on the new Yak. I'm very impressed with it. The Sa100gk pulls it around with tons of authority and I'm running 20%coopers with it. Sorry guys I don't know how much it weighs, but a guestamate would be around 6.5lbs.

It did survive today with minor injuries. On the first flight I noticed some fluttering in the elevator. I immediately shut the throttle down. It needs tail braces. I was going to add these before hand, but wanted to test the waters a bit first. It could be my linkage also as there was a bit of play, but not much. I landed it and checked it out. Nothing broken. However, after getting home one side of the h.stab is loose. Compliments of a violent parachute. I'm just glad it's in one piece.

So anyways. It balances at 8" behind the LE. I've got the Sa 100 up front with a 10oz Dubro tank. I have my 6V 1700mah NiMH in the front LE portion of the wing. Hitec 5625mg's on all surfaces and a JR mini for throttle tucked under the LE of the wing. A nice CF tail wheel keeps the rudder out of the dirt.

The thin wings really make this thing fly great. It tracks well especially in the wind. I had a 5-6mph cross wind and it didn't bother it at all. Just a tad bit of rudder to keep it tracking staight. Inverted is spot on at this CG location. I had to do no weight transfering or addition of lead. I like my models a tad bit more nose heavy though, but it's great the way it is. I'll acheive this after putting the muffler on. Mine is stripped and fell off first flight. Lets see. It tumbles great, flat spins are the ****, flatter than all get out. I would land it in a flat spin, but I think the williams gear isn't up to the task. KE are great with absulutely NO coupling towards canopy or belly. Very little ail. are needed to keep it from rolling out in KE. Snaps are right on and extremely violent. Waterfalls are very tight and you have to lay off the elevator a bit to get a really nice waterfall, otherwise if you just slam it forward, it does the waterfall too quickly. Harriers great with none to very little wing rock. Rolls are blistering fast as you can imagine.

I designed this plane to fit my flying style and how I'd want a plane to fly. I really like the thinner wings as you can see. They seem to track a lot better, but they seem just as stable as a thicker wing. Even though they probably aren't. I really wanted HUGE foiled rons. It's something no one has offered and something I really like. When I'm on the deck hovering and I want that plane to roll to the right or left immediately. I want it now, not a few seconds later. With these ail., the plane does just that. I noticed no adverse affects from them either. No fluttering or tip stalling etc.

I plan on flying it tomorrow and maybe getting a video of it on Sat. Can't wait to get more personal with it.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:49 AM
My Feedback: (45)

Wow duuude... sounds great..... Seems like pretty kick ass plane..... Glad it's working out for you!

I had a thought on the tail surfaces.... When they get this large, I think sheeting 1 side with 1/16" balsa would really stiffen them up and reduce any likelyhood of flutter....
Old 11-09-2006, 12:09 PM

Paul:

I did exactly that. I really liked how stiff your Mojo 65 tail section is. I framed it up with 1/4" balsa then slapped 1/16" sheeting on one side. I am supprised it did flutter, because the tail section is extremely stiff. Maybe I need to frame it up with 5/16" and sheet it. making it 3/8" thick. We shall see.

I still need to change a lot of stuff on the prints.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:56 PM

Do you think the foiled rons are better than the old flat plate versions?
Old 11-09-2006, 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: PaulSwany

Yes I do. They seem much more responsive. Even on the Fusions they have good authority. The rons. on this Yak are extremely oversized, but that's how I like em for use on the deck. You can always back off or hit a switch for normal flying.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:03 PM

ORIGINAL: IowaSilvia

Yes I do. They seem much more responsive. Even on the Fusions they have good authority. The rons. on this Yak are extremely oversized, but that's how I like em for use on the deck. You can always back off or hit a switch for normal flying.
I agree. With the foiled rons for some reason, you get better response with less throw. I love this plane dude......We have a soft spot for 55s at Copperhead....
Old 11-09-2006, 01:05 PM

Duuuude.. what's the total stab are to wing area ratio on this beast? I'm also wondering where the center of pressure sits in relation to the tail moment and nose moment....
Old 11-09-2006, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: novabill

ORIGINAL: IowaSilvia

I agree. With the foiled rons for some reason, you get better response with less throw. I love this plane dude......We have a soft spot for 55s at Copperhead....
Bill. I love the Yak 55 and the 54. They are great birds.. I also like the Sukhois and I believe I'm going to have to start on a sukhio for my next project.

I've been wanting a 60 size Yak 55 for over a yr. now and nothing has come about, so I had to do something to fill my needs.

Paul: Sent PM to ya.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:58 AM

Wooohooo! Congrats on the maiden Iowa! Really glad to hear she flies as well. Must feel great to build something from the pink stuff and have it meet your expectations and more? You have to get us video!
Old 11-10-2006, 08:42 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Iowa,

Congrats again! Foiled rons are much more effective than flat. The Fusions are the perfect example of this. Sheeting on one side of a frame is not going to yield much improvement Iowa with regards to torsional stiffness. Laterally it will but not in a twisting fashion. You need to sheet both sides to "complete the box" in order to REALLY make it stiff. Look at the stabs on my bigger profiles like the 80" Edge for example. 1/4" framing sheeting both sides with 1/16" balsa. Very stiff both laterally and torsionally.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iowa,

Looks superb, flys as well as it looks. Congratulations, that is a tremendous feeling to design your own and have it work so well.

So, are you distributing plans, selling plans, selling short kits, what? Now that you have shown all of us, you can't just keep it to yourself, you know.

Mark
Old 11-20-2006, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iowa,

Any more news or flying reports on the Yak?

Mark
Old 11-21-2006, 04:06 AM

ORIGINAL: mmattockx

Iowa,

Any more news or flying reports on the Yak?

Mark

Yeah. I've taken it out a couple more times and got several more flights on it. Just can't get enough of this plane. The foiled rons work great and I couldn't have asked for anything better.

My father in law is working on getting a video uploaded to his computer that he shot last weekend. It is probably 5-7 min. It was kinda windy that day, but you can tell it's a perfomer.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:54 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Well good luck with the weather Iowa. We had our first snow dusting yesterday.[:'(] Might be putting them snow skies on my profiles soon.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:22 AM

ORIGINAL: AFSalmon

Well good luck with the weather Iowa. We had our first snow dusting yesterday.[:'(] Might be putting them snow skies on my profiles soon.
That's why I moved from Iowa to Missouri. Can't stand that bitter cold, wind, and snow. The last 2 yrs. have been very mild here. I can at least get out twice a month to fly in the winter time. Suppose to be 70 here tomorrow, 65 on Turkey day. I know what I'll be doing after dinner.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:00 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Can't wait to see that video, Brent! [8D]
Old 11-22-2006, 02:16 AM

V I D E O!!! Video! Video! Video! LOL
Old 11-25-2006, 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Spacey

V I D E O!!! Video! Video! Video! LOL

Just for you Spacey and Razor!! V V V Vidddeooooooooo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HwIxXkuP0c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIEy1KpXDDE

Was pretty breezy out yesterday, so I had to fight it a bit. I'm not the best of pilots, but learning.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:28 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Sweet vidoes Bro! It looks like a great flying bird! [8D]
Old 11-30-2006, 02:37 AM

Ditto! I had a little trouble viewing the youtube stuff with my dial up connection but managed to watch them some. The plane really behaves well in all attitudes! Congrats Iowa!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.