Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight Edge 540 T Profile - Dead Horse Department

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Extreme Flight Edge 540 T Profile - Dead Horse Department

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 07:11 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight Edge 540 T Profile - Dead Horse Department

You did such a nice job on the build and thread... I've enjoyed following it, and there's plenty of great tips... especially for those that like their planes to look as nice as it can.

Glad the first few flights are behind you... as you fly it more, you'll enjoy it more and more...
Old 12-16-2006, 02:28 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Congrats Eric on getting it assembled and in the air. I still have two of these and they are lots of fun.
Jeff
Old 12-17-2006, 01:48 PM
JustErik

David and Jeff,

Thanks for the kind words. I learned a lot putting this thing together.

Erik
Old 12-17-2006, 07:50 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that. Pretty sweet. Would have never thought of it myself.
ORIGINAL: Maudib

Most excellent build and skills... thanks for sharing... Nearly brilliant idea for getting the servo in the tight spaces... woulda never occured to me... consider that an idea "borrowed" permanently.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Jerry Brown

Great thread but now I have a question. I almost have mine together but I now have some doubts about the strength of the hor. stab. Crash99 on the ProBro site folded the elevator on his at the Eldon flyin ,I heard, so I was told it might be good to support it with a couple of carbon rods or something. Anyone heard of this from others???
Old 12-18-2006, 09:47 AM
JustErik

ORIGINAL: Jerry Brown

Great thread but now I have a question. I almost have mine together but I now have some doubts about the strength of the hor. stab. Crash99 on the ProBro site folded the elevator on his at the Eldon flyin ,I heard, so I was told it might be good to support it with a couple of carbon rods or something. Anyone heard of this from others???
It's funny you mention that, Jerry. I was initially under the impression that this plane would turn out nose heavy and instead of adding dead weight, my plan was to add struts to the horiz stab. However, because it was very close to being tail heavy, I had to scrap that idea. I haven't read anything about the stab being weak, but will certainly keep an eye on it after your comment.

And thanks, mrbigg.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Always remove the covering with a soldering iron... it doesn't take much for a sharp razor knife to weaken the stab by cutting into it a few "hairs".

If a fella was so inclined, he could do flying wires using Kevlar Thread... Just drill a VERY small pilot hole around the stab/fin/fuse and thread the line through it making a diamond... wedge a toothpick in the holes and then CA the thread/plug in place...

Not sure it's necessary though...
Old 12-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Jerry Brown

I do like the simple idea of the kevlar thread. I was hoping Jeff would be reading this and see what he thinks. I have not read anything about this being a problem but after finding out crash99 had the problem, I'm just not sure what to do. The other reason I am a little concerned is because when I added a couple of new CA hinge slots I was rather alarmed a how easy they were cut. Like the balsa was softer than I would use on a trailing edge. Anyway, maybe I'm worried about nothing but I had one fail on an ARF once and it is NOT a good thing. Crash city.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:08 AM
JustErik

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Always remove the covering with a soldering iron... it doesn't take much for a sharp razor knife to weaken the stab by cutting into it a few "hairs".

If a fella was so inclined, he could do flying wires using Kevlar Thread... Just drill a VERY small pilot hole around the stab/fin/fuse and thread the line through it making a diamond... wedge a toothpick in the holes and then CA the thread/plug in place...

Not sure it's necessary though...
I'm filing this one away for future use. So very simple and probably adds so little weight it's not even noticeable. As always, thanks for the benefit of your experience.