Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Speedy Bee from Clancy

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Speedy Bee from Clancy

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedy Bee from Clancy

How about the Speedy Bee from Clancy Aviation ? I have a chance to buy one cheap with a OS 30 Surpass on it, and thought it might be neat to have one of those small bee's. Just throw in the car, and fly anywhere on an empty lot (like at lunchtime). So, how about that plane and engine combo, as well as aerobatic capabilities ? I guess it will probably not 3D, but I don't want it to be just a circle flier either.
Anybody out there flying one, or has flown one ? Please comment !
Thanks
Old 01-21-2003, 04:47 PM
Flipper
My Feedback: (3)

I bought a kit and a surpass .26 for one and don't have it built yet. I saw the Clancy video and they look like you can fly them wild if you set the throws up to be that way. I have a big lazy bee with the 60" span and a .52 surpass and it is set up wild and I can fly the entire flight at 6' off the ground if I want to, lots of fun. Not like a 3D profile but lots of fun and people love to watch it.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:09 PM
rwh

I had one with an Enya 0.35 two stroke on it. It originally had an OS 0.25 two stroke, but that wasn't enough.

It was a lot of fun with the Enya and was a wild looking thing, with my "troll" pilot and the flourescent orange hair!

One day the wings folded up in a spin, and that was the end of that...
Old 01-21-2003, 05:43 PM
Texas 3D

looks like it might be a neat little capable flier ! What servos did you guys use in it ?
Old 01-22-2003, 01:00 AM
bigbigjoe
My Feedback: (2)

Default rwh or anyone else

How does this plane fly inverted with the flat bottom airfoil?Some of the newer ARF'S with a flat bottom airfoil fly with almost no down elevator at slow speed.The Thunder Tiger slow Cub and Mustang are examples of this. Also the Sig Rascal40.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:19 AM
Billy Hell

I want the stagger bee with the ailerwing kit. They say that thing will do anything.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:49 AM
Texas 3D

well, brought the Speedy Bee home tonight
$125 with OS 26 Surpass (not 30 like I thought), and all JR 517 Servos including Charge Switch, and battery. Was not able to talk them down to $100
Oh well, I think it was a good deal anyway, because the Bee has only been flown once ! Looks brand spanking new (will post picture later)

Anybody has any idea where the CG is supposed to Bee on this thing ?
Old 01-27-2003, 03:37 PM
Texas 3D

GUESS WHAT ?????
My Speedy Bee turned out to bee a NEWBEE form Adrian Page. My flying buddy told me that he has the same one. I looked it up, and yes it is definitely a Newbee !
Well, I guess it doesn't matter because I test flew here on Saturday and was really really happy with that little Beast. Looks like it might even hover I say "looks like" because I only got one flight in before it started to rain. She actually was flying pretty nice in the wind (15-20mph), and didn't mind it at all.
Well, the kids will love to see her fly, because it actually looks like a little cartoon plane puttering thru the skies. Now I have to find a neat little pilot for her.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:16 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

The newbee is a great looking little plane.

I bought the plans about 3years ago, when you had to strach build it. I never never build it. I think now the Adrian is now kitting the whole plane.

I would be willing to bet, that if you build this plane, and put the right size control surfaces on it, It would be a great little funflyer.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:51 AM
bigbigjoe

Default aileron servos

Are you guys using two servos for ailerons? I am planning on building one of these and I figure with my computer radio I can use airbrakes and aileron - elevator coupling to do some really tight loops. Also I have an O.S. 26 Surpass I am planning to use on this plane. Will that be enough power to hover ?
Old 01-28-2003, 03:56 AM
Texas 3D

I really don't know if there is enough room for two servos. Maybe Micro ones, but not sure since I didn't build it. I definitely would go with a larger engine like a Saito 30 or OS 30 for hovering. I think I will swap out mine (OS 26) for the same purpose for a Saito 30.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:56 AM
imsofaman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If interested.....here is a link to my homepage with my Speedy Bee. I installed an OS 40 FS on mine inverted. It will hang on the prop all day! I love my Bee! Lots of fun. No one else at my field has one so it is nice to have something different.

http://home.att.net/~imsofaman/dave_...c_homepage.htm
Old 03-03-2003, 08:19 PM
DonH21

What's a Newbee?
Old 03-03-2003, 09:49 PM
Texas 3D

Originally posted by DonH21
What's a Newbee?
go to www.adrianpage.com There you will find more info on the Newbee. Flies cute by the way. With enough power, you can hover it all day long. Probably need a 40 four banger though. With th Saito 30 it will hover, but fall out after a while. No unlimited vertical with the 30.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:22 PM
imsofaman

What a nice looking kit! Wow, kind of makes me wish I would have picked up one of thase at some point. Lazer cut parts along with the vacum formed parts makes it a much better deal than the Speedy Bee. I hate to admit that because I really enjoy the Speedy Bee. Who know....I may just buy one ( New Bee ) for the Hell of it. If anything happens to my next Speedy Bee, I will not buy another kit, I will scratch build. They are getting way too expensive for the amount of work you have to put into it.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:07 AM
eekflyer

Is this NewBee truly a floater ? I've read (one) post stating it was "squirrely". It seems to be shorter in length than a Speedy Bee....comments ?
Old 03-04-2003, 03:47 PM
Texas 3D

nah, it isn't to squirrelly ! But it isn't a floater either. You don't really have to worry about snapping out or stalling over the wing. It will fly by with just a couple of clicks of throttle. Sloooow. Lands within 10 feet maybe. Does all the things you want. It is not a 3D plane but isn't a trainer either. It's cool to just throw in the car, and fly maybe during lunch. Fits on the passenger seat in your car.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:49 PM
eekflyer

Thanks Texas3D ! Now if I could find credible info on how to electrify the NewBee without going brushless...
Old 03-04-2003, 10:42 PM
imsofaman

Go with a Master Airscrew geared 550 or use a reversed rotation motor for monster trucks with the gear box. This gives awesome torque and use a six or seven cell 2400 sub C racing pack and you should bee in business. I did that with a Speedy Bee and works great. The New Bee should "Bee" a breeze to convert.....sorry for the bad pun!
Old 03-04-2003, 10:48 PM
conkster

Default squirelly

it was my yard bee with a tt gp 07 i said was squirelly. well i moved the cg forward about 1/4 inch & tamed the throws down. now it flys better as long as i don`t go past 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. i think the gp 07 engine is just too much engine for this plane!
conk
Old 03-04-2003, 11:42 PM
imsofaman

I had a LA 15 in my Yard Bee. I had to move the wing up 3/4" forward to allow for proper CG. That allowed me to make a small frame support for the leading edge of the wing. The rubber band thing holding the wing was a joke. When I was done....that little plane ripped up the sky!!!!! I had enough throw on the rudder that I could actually do a somewhat of a barrel roll with just the rudder and elevader. Truly amazing....
Go to my home page... http://home.att.net/~imsofaman/dave_...c_homepage.htm
There are photos of it before and after I totally transformed the plane into a mini Speedy Bee.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	60373_16849.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	30245  
Old 03-05-2003, 01:19 AM
eekflyer

Thanks imsofaman and conkster.

I wonder too if the NewBee is as light of an airframe as the Speedy. I asked Adrian, he recommended brushless. I'd think a MMR/3.1 on 8-cells should work. At least I'd HOPE so. Guess I'll have to try. Sounds like the kit builds well, too, based on a conversation with another modeler regarding the NewBee.

Eric
Old 03-05-2003, 02:06 AM
imsofaman

Eric,
As far as I am concerned, the Speedy bee is way too much money. For the kind of money they are asking....the kit should be a little more high tech. Some things on the plans are just WRONG! My ailerons looked like crap the first time I made a Bee. I followed the directions to the "T" Later on when I was doing another one did I discovered that the bottom edge of the aileron should be in a different location so the aileron does not bind when pointing down. Andy Clancy wanted us to really work to finish the model. Some things are overkill and some things needed reinforcements. If I were to do it over and choose between the kits, I think I would have chosen the New Bee. I have to buy on soon just to see how it flys. If I buy one....it will be electric. I feel my easy type of conversion with the Monster truck reverse rotation motor, Master Air Screw gear box and a 2400 battery would be the way to go. Brushless would be awesome, but I would not buy it just for this model. Go the cheap way and if it flys good, then go brushless.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:42 AM
eekflyer

Dave, thanks for the straight info on the Speedy Bee. Sounds like the New Bee would "bee" (sorry) the way to go. If you build one, please keep us posted ...
Old 03-05-2003, 04:53 AM
DFWS
My Feedback: (8)

Default Speedy Bees Rule!!!!!!!!

Here is a pic of my Speedy Bee!
Built by the Z-Man
Covered in black monokote and Neon Yellow trim.
Futaba Radio, Hitec 225 servos, except on throtle a Futaba 3101
micro.
Engine OS MAX .26 Surpass 4 - stroke, now has a new OS Max .30 4 - stroke!! "More Power!" 15 minute flight times!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	60472_15202.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	30246  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.