Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 What happened to the Copperhead Stiffys?? >

What happened to the Copperhead Stiffys??

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

What happened to the Copperhead Stiffys??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:15 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What happened to the Copperhead Stiffys??

Brad, some comapnies don't really care how they do business... The sales industry is full of different ideas on how to approach a potential customer. I hate junk mail, I hate cold calls, and I hate spam.

Personally, I do not see RCGroups selling/giving your addy to anyone. Jim Bourke just doesn't seem like that kind of guy. I do not know him personally, but it just does not match his other business behaviors, all of which demonstrate integrity. I have no proof, but I do not think that Jim would have anything to do with that. I was wrong once. Uhhhhhhhhh, I think I was wrong once...

Anyway, 800 flights is a pretty good indicator that the Stiffy is just as tough as we say it is, am I right?
Old 06-30-2007, 07:19 AM

Tim, The RimFire was a real pain in the @&&!!! To get it all right, I purchased Motor Calc 8, a Watts Up meter and numerous props. I ended up using a RimFire 28-30-1250 (probably should have used the 28-30-950, but more is always better lol), Silver Series 25 amp speed control, Electrifly 4 ch receiver (had a castle creations Berg 4 that was bad out of the box), Electrifly 1500 20C LiPo power series balanced packs, Futaba S3114 HT servos, and a APC 10x3.8 Slow Flyer prop. This setup is yielding approx. 10 -12 minutes flight time and has extreme vertical performance. But as I stated before, I had to build a custom motor mount from lexan (pic attached) to mount the RimFire because of the 3 hole configuration of their mount, which took some time. Plane weight is 18 oz without battery and 22 oz with the 1500 lipo.

As far as flying, the Stiffy really does fly like a much bigger plane. It is quite surprising how fast it will fly (I'm guessing 50 mph at full throttle level), yet will slow down to a crawl with very little wing rock. But don't get lulled into a false sense of security, as the nose will fall very quickly (like a big plane) if you're not quick on the throttle. Very clean snaps, hovers and torque rolls, knife edge had slight pulling to the landing gear, but no roll coupling, and harriers great. Inverted and upright flat spins are easy to get into and can actually get the plane to climb while in them, but I've had difficulty coming out of them cleanly. The only maneuver I can't seem to get is a waterfall. The plane does it in the blink of an eye, but always falls off to the right if I don't compensate with some rudder and never comes out smoothly. I can perform a very clean waterfall with my V2 Katana and other foamies, but for some reason can't get with this plane. Maybe too much elevator or something.

Overall, I am pleased with the plane and would only make a few changes with it: The landing gear keeps bending and will eventually break. I will be upgrading it to carbon fiber soon. If I were building another Stiffy, I would upgrade the hardware to Dubro (control horns, rods, etc.), as the including stuff is very cheep and uses z-bends and 2 peice wooden horns. Finally, I love the snake skin and wish they had covered the tail sections in it, has I have already had to repair the balanced section of the elevator when it caught some high grass on a surprise landing (speed control cuts out without much warning and I was having a ton of fun). Great plane, definitely not for beginners, as the stiffy performs violently on high rates and is supper fast. With an upgraded hardware kit, this could be one of the best fomies on the market. Thanks Tim.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:10 AM

I recieved the mounts yesterday. Thanks Tim.

By the way have you ever considered making a stiffy bi-plane. I would be first on the list for one.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:33 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Hmmmmm... A Boxxer Stiffy...[8D]
Old 08-12-2007, 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: TailTwister

Hmmmmm... A Boxxer Stiffy...[8D]

How about it Tim.

A nice Stiffy bi-plane
Old 12-26-2008, 02:26 PM

I can't understand why I can't find ANYTHING on Copperhead Aviation.
Did these guys go out of business?

The original Extra Stiffy is the best flying plane I've ever had my thumbs on and I'm wanting a new one.
Where can I get one?

Please.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:39 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Yeah I was looking to get one a while back but I cant find them now...
Old 12-27-2008, 01:50 PM

I think Tim took a hike somewhere and got lost. You can still find them at [link=http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/models/index.htm]OMP[/link]
Old 12-28-2008, 05:40 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Natch

I can't understand why I can't find ANYTHING on Copperhead Aviation.
Did these guys go out of business?

The original Extra Stiffy is the best flying plane I've ever had my thumbs on and I'm wanting a new one.
Where can I get one?

Please.

Yes sir, the Extra Stiffy's a re well and alive at OMP. Great plane for flying around the yard or park! I shortened the nose on my Extra by 1 3/4" to match the length of the Yak Stiffy and WOW, what a totally different plane. It is a 3D monster now.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:33 PM

It was a fine plane. I just simply can't put any more patches on mine.
That's why my new Stiffy is already on it's way here.
Thanks to all for the replies and PMs.

Happy Landings.