Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Solid balsa sheet Profile 3-D E-plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Solid balsa sheet Profile 3-D E-plane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:33 AM
sax2ter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid balsa sheet Profile 3-D E-plane?

I spent a lot of time searching through many forums and posts before posting here, so please don't yell at me if my question is already out there somewhere:

Does anybody have any experience with designing or building solid balsa sheet profile "foamies"? If someone out there made a kit or ARF, I would be thrilled, but left to my own devices, I have been known to experiment.

Basically, I am tired of my Great Pains and Phase 3 foamies fragging at the slightest hint of a rough touch down, and came up with the notion that I would trace around a Phase 3 Edge 540 profile foamie to make patterns, and then take solid balsa sheet, (or thin lite ply), to duplicate the design in, (possibly covering with Monokote to finish).

My hope is that after strategically drilling lightening holes, wherever possible, that I will come up with a plane that doesn’t weight significantly more than the average profile foamy, but will be a heck of a lot tougher and more durable.

I see lots of guys out there doing built up fuses and wings, so I know that works, but I want to try to come up with something that is quicker to build, light, and durable, which hopefully flies well too.

I see a lot of bigger nitro planes that have flat balsa tail feathers that are drilled for lightness, plenty rigid, and weigh practically nothing after being covered with heat shrink.

Please respond with your thoughts, experiences, pictures, plans, links, etc. I am eager to hear about others with similar wishes.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this.

Sincerely,

Sax2ter
Old 05-03-2007, 10:37 AM
buildflycrash

Default RE: Solid balsa sheet Profile 3-D E-plane?

I say give it a shot. I have not seen one but I think you could cut lots of big lightening holes and cover it with doculam or Ultrakote Light.

My self, I would buy a balsa kit plane that is designed for the wieght you have power for. I like the Skeeter30" -12oz (Now comes as ARF) or my personal favorate is a Yeti- 35" wing and 14oz.

If you build it take lots of photos and keep us updated.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:05 AM
piroflip2

Default RE: Solid balsa sheet Profile 3-D E-plane?

hi sax2ter

I went through the same thoughts as you and ended up going the EPP route.
The only trouble is that even stiffened up with carbon they are still rather floppy.
They are though, virtually unbreakable and I'm surprised that they are not more popular with the foamie crowd.
I have a "Blade" epp with 18 months of abuse and not a mark on it. (see my review on this site).