Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Magic owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 04:14 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For what its worth

Just saw this thread. I have had a Magic 3D since 2001, I have one of the prototypes with the 1 piece wings. I modified mine to have huge counterbalanced control surfaces on the tail. While the plane is a blast I wanted more out of this kind of design. At the end of last season I bought a Weston Cougar 2000 and put a Irvine 53 up front. I now think that I can tell you without a doubt that the Weston is a better plane. The fully semetrical wing is the ticket. Funny thing though is the more weight I add to the tail on the Cougar the better it flys I have added 3 oz. so far and I plan on adding another until it gets bad.. I stress the heck out of the plane with the Irvine and it takes everything I shove at it. The vertical performance is breathtaking and It snaps perfect. Just thought I would add my experiences with the 2 planes into the fray. Mike
Old 05-05-2003, 04:25 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magic owners thread

Thats Great Joey. Mine did a great climbing spin as well. Try setting up flaperons if you have a computer radio for really tight loops and waterfalls. The coolest thing I could do with mine consistently was to pull vertical, wait til it almost stalled, punched full down elevator, full throttle, and do stationary outside loops (waterfalls), and then feed in a little bit of rudder, and take it into a climbing inverted flatspin. Rotation would be tight (within a fuselength), and would climb until I chopped the throttle. I may have to get another one, just to have as a daily flyer. I had mine so long, it is now sorely missed. It flew in 5 different states, because I took it with me whereever I went on business travel (have to have somethin to do when stuck in a hotel lololol).

Good Luck and keep the updates coming.
Steve
Old 05-05-2003, 05:30 PM
fishgod
My Feedback: (13)

Wade,
I am currently running YS 20/20. I have tried the following props

APC
11x5
11.5x4
11x3
Topflite Power Point
11x4
11x5
Zinger
11x4

I am going to get some APC 11x4 APC's and test them out. The APC 11x3 is running 11500 at a slightly rich state.

I will get some more time on it and try some other props.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:50 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS
My Feedback: (1)

Who sells the Weston? Sound like it might be a worth while investment?
Old 05-06-2003, 12:44 AM
coomarlin

Weston UK sells the cougar and it is supposed to be quite a plane. The unfortunate thing is that there aren't any US distributors of the Weston Models that I know of. You'll have to buy direct from Weston and they end up costing nearly $200 shipped. That is very high for that type of plane. There was a US company that sold the cougar for $125, but they have since gone under.

I'm waiting for the Wingtote Heckler to come out. It is supposedly better than the cougar and much better than the Magic. I was told by wingtote that the Heckler would be here in the states by June. Tower will sell it for $115. I was also told that it would have a better covering scheme than the one Tower shows in their picture.

Originally posted by BUCKETOBOLTS
Who sells the Weston? Sound like it might be a worth while investment?
Old 05-08-2003, 11:17 AM
tailspnr

Someone needs to import the Weston Cougar. It definately looks like it would be a fine plane. But I think I'd have to opt for the Heckler when it comes out just based off the price even though I think the design of the Weston looks a little better. Unless ofcourse someone could import the Cougar for the $125 again.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:51 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Modelbau usa

This company imports the Weston Magnum which is the 200MPH speedster that they sell. I emailed them but they didn't respond. Yes it would be a nice thing and also the east coast hobby shop that I bought it from that is now defunct must have ripped me off because I payed $160 for the plane last August
Old 05-08-2003, 12:07 PM
tailspnr

You know it appears that those chaps accross the pond have alot of nice really nice FF and 3D planes that I'd personally like to see over here. Maybe its just a price thing that prevents them from being brought over.....dont know but I'd sure like to be able to get my hands on some of that stuff at a reasonable price.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:43 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Hey Scott..I have the Cougar. I picked it up from a guy in Abilene on the way home from Houston.

I'm on the light/small end of the power scale with a Jett .30, but it flys great. Nothing as powerful as an Irvine .53!! I don't have a lot of time on it but it's looking like it'll be a blast.

Do a search for a post by jsonin something like "Weston Cougar in the US??" or something..a guy told him there were 6 or something in a hobby shop in Mass.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:22 PM
ksflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Since we are talking about the magic, I must share something. I have heard ans seen first hand the landing gear problem before. My friend had one snap off on the second soft landing. I am finishing up mine. I reached in and picked up the gear, it broke in my hands!

KsFlyer
Old 05-09-2003, 02:59 AM
tailspnr

Auger, I thought you were going to offer me yours there for a second. I'll have to see what I can come up with. Thanks.

KSFlyer, I'll tell you first hand myself that the gear is extremely brittle. Mine has literally been in 5......yes 5 different pieces after a little incident in Houston. And if you can believe it I managed to repair the entire gear....one piece at a time. I have since gotten many flights on it. I simply treat the gear with a little more respect now and havent had a problem.

The gear itself has two main problems:
1. the gear likes to break at the welds....easily
2. the gear will bend easily if it doesnt break
3. if the gear didnt break but only bent....it will break when you attempt to straighten it.

well maybe thats 3 problems

I would recommend wrapping every single weld with thin wire and soldering them just to hold the welds. Then just be somewhat easy on the gear and if you do bend them you can straighten them out without fear of breaking the welds. Ive also heard that installing them backwards helps to keep the lower welds from breaking.

Notice that where I made the one repair to the left side, it was actually broken completely off about 1.5" up from the axle at the welds. I attached two pieces of coat hanger, wrapped them with wire and soaked that baby with solder. It aint real purdy but it's been holding together.....much to my suprise.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	76995_14475.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	37453  
Old 05-09-2003, 03:00 AM
tailspnr

And all of the welds just under the MCP are wrapped and soldered as well.........as they were all seperated during the crash in Houston.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:46 PM
tailspnr

Update, the Magic died last Saturday when a sudden impact with the asphalt runway abrubtly ended her life.....but the landing gear actually survived....unscaved. Imagine that!!!

I just ordered the Fun Air 3D 40 from Jet hobbies. It looks like a great replacement for the Magic. I just hope it flies as well as the Magic did.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:19 PM
Dangerous Dan

Don't feel bad I did the same thing to my Pizzas and I just Recieced my Fun-Air 40 see picture
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	86212_11575.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	37454  
Old 06-23-2003, 01:47 PM
Dangerous Dan

Default fun air 40 pics

all,
I started construction of my Fun Air 40 here are some pics, it looks size and weight comparable to the magic, It has a symmetrical wing, tank and reciever and it'll be done the maden flight should be this week

pic 1
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2003, 01:47 PM
Dangerous Dan

pic 2
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2003, 01:48 PM
Dangerous Dan

pic 3
Old 06-23-2003, 01:49 PM
Dangerous Dan

woops pic 3 again
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2003, 01:50 PM
Dangerous Dan

tailspnr did you get your Fun air 40 in yet? How does it compare to the Magic?
Old 06-23-2003, 04:51 PM
tailspnr

Dntmn, I'll post my response in the Fun-Air 3D thread so as not to have to duplicate the response.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Dangerous Dan

cool
Old 12-23-2003, 08:02 PM
furyflyer01

Default RE: Magic owners thread

I have a new Magic w/ the Saito 56 and APC 11-4 prop, performance is awesome!! Straight up vertical rolls out of sight, nice flips, excellent flat spins, etc. Had to add about 4 1/2 oz. of lead to the tail before it would hover easily, but I'm using an 8 oz. tank instead of the stocker. I mounted my batt. pack over the elevator servo also. CG is about 5 3/4" from the leading edge. The gear are definately crap, so I wrapped dental floss around the welds and and made a few passes back and forth to each leg, right at the weld, to keep them from bending outward, and have had no problems since!

I chose the 56 because it's lighter than the 50, more power, and is very controllable in the hover! 15.5 ozs. isn't bad for an engine w/ this much power. Tried a 12-6 and she wouldn't slow down to land and it hovered at less than 1/3 throttle so I went to the 12-4 and is now pretty close to perfect! Hover...1/2 throttle or less, harriers....idle to 1/8 throttle, loops....1/4 throttle. WOT... look out!! I run 25% CP in mine, same as my FURY heli, and it just runs awesome. (Sounds WAY cool too!)

Overall this is a VERY fun airplane, recovers quickly from srcrew ups and flies nice and slow. If you want good inverted better get something else.

Just my 2 cents,

Scott
Old 12-24-2003, 12:17 AM
Chig

Default RE: I have a new Magic w/ the Saito 56

Greets,
Welcome aboard and enjoy Had mine out this afternoon as a matter of fact If you have the means, send up some pics Details on the gear, fuel tank, battery pack etc. would be great. I have been trying to decide if that Saito would be good for the Magic and it sounds like your's is doing just dandy. Mine decided it wants to do a snap roll at the top of my loops today so I flew the ol Stik some till I sort out what's gotten into the Magic. I am still working the cg back and would like to use the battery since that HAS to be in there rather than add more dead weight on the back end. I have not come up with what I consider a suitable mounting for the battery pack over the servos though so would really like to see how you did yours Have Fun
Old 12-24-2003, 09:50 AM
shanes300
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Flat Spinnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I love My magic. I got a 46 fx on it and it will do ALMOST anything. Blenders are a blurr, and doin the ole #9 is a sinch. I am on #3 magic now. I tend to get pretty violent with it in the air[>:]Not over the pitts ofcourse...To me tha Magic is one I ll have around all the time...Oh and flat spinnnnns are as flat as pancakes
Old 12-24-2003, 10:45 AM
aerolou
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Flat Spinnnnnnnnnnnnnn

shanes300,

How do you get yours into that flat spin ?
I it really tail heavy or just extreme control throw.

I have not been able to get mine to flaten out.

Lou

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.