Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Which Morris ARF ???

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Which Morris ARF ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 11:57 PM
RC_Junky
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Morris ARF ???

Of the new ones out, which would be your pick for best 3D and why?
Old 02-23-2002, 04:04 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would like to know which is the best 3D one also, new or not!
Old 02-23-2002, 04:34 AM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

I finished my top cap arf today. so far a well built arf. I was suprized to see such good quality in an arf. I used all of their supplied stuff, except the fuel tank. I put in a hayes because I am using a YS 63. You can probably put the plane together in a night, it is putting all the radio, servo trays, and everthing else that takes time.

The instructions aren't that good. they only hit on the high stuff. All the little things are left out. But if you have put a couple of arf toether, or build a few planes it shouldn't be a problem.

I ordered the knife video, that plane was amazing. the guy at morris I talked to stated" the knife more for learning to hover and knife edge. IT excels very well at that. the video showed it doing knife edge loops, inverted flat spins, tornados, tail touches," "the top cap can do that stuff plus tumble alot better, He states that can learn to hover on a top cap, but it is a little harder, but still very easiely accomplished.

I didn't ask about a sudokio, I know a guy that has a kit sudo, PaulSwanny, he will probablly reply on this topic. and i think he loves it, he is flying it with a mvvs 40. I saw him fly it, it has unlimited vertical, will do inverted flat spins, knife edge loops, all the good stuff. I couldn't believe the power the mvvs 40 had. it made a believer out of me.

I haven't flown my top cap yet, but it looks like it has great potential. I have YS 63, hi-tec 225s on elevator, throttle, rudder, -standard JR517 on alerons, 1100 mh batt. on my old fruit scale weighs 4.5lbs. (I don't know how accurate my scale is though)

IF all the arf that morris produces, are as good as my top cap, quality wise, I don't think you can make a bad choice.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:15 AM
CptCliffhanger
My Feedback: (6)

Default Mostly agree with M.Gramlin

You could make one bad choice. The Knife! Man, that thing sure is ugly!!

I've flown all three ARFs. The Knife I flew was a basketcase. The fuse was bent and it really didn't fly straight! I can't comment on how one would fly with a straight fuse. But I can tell you, It sure is ugly!!

More important than wich one you choose, is how you set it up. A good engine - prop combination is important, as well as CG, and control throws, for your taste of flying. If it doesn't fly right, you're not done setting it up!

Check my review of the TC ARF in this forum "Morris Top Cap ARF".. Mine flew more perfect than I imagined a funfly could! I have made no adjustments since its first flight. 60 seconds into her maiden flight I was tapping the tail. besides, the TC just looks better..
Old 02-28-2002, 05:05 AM
JohnVH

I got mine and a new saito.72 today, did you guys use the stock pull pull cables?
Thanks
Old 02-28-2002, 05:45 AM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

I have flown the su-do khoi with a ys 63 for some time now, and I love it. I also fly the Knife with a os 46 with the baffle removed from the muffler. A 11-5 MA prop on the 46 and it has real good power. The knife hovers better than the su-do-khoi, but it will not do the flips or the climbing flat spin as well as the su-do-khoi. The knife is easier to land thanks to its constant cord wing, it doesn't seem to want to rock as bad flying in a harrier with the wing stalled. Which one is better. It depends. If you are just getting started with 3d I would say the knife. If you want to take it a little farther then I would go with the su-do-khoi, or the top cap. Either way your not going to be disapointed. And you gives a rats fanny if they are ugly. Anybody that runs a profile down either hasn't had one or just can't fly one all that well. They are great planes to learn to hover and torque roll! Just my thoughts.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:46 AM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

The stock pull pull cables are fine. I have never had any trouble with them and I really wring these little things out!
Old 02-28-2002, 06:39 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

now how do those top cap work??? they put all the stuff into the wings? someone explain im confused on how they do that?
Old 02-28-2002, 07:17 PM
vertigo

Default Thick wings

Shortman,
Funfly planes generaly have wings 2 1/2 to 3 inches thick so there's enough room for all the radio gear.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:42 PM
JWilliams

Default Morris planes

I have not flown the Morris arfs' but I have flown nearly every plane they have from a built up kit. You must ask yourself what you want to do? 3d? Then get the top cap or sudokhoi, they flip flop better than the knife, but the knife is easier to hover. If you have learned to hover go with the top cap or sudokhoi they are more challenging to hover and will develop your skills to a higher level in hovering. However, these three planes are all good fliers and you cannot go wrong with any of them. Best of luck and I attached a picture of my new edge. Jeff Williams

Hey vertigo, email me with where you are in Southern Illinois, I used to live there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4260_801.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	3133  
Old 03-01-2002, 01:00 AM
Slocum

Default The Knife Rocks!

Our club has gone Knife crazy! I love my ARF (top) the other two are kit built. It hangs on the prop like I am puting it on a hook! One of the other guys even started tail taping.
All of us use stock O.S. 46

Old 03-01-2002, 01:20 AM
JWilliams

Default knifes are great

Hey that bottom knife used to be mine, I sold it to Bryan Baker glad to see it is in the air again. That very knife was on TV last summer and had its tail hovered into the water. I will post the picture of that soon. My old knife and the middle one were scratch built from plans by the same great framer Dave R. Happy contrails Jeff Williams
Old 03-01-2002, 01:36 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Sudukhoi

My experience....is the suki...
I have owned two......Still have one pristine....Anybody want it.....???
Just get tired of this 3d stuff.....I back in to scale landings and touch and goes.....
Guess I'm an ole fart.
5x5
Old 03-01-2002, 02:55 AM
RC_Junky

Default Re: Sudukhoi

Originally posted by FIVESQUARE
My experience....is the suki...
I have owned two......Still have one pristine....Anybody want it.....???
Just get tired of this 3d stuff.....I back in to scale landings and touch and goes.....
Guess I'm an ole fart.
5x5
All ways in need of replacements, talk to me........ASAP!
Old 03-01-2002, 03:14 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default suki

This isn't the place to deal airplanes....contact me e-mail and lets not pee in someones wheaties
Old 03-01-2002, 03:21 AM
funfly2005

I want the sudo. What do you want for it.
Old 03-01-2002, 03:24 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default sudi

e-mail me...this isn't the forum to deal online...
Thanks
5x5
Old 03-01-2002, 03:25 AM
funfly2005

its mine
Old 03-03-2002, 12:11 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Sudokohi

I have posted the suki w/ pics in the airplanes for sale forum.......
Thanks,
5x5
Old 03-03-2002, 12:52 AM
KNIFE BROTHER

All of the Morris ARFs are incredible flyers. I have owned every one of the Morris profiles short of the Spinsation and multi-engine models and my personal favorite is the Knife. I learned to fly on the Profile Hots.So what if its ugly!! The skills these planes will enable you to develop far outweigh their lack of looks. I always keep a Knife in the trailer to fly during lunch break at IMAC contests. The first reaction I get when I pull it out of the trailer is" I hate those planes, they're so ugly, they don't even look like real planes and they fly terrilble." 10 minutes later after I demonstrate what this thing will do, I'm surrounded by people inquiring about the plane and my set-up. It never fails. Some of the more advanced manuevers that I have developed include inverted Harriers allowing the rudder to drag the ground as the Knife maintains inverted high alpha flight (also a crowd pleaser during my freestyle flight with the 40%, a move I would have never attempted without first mastering it with the Knife), Waterfalls where the rudder actually touches the ground ( I've yet to muster the courage to try this with the big bird, although I've come awful close), blenders that recover 3ft. off the deck, and knocking over soda cans on the runway while in knife edge! I can't praise these planes enough and what they've done for my flying ability! If you think they are ugly GET OVER IT!!! There is no better platform to learn 3-D manuevers. My favorite set-up is the Knife, OS 46FX, Mac's pre-tuned pipe set-up, hi-tec 425 servos ( something cheap, remember this is a tool for learning, not a precision machine and cheap ball bearing servos work fine), Zinger 12x4 prop ( I often hover the plane up close and catch it. A wood prop will do a lot less damage if the unthinkable happens, and it has!) Dubro long servo arms for maximum throw! Get yourself a couple and a case of fuel and take your flying to the next level!!!
Old 03-03-2002, 01:07 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Rc Junky

Come on now Junk........You didn't think I was going to just give it away......Its too hard to ship......
Good Luck,
Old 03-03-2002, 02:25 AM
RC_Junky

Default Re: Rc Junky

Originally posted by FIVESQUARE
Come on now Junk........You didn't think I was going to just give it away......Its too hard to ship......
Good Luck,
Give it away???? What are you talking about? I sent you e-mail / private messages / smoke signals..... I said that I was only interested in the airframe and got no response after that. I thought maybe the other guy beat me out, you said this wasn't the place to talk about it, what else was I to do?
Old 03-03-2002, 04:47 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

on the top cap ARF or kit, where is the fuel tank???
Old 03-03-2002, 04:53 AM
JohnVH

It goes in the wing, I just finnished my Topcap arf today, hopefully fly tomorrow!! Saito.72, took about 8 or so hours to build.
Old 03-03-2002, 05:24 AM
jmulder

Default ugly?

Originally posted by captaincliffhan
You could make one bad choice. The Knife! Man, that thing sure is ugly!!

I've flown all three ARFs. The Knife I flew was a basketcase. The fuse was bent and it really didn't fly straight! I can't comment on how one would fly with a straight fuse. But I can tell you, It sure is ugly!!

More important than wich one you choose, is how you set it up. A good engine - prop combination is important, as well as CG, and control throws, for your taste of flying. If it doesn't fly right, you're not done setting it up!

Check my review of the TC ARF in this forum "Morris Top Cap ARF".. Mine flew more perfect than I imagined a funfly could! I have made no adjustments since its first flight. 60 seconds into her maiden flight I was tapping the tail. besides, the TC just looks better..

Whats so ugly about the Knife? I kinda like mine..........John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4516_665.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	3134  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.