Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Building a QHOR, PQHOR, and a SPA3D

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Building a QHOR, PQHOR, and a SPA3D

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 11:12 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a QHOR, PQHOR, and a SPA3D

Here is pictures of my Qhor
4 stand Jr BB servos
600MH nicad
Hitec 8chan supreme RX
40FP and moosecan
weight is 3lbs 2oz.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	65627_1868.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	37804  
Old 03-25-2003, 11:16 PM
m.gramling

Last one.

This thing has some serious potential. I think its going to do real good at harriers. I have to remount my fuel tank, this idea with zipties and foam didn't work. So I will try something else. And I need to add a tailwheel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	65630_1868.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	37805  
Old 03-26-2003, 02:28 AM
ben flyn

It's starting to come over me. I'm getting ill. I think I'm becoming ( in a whisper) ...... a.........a spadohalic.....
It started with a PBF (Thanks Dave)
Now with a QHOR (Thanks Tattoo)
Next.... I hate to tell you... I'm looking at ALL my unbuilt planes and I'm thinking.......Hmmm... if I sold all of these, how many flight paks, and how my spads could I build?
If this isn't bad enough.... I now wonder thru stores.... ANY STORES ..... EVEN FABRIC STORES ... (oh no!) looking for newer spad materials!
(I'm now breaking into a sweat)..... Monday when I was in the dentist chair.... in order to forget about the pain.... I began to design spads in my head!!!!!!

OH PLEEEAASSE HELP ME!!!!!!!

p.s. IS there AAA for spadohalic?? What I'm I to do????
Old 03-26-2003, 04:00 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ben,
I'm really sorry that my PBF design infected you with the SPAD virus. <insert evil laugh and evil grin here>

But I know EXACTLY what you mean! First the PBF.....and now the QHOR.

I was in the process of finishing a Sig Cap 231 ARF, and building a Menace Plus when Tattoo posted the QHOR plans. Oh well, the Sig Cap (an ARF no less) can wait......and the ready-to-cover Menace Plus will have to wait too. Getting the QHOR into the air became an absolute top priority!

Meanwhile 4 weeks later, I'm still having a blast wringing out the QHOR......the partially built Sig Cap and Menace Plus haven't been touched.....my Fazer hasn't been flown since building the QHOR.....and I've only flown my U-Can-Do a few times since building the QHOR.

I spent yesterday evening tinkering with my QHOR....swapping out the Norvel 25 for an OS 40FP. Not sure why, other than I'm curious to see how the 25 size QHOR performs with a bushing 40. Weather permitting, I'll find out tomorrow how it compares.

What's wrong with me?!?!?!?!?

Holy Coroplast Batman! I think I've come down with a terminal case of
Simple
Plastic
Airplane
Disease!

(Thanks Tattoo!)
Old 03-26-2003, 05:50 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, after reading this, and loving the PBF, I know what Im building next!!!

Great job guys!!!

I love the profile additions to it, very cool!!
Old 03-26-2003, 01:04 PM
Tattoo

I feel your pain!!!!...my combat flight packs and engines are turning into QHORS and I'm finding the desire to chase streamers is turning into toilet bowls and tail touches. I've tried the twelve step program...but ended up with more Spads and never made it past step 2. To date there is no known cure
Old 03-26-2003, 05:00 PM
m.gramling

I got a 40fp and moosecan on my qhor, eventhought I have only flown it 1 time. I like it much better than a PBF

By the way DAve McD. Hows the ST90 running with the moosecan.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:48 PM
Dave McDonald

m.gramling,
I like my QHOR better for vertical hovering and torque rolling, but the PBF still vastly out maneuvers the QHOR in 3D flight. The QHOR is much more stable in "normal" flight, but my QHOR has probably got less than 5 minutes total time in "normal" flight. The rest of the hours of flight time have been in 3D flight.

The MCP on the UCD is on hold for now since I haven't yet purchased a real Macs header for it. Been flying it with a sorta stock muffler instead, which seems to have made the ST 90 into a reliable engine. Otherwise I would have re-kitted the UCD long ago.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:29 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

My ST 90 on my SuDoKhoi 60 rocks!!! just running the stock exhaust with a 14 x 6 prop.... pulls out just fine... plenty of power and super reliable.....

Oh... and I love my qhor too.... (had to tie this back to the original thread topic )

BTW... has anyone increased the ailerons on this beast? my roll rate kinda sucks.... Also I'm not too happy with the servo setup on it either.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:39 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Tatoo,
any instructions or link on how to build that GeeBeeGhor ?
Thanks
Old 03-26-2003, 08:05 PM
Tattoo

No there sure isn't...it follows the Spad philosophy of taking an airframe (QHOR) and a picture, and throw in a little TLAR (that looks about right) and building it and see what happens!
Old 03-27-2003, 02:18 AM
ben flyn

Paul, I have 2 1/2" ailerons (no taper) on my QHOR boy does it roll!
Old 03-27-2003, 02:51 AM
m.gramling

I hadn't started wringing my out yet but I have my alierons 2 1/2" at channel tapered to 1" at tips. I can get about 40* worth of throw on my alierons if needed.
I played with it today. I think my 40fp and moosecan is going to hover this thing just a tad under 1/2 throttle. So pulling out of a hover should be real good. Since my weight is around 3lbs 2oz. Vertical performance should be outstanding.

I build a just a stock rudder. I just hope it has enough rudder authority in a hover.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:38 PM
JohnVH

Need an opinion guys, I messed up and bought a bunch of coro that was only 24" wide, will this be a problem on the QHOR? 6" is alot to loose for wingspan, anyone else try it yet???

Like to see what you QHOR experts think...

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2003, 10:55 PM
ben flyn

John, How about a QHOR Pizza box?
You could join the wing halves together after you scored and bent them I just don't know how strong they would be?
OR... a .20 size QHOR?
Old 03-28-2003, 06:25 AM
JohnVH

I thought about joining them too, but not sure about that idea....

Surely someone has tried it by now???
Old 03-29-2003, 05:43 AM
Dave McDonald

When I replaced the Norvel 25 with the OS 40FP, it added 3 ounces of weight to the nose, and moved the balance point to right on the top fold instead of 1/2" behind the fold.

The Norvel 25 and the OS 40FP are very similar in power, so there wasn't much difference there.

But with the CG on the top fold, the QHOR now felt very nose heavy, and it lost a noticeable amount of the agility and 3D performance that I had gotten used to. The QHOR was still fun to fly......but not as much fun.

My nephew Bryan also had his brand new OS 40FP powered QHOR out there for the maiden flight. But his QHOR was balanced slightly behind the top fold to start with, which made it fly better than mine with the CG on the top fold.

Rather than reposition the wing on my QHOR to correct the CG, I just put the Norvel 25 back on. Only now the Norvel 25 has a brand new Mousse Can Pipe on it. Can't wait to test it out!
Old 03-30-2003, 12:36 AM
Tattoo

Here's my latest. 18" average chord wing x 32" span. 4" tapered to 2" ailerons. Airfoil fold is 5" from LE. 3" elevator and 4" rudder. Norvel .25 for power and 3 pounds 5 ounces. Hope to fly it tomorrow or Monday. BTW, took less than an hour and a half to build the plane...took almost 4 hours to sticker it!

Old 03-30-2003, 01:11 AM
kamlooper
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That is sick Tattoo!! Looks fantastic...cant wait to hear how it flys.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:35 AM
Kevins_RC

Tatoo - That is awesome! Its hard to believe that it is a SPAD.
Ans. a couple of questions for me.
1. How are cutting out the profile portion of the fuse?
2. How does the QHOR fly inverted? Or does it?

Needless to say, I real courious how the new QHOR does. BTW, you ought to come up with a new name for this one - maybe, AWE-HOR (for awesome hor) <LOL>
Kevin
Old 03-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Tattoo

Thanks!!!

1. How are cutting out the profile portion of the fuse?
It's totally TLAR! (That looks about right). I built the rest of the plane to flight ready first. Then I cut the fuselage piece to the right length, and then hinged the rudder at 4". I then set it on top of the plane and marked the locations of the servos. Using a spare servo for height, I marked and made the servo cut-outs. Then I layed it on the table and used an exacto to freehand the profile untill it looked cool. At this time I added the rudder control horn and tail wheel wire. Then set it back on top of the plane for weight and balance. Once the location of the wing is finalized, I marked and trimmed the fuselage for the wing area...then just screwed it on with PVC scrap backers.

2. How does the QHOR fly inverted? Or does it?
It flies GREAT inverted!
Old 03-30-2003, 11:52 PM
Tattoo

We had a pruly HORriffic day at the field today! 8) Sassy's GeeBee flies AWESOME (she'll be reporting in the RCReport contest area at Spadworld), and I got to fly my new one...Holy cow ROCK ON BABY!!! With the monster ailerons, big fat elevator and barn door rudder...as well as the 18" chord with the airfoil fold at 5" back...it dead sticks beautiful (still high drag but totally controllable to soft landing)...it flat spins sweet, it inverted flat spins just as sweet...outside loops rock and are as tight as inside loops. Balance is right on the fold with a full tank. Nice toilet bowls and I even got it to tumble forward. Of course harriers and hovers (wish I was better at it!) are rock solid. BTW, there is only 1/4" space between the top of the rail and the wing at the airfoil fold. This totally solidifies my suspicions that the flatter the wing on a QHOR, the better it flies!!!

Old 03-31-2003, 12:10 AM
BUCKETOBOLTS

When are you going to post a plan of the modified version?
Old 03-31-2003, 02:01 AM
ben flyn

Great pic's Tattoo! I flew mine again today. WHAT A BLAST! My QHOR flies slower than my old Magic. I reminds me a lot of the Magic but hovers 10 times easier! It is the best plane I've ever had!
Old 03-31-2003, 03:12 AM
m.gramling

I would also like plans on the new modified one. I flew my Q-yesturday. I was flying it in about 10mph wind. and it was a harriering machine.

my motor mount and AL channel were off just a tad, so hovering it was real tuff. I had tons of left rudder authority, but hardly no right. I had to hold almost full right rudder in it to. get it to stay in a hover.
I moved it over today, and I will fly it later this week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.