Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Looking for 1st profile

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Looking for 1st profile

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:48 AM
CopperheadAV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for 1st profile

Razorback58

What is the difference between the P Kat and the Kat V2?????
Old 08-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Razorback58
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: CopperheadAV

Razorback58

What is the difference between the P Kat and the Kat V2?????

Danged if I know, other than the V2 has removeable wings? [sm=72_72.gif] I've been asking this same question? From what I've been told so far, this is basically the only difference.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:16 AM
CopperheadAV

Here is the reason why I ask, I am currently writing a book on the history of RC for Stackpole. I have placed some emphases on the profile section cuz I'm a profile guy. Everyone points to the single wing P Kat as the Mac Daddy profile of it's day but know body wants to own up to it's design. So I have known source to quote?????
Old 08-14-2007, 11:44 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

The Chinese factory engineers desigend the plane and they did a good job. There are a lot of RC models on the market that most would be especially shocked to know that they were actually designed by Chinese engineers and not American designers. But who am I to start these factual conspiracies.

Right after the first run of Kat's in the states, OMP met with Accel hobbies, at the time the importer, helped to improved it's design, a tweak here and a tweak there. Then TMPro took over the factory and improved the design and hardware even further.

If you goto OMP's website you can see all the improvements in the 2 photos on the Kat V2 ARF page. The photos demonstrate all the improvements made to the airplane by TMPro. There are a bunch.

But the best news is ... a V3 is in the works. Lighter, stronger, better and best of all, same shape.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:35 PM
CopperheadAV

Good info D, Exactly what factory was that?? The reason I ask is that I see the P Kat and the V2 on a particular factory site. My interest is if this is truly the Oracle of 3D profiles, I want to talk to these people.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:28 PM
STLPilot

Good info D, Exactly what factory was that?? The reason I ask is that I see the P Kat and the V2 on a particular factory site. My interest is if this is truly the Oracle of 3D profiles, I want to talk to these people.
Well give em a call and ask them how much it costs to take over. However you should know very well that the Katanas have a huge following globally. Life doesn't end with the Pro Bro's.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:38 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

I've never quite understood how the third version of the Katana profile ARF, especially now that the same core group of people were involved, got to be named V2?

Shouldn't it have been V3?
Old 08-14-2007, 09:42 PM
TailTwister

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Well give em a call and ask them how much it costs to take over. However you should know very well that the Katanas have a huge following globally. Life doesn't end with the Pro Bro's.
I wonder if they would take $45 per plane?
Old 08-15-2007, 07:51 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: TailTwister

That depends there Frank, but I don't think $45 will get you too far, you missed a few costs basis and labor factors if you actually intend to sell each of your airplanes. First off before you get that kind of price you also have to commit to a few thousand pieces and then you have to spend 10's of thousands of dollars AND your time to advertise and run your operations. Let's see you have to pay for artwork, warehousing, salespeople, international container shipping, corporation, accounting, taxes, website, shopping cart, credit card companies, printing, office supplies, samples coming back and forth from China, magazines, website banners, demos to potential distributors and other freebies, shipping damage and replacement parts. And let's not forget all of those misc costs, always a bunch of them pop up from time to time. Then after all those bills are covered you have to pay yourself, I mean you can't work for free, can you?

Now of course you may get away with just buying the planes for that wonderful price, plus container shipping and then sell them door to door for cash. But even that cost factor can escalate quickly if you intend to peddle them with more resources then just the cost of a pair of shoes.

Oh and before you start provding insider information, once again, you might want to contact OMP and ask if they mind that their sponsor pilot is disclosing one of their exclusive model airplane costs to the public.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:16 AM
sean sutherland
My Feedback: (2)

Ol Butt Twister! At it again huh you really think you have got this all sorted out dont you ....

[link]http://www.tmproaustralia.com[/link]
Old 08-15-2007, 07:21 PM
TailTwister

ORIGINAL: sean sutherland

Ol Butt Twister! At it again huh you really think you have got this all sorted out dont you ....

[link]http://www.tmproaustralia.com[/link]
Only compared to some...
Old 08-15-2007, 07:24 PM
TailTwister

ORIGINAL: TailTwister

That depends there Frank, but I don't think $45 will get you too far, you missed a few costs basis and labor factors if you actually intend to sell each of your airplanes. First off before you get that kind of price you also have to commit to a few thousand pieces and then you have to spend 10's of thousands of dollars AND your time to advertise and run your operations. Let's see you have to pay for artwork, warehousing, salespeople, international container shipping, corporation, accounting, taxes, website, shopping cart, credit card companies, printing, office supplies, samples coming back and forth from China, magazines, website banners, demos to potential distributors and other freebies, shipping damage and replacement parks. And let's not forget all of those misc costs, always a bunch of them pop up from time to time. Then after all those bills are covered you have to pay yourself, I mean you can't work for free, can you?

Now of course you may get away with just buying the planes for that wonderful price, plus container shipping and then sell them door to door for cash. But even that cost factor can escalate quickly if you intend to peddle them with more resources then just the cost of a pair of shoes.

Oh and before you start provding insider information, once again, you might want to contact OMP and ask if they mind that their sponsor pilot is disclosing one of their exclusive model airplane costs to the public.
I honestly have no idea what the Kats cost OMP. I was referring to a conversation that you were once involved in regarding another plane. honestly, Mike and I never talk money. That's between those three guys. none of my business...
Old 08-15-2007, 10:30 PM
karmann34
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: cameron724

Have a 45 size motor laying around ,thought about trying a profile,arf style any suggestions without breakin the bank
Hi, what kind of a 45 size motor is yours?
Really, the more I learn about these planes, the more I see a trend of what works best because it is popular. Most of the people I fly with work regular jobs or have their own busnesses. Yeah, some people can throw a lot of money at anything to have fun. Your first profile doesn't need to be bullet proof, unless you just have to hover on the deck right now. So, what's best and doesn't break the bank? Relatively thinking, that depends of what kind of a 45 you have right now and how old it is, how well it idles and transitions to high speed, what kind of prop can it turn, etc... Any plane mentioned in this thread will be best for a good 45.
My first plane was a MOJO 60. I am the 4th or 5th owner of it. I haven't crashed it, but based on its condition when handed to me, I expect it has been repaired once of twice at least. Definitely almost bullet proof. Of course, your 45 won't be quite enough for the 60 size, but the MOJO 40 would probably be a lot of fun and I've seen those fly a lot. Right now I am flying yet another MOJO 60 that I bought from the builder. Still have the first one too. Keep it at my girlfriends for the weekends. I have a Chinn Yak 40, but one of my buds wants it. So I'm going to get MOJO 40. Dangit! either that of the OMP Edge. Decisons, decisons

Just saw that you have a Supertiger 45 on the other "best 40 size" thread. That's cool! Let her rip!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:39 PM
karmann34
My Feedback: (5)

Oops! TT, you can't get a break can you.
Hang in there man.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:23 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

A good way to end up with $10,00.00 in the kit business is start with $20,000.00
Old 08-31-2007, 12:38 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

I probably too late as usual, but here's my experience. I bought the Katana GS a couple years ago as my 3rd plane. I flew it for a couple years until this summer. It is a great plane at knife edge and rolls super quick, but it isn't what 'd call a great first profile. Because of the quad tapered wing it's rolls and snaps quickly. In harrier it also wing rocks until you get the plane into a very HA condition. I had to rebuild my fuse twice because the landing gear block and balsa fuse stringers broke on rough landings.

The TMPro Extra looks to me like it would be similar to the Kat if not a little quicker. The wing looks to be similar but maybe even a bit thinner. Not what you'd want in a first profile

This summer I bought an OMP Edge V3. What a difference! It is much more stable, very easy to learn harrier and hovering. It's also much stronger than the Kat. On the down side it's got a little more coupling in knife edge and it rolls a little slower too.

I've heard nothing but good reviews on the Mojo series and the ARF should be out in a month or two if you can wait that long.

Good luck,

Chris
Old 08-31-2007, 10:45 PM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edge V3 coupling in KE? Mine is very clean in that respect. I had a very small pitch to canopy in KE that was taken out with about 3% mix. Very small amount...

Perhaps if you're carrying loads of elevator trim due to a CG issue....pitching in KE could vary.

I like that airplane (Edge V3). Flies like a dream.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:33 AM
AFSalmon

Most coupling issues are due to either cg issues or aileron reflex (i.e. both ailerons not centered with the wing). Check to make sure your ailerons are centered and not angled slightly up or down when nuetral and also play with your cg until the plane flies nuetral to only slightly nose down when inverted.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:34 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Mike,

I mentioned this on the PB forums. I need to hold a slight bit of aileron in KE. I have to add it so that the top aileron pushes towards the canopy, doesn't matter which way I do the KE. It is slight. I have a mix to counter it on a switch and it's only around 5% rudder to alieron. The CG is towards the rear of the range (5" seems to pop in my head and it flies fairly neutral inverted. I'm using a Saito 82 with a MAS 14x6 S2.

I needed a rudder to elevator mix on my Kat, but it wouldn't try to roll out of KE like this one does. Like I said it has a LITTLE more coupling in KE, but everything else is much better. Anytime anyone talks about the KAT the first thing they say us how well it flies in KE.

Chris
Old 09-07-2007, 06:49 AM
AFSalmon

I too need to hold a little aileron I think if I recall. I think the weight of the gear cause a lot of planes to want to roll gear down when on knife edge. Not hard to compensate for though. I do know I've got to replace my rudder hinges.....too much banging on the ground!
Old 11-18-2007, 10:21 PM
bbike

hmm, im in the same market, was going to go with the tmpro katana but if it really has an issue with wing rock in harriers, maybe il take the plunge and go with the omp edge
Old 11-19-2007, 05:27 AM
AKFireMedic

I don't think you'll regret the edge.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Hobby-Motory

the wing rock was mentioned regard the Katana GS
and not the Katana V2 by TMPro.

If talking some engineering, the construction of the wing tubes
inside the center of the two halfs gives some additional weight
to the center of the wing, what gives it better performance on harriers for example...
You could really feel the differance when you fly both,
on the Katana V2 70 since the wing is quite long too, its even easier to harrier and it doesnt even near to rock!!

The Katana V2 46 and 70 are now available in the US.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:40 PM
danny31292

MOJO Arf all the way. Ah but I guess ya gotta give the omp edge v3 a shout out too.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:06 AM
somegeek

What are the design differences between the Mojo 40 & Burrito? I'd like a plane to hone my 3d skills a bit. There are some folks at my field that bought some electric foamie profiles to work on things and said they're a great tool for learning 3d... I'd like a nitro breathing profile kit. Flying a SSE, SPAD Dogfighter and Sickle at the moment. SSE gets most of my time when I'm at the field.

I've got a OS .46 AX with a flight pack I can usefor this build. Imagine this engine would do okay if I did my best to keep weight down when building the plane. Would like to build a kit that this engine can 3d well. Swany's House page lists both planes at 4-4.5lb. See a lot of praise for the Mojo 40.

somegeek

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.