Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Why you love the OMP Fusion?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Why you love the OMP Fusion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why you love the OMP Fusion?

Started on the build yesterday. I decided to start with the wings because generally that is my least favorite part of building. The first wing half has gone together well and I really like how its built.

After framing it up the wing is almost impossible to flex. I think we all have had headaches when a wing torques a bit when the covering shrinks but this wing is solid. Its also super easy to build straight.

So far 2 thumbs up on the build.

One thing I dont undestand is on the bottom of the wing why is the inner bay sheeted, the second bay open, and then the third bay sheeted? Is it just to give the covering a good frame to stick to around the servo? It seems like the frame you make for the servo would be enough.

Not a big deal, just curious, this is the first plane I have seen with the sheeting that way.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:26 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Good questions Gringo. The reason the root bay is sheeted is to add strength to this most important bay. The root bay has the most stress and loads and tying the R1 and R2 ribs together forms a box sort of which greatly adds to the overall strength. The servo bay is sheeted also to add rigidity to this bay as all the aileron aero-loads will be transferred through the pushrod to the servo. In other words if you have a 100 in-oz torque servo in there then the servo mount and surrounding structure need to handle 100 oz of force. Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 05-15-2008, 08:16 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

My Fusion is the only glow plane that gets flown lately, I'm getting the hang of it, almost got a hovering circle going. I tilt it to HA KE & then use elev to steer it around,lots of fun, I finally got several hovering tail touches in too. One thing, I dont see how Spacey could hold the plane for a hand launch, I like to do that sort of stuff too but its too weak in the canopy area, it crushes the frame, I wonder if he built it up in that area?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Spacey

Three thoughts:

Please don't try what I did in the video at home kids! It's stupid and should only be done by people who live in wild africa who's lives are worth less than a cheap cell phone. It's dangerous and irrisponsible. (Sorry I'm trying to quit smoking...really...it's going tough).

My bird's not an ARF, go check out the beginning of the thread. The kit has a foam core fus.

And then lastly, when you got a hold of the bird like that it's still hanging from the prop. Your hand is just stabilizing it, my advice though is to never just shut the throttle when you catch a plane like that. They do tend to get rather heavy rather quickly that way. Bwhahahah
Old 05-15-2008, 08:45 AM
MIXMASTER

It was a good guess, I was thinking of it, it is a cool thing to do, I did it a few times with a Su-Do_Khoi. Then I left a mix on(elev-flap) and hand launched it, when I pulled up it came over the top and right at me, scared the bejesus out of me & a buddy too! Havent done it since but the Fusion makes me want to give it another go, I could cut some covering & add some hard balsa or even CF to the "Handle". mmmmmmmmmm?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:56 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't catch mine but have hand launched it. The canopy area will crack if you grab it wrong. I gently pick it up level and use the engine power rotate it. At this point like Spacey said your hand is holding it in place. Then just let it go. One other thing. It is always blowing here. Let it go with the wind to your back. This will blow it away from you.
Also like Spacey said. This is not the safest thing to do. If you do not have 100% confidence in your skills and equipment. Don't try this.

David
Old 05-15-2008, 09:04 AM
MIXMASTER

Yep, thats the safest way to do it, downwind & at a slight angle away from you, if the throtlle is just right, it will not fall but gently climb away, or you can go full to let it rocket up straight. I was thinking it would be a great way to start a close in hover.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:09 PM
skyhawk73

I strapped a 14 oz Tetra bladder tank on with the piano wire and rubber bands. Worked like a charm. No more bubble problems.
However, I did notice that my Saito 125 made short work of the 14 oz. Maybe the bladder holds less than expected or 14 oz. just
ain't enough for a satisfactory flight time.
Also, I noticed a little fuel accumulated outside the bladder after six flights. Maybe I'm getting blowback residue from the muffler line.
Also noticed the hastle of filling without a tanker surrenge. Ordered a tanker surrenge from Jett to help facilitate fueling. Seems
Jett only sells a 11oz tanker surrenge.???
I could use allot more than six minute flights.
I'm thinking the Saito 125 is too much engine - a two stroker might not vibrate as much and might not be as thursty as a four stroker.
I'll see how I feel after twenty more flights.

BTW - filling the nose with guirilla glue and painting clear finger nail polish on the stripes had no negative consequences.
Thanks
Old 05-30-2008, 07:29 PM
grnd0
My Feedback: (4)

Just put the first flights on my arf Fusion with an O.S.120AX. It ROCKS......
I had so much fun even with the brand new 120 and winds around 15mph.
It does everything so good. Only thing I couldn't get dialed in was flat
spins. Maybe too much elevator throw. Best HAKE' er ever. This thing
was made to knife edge. All the covering was still on too after 5 flights.
One more thing that made me real happy, I can get it my Venture van
in one piece.

Larry
Old 05-31-2008, 09:51 AM
daveopam

Larry, try a few pinwheels. Go up into a hover give full right rudder and full power at the same time.

David
Old 05-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Ernie Misner

Okay, slight change here, sorry, but what does everyone think of the 40 size Fusion compared to newer offerings??? (I have a 55AX lookin' for a new home....)

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 05-31-2008, 08:12 PM
grnd0

I have the Fusion52 with a Saito 82. Flies great but nothing like
the 67". I just put five more flights on the 67 and it's my new
favorite plane....

Larry
Old 06-01-2008, 06:25 AM
bikermonkey

For you gurus who fly the fusion, I have three engines, Saito 63, Saito 82 and Saito 115,, I want a Fusion, so which one would be best considering the power plants I have.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:23 AM
grnd0

The 67 incher with the Saito 115 if you're not too high in
elevation. The bigger Fusion is a better flier. I like my
profiles to be user friendly and was real happy it fit in
my van in one piece. Assembly would be worse than my
big gassers at the field. That may be a deciding factor
for some people.

Larry
Old 06-01-2008, 09:44 PM
skyhawk73

Fifteenth flight with a Fusion 90 witha Saito 125. I thought it was fun then let
our clubs TopGun fly it. He said it was the best flying 3D airplane he's flown.
I'm still experimenting with the bubbless bladder tank. It works great but
fuel management is frustrating compared to conventional configurations. However,
I like the bubblefree feature of the Tetra and Jett Bubbless tanks. I fly less distracted
without bubbles and missfires.

Still testing the Fusion 90 limits and character,
Sky
Old 06-02-2008, 12:17 AM
Ernie Misner

Hi Skyhawk, what prop and fuel on that 125?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 06-02-2008, 08:29 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: skyhawk73

Fifteenth flight with a Fusion 90 witha Saito 125. I thought it was fun then let
our clubs TopGun fly it. He said it was the best flying 3D airplane he's flown.

Wow that is quite a statement. Thanks Sky!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:51 AM
MIXMASTER

I let up on the 30% gassers for a day & flew the Fusion again, we had a 10-15 cross wind & I had fun holding HA KE hovers into the wind. I still think the Fusion is the best 3-D glow I've ever had too. It harriers w/o any mixing, just needs a lot of right aileron to control rocking, with spoilerons, it harriers in stronger winds. With the OS 1.20AX, hovering is awesome & very little strain on the engine, no fuel system needed, the tank location is very close to the engine, I'm not having any bubbles or any problem at all. I could sell it, but the Velox or U-Can-Do is going first.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:03 AM
daveopam

Ernie, I also have a 67" with a 1.25. I run 15% powermaster and turn a Master Airscrew Scimitar series 16x6.

David
Old 06-09-2008, 10:07 PM
bikermonkey

Just ordered an 67" Fusion for my YS110 and the Boxer for my Saito82,, is there happiness in my future I wonder.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:59 AM
MIXMASTER

The 67" Fusion is an excellent 3-D plane, sport,pattern & IMAC style. It has very light wing loading @ 7 lbs+. I think it hovers & HAKE the best . I have 2 of the best 30% gas planes available and I still can enjoy the Fusion, even in wind.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:47 PM
bikermonkey

Planes arrived today, next day shipping. Packages arrived safe. Contents, well packed and organized. First impression of Fusion,,light. Very light.
The Boxxer; wings smaller than envisioned. Both planes looks sweet, great graphics, basically wrinkle free. Build looks easy, straight forward and simple. So far so good.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Spacey

Nice enjoy em! Remember the Boxxer is a bipe, you gotta look at both wings.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Texas_Flyer

I am new to this thread and have two questions. I'm considering this plane and have a Saito 1.25.

1. Throughout this thread, I see comments about 4-strokes causing vibation and air bubbles. Has anyone tried using rubber washers betweeen the engine and fuse - sort of like a soft mount? I've never tried that, but would think it would help from transferring all the vibration.
2. I'm also looking at the OMP Yak-SP55M ARF 65" (http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/comer...?idProduct=319). I like the lower wing-loading and the covering design (great colors and nice contrast with back). How do these two compare in flight characteristics?

Thanks,

Alan

Old 06-15-2008, 02:15 AM
Spacey

Yes soft mounting the four strokes on the profiles have been discussed in length and it can be done with success. I myself aren't so sure if that's going to make the world of difference though as you still have a form of hard mounting in the bolts. See you can't make the link between the motor and the fuselage a vibration isolator as such, there will always be a hard link so why most reckon it's just not worth it. Don't worry about the Saito on the Fusion though, just ensure you get a light prop on it, balance things very well and get some decent foam between the tank and the fuselage. It'll be fine if you take the basic precautions trust me!

Now as for the Yak compared to the Fusion. Yak's a full on 3D plane, down on the deck and wild fun fly style flying.

Fusion can also 3D with the best but a little more precision bird also, jack of all trades sort of thing but from the owners who has Fusions they'll all attest the part of that saying that it's a master of none does not apply. It's a great bird all round.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.